Slimline 3 SWM During Heavy Rain

Status
Please reply by conversation.

heyyofan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 15, 2015
saint louis, mo
I am just wondering How the Slimline 3 SWM During Heavy Rain.
I live in an apartment complex and with the Satellites just having Access to just 3 Satellites IF the HD Signals Go Out Will I Still Be Able to Receive SD Channels??

Yes, since the SL3S LNB sees the 101 where your Sd channels come from you can still watch SD channels. You must go to the DISPLAY menu and un-hide the SD channels which are hidden by default. Keep in mind that while SD channels are impacted much less by rain, they are not exempt for rain fade.

Reminds me of working for smart circle, i would show up to installs where the customer would ask for the new lnb that picked up 5 satellites, that way they had 2 backup satellites in case the rain knocked out the other ones.

I am just wondering How the Slimline 3 SWM During Heavy Rain.
I live in an apartment complex and with the Satellites just having Access to just 3 Satellites IF the HD Signals Go Out Will I Still Be Able to Receive SD Channels??
:welcome to Satelliteguys heyyofan!
You are fortunate that in St Louis the local channels that are in sd come from the 101 satellite so you can use them as a backup when necessary. In some areas they come from the 119 satellite which your 3 swm lnb doesn't get.

What Is Rain Fade?
It's when the Signal is interrupted from the Satellite to your satellite dish, because the cloud tops are High and thick from Thunder Storms, even Heavy snow or sleet.

But actually it's not really from the rain hitting your dish at all.
It's from the densely packed storm clouds.
You can have the worst pouring down rain and thunder and lightning and not loose a signal.
It's only when the storm is in the southwestern sky blocking the view of your satellite dish, to the actual satellite.

I've had lost signal numerous times before it even started raining. And gotten the signal back long before it was done raining.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If you watch the weather radar and see a big red patch move between you and the satellites (over the equator) that's when you lose signal. Technically speaking it is raindrops that cause the attenuation but it's within the cloud, nothing to do with rain on the dish itself.

Reactions: Troch77
From the Remote -Menu -Settings & Help - Settings- Display-Preferences - Guide Channels - Select Show all Channels - and it will update the guide to show a duplicated SD Channels.

:welcome to Satelliteguys heyyofan!
You are fortunate that in St Louis the local channels that are in sd come from the 101 satellite so you can use them as a backup when necessary. In some areas they come from the 119 satellite which your 3 swm lnb doesn't get.

Or don't exist at all. My home locals don't have SD versions (Burlington VT DMA)...

Reactions: Mr Tony
Or don't exist at all. My home locals don't have SD versions (Burlington VT DMA)...
True, some locals are hd only, but since he was asking about getting sd locals when hd went out.....

The DirecTV HD Channels all use the KA Microwave band which are more susceptible to Rain Fade. All DirecTV SD services use KU Band.

John

The DirecTV HD Channels all use the KA Microwave band which are more susceptible to Rain Fade. All DirecTV SD services use KU Band.

John
Not quite. There are a few HD channels on the 119 using the KU band. So not ALL HD channels use the KA band, however the vast majority do.

Like what? Spanish channels?

If there was HD on 119 we would be installing slimline 5 dishes all day.
Yes, There are 2 or 3 HD Spanish language channels coming from the 119. You need an Spanish language package to be able to get them. If you have an SD receiver check trans ponder 29, it should be 0 since that is a KA tans ponder that a SD receiver can't receive.

Yes, There are 2 or 3 HD Spanish language channels coming from the 119. You need an Spanish language package to be able to get them. If you have an SD receiver check trans ponder 29, it should be 0 since that is a KA tans ponder that a SD receiver can't receive.
Were these not on the 95 Sat ?
Whats going on with that one ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts