HR54 update 0xd1e breaks power on sequence?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

zim2dive

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Cary, NC
My setup is

HR54 -> (HDMI) -> Denon AVR2113 -> (HDMI) -> LG TV -> (ARC) -> Denon

The power on sequence was always

TV + HR54.. the TV would show the picture with no sound.. and then via HDMI CEC, the TV would turn on the the AVR, the picture would blank off and then come back with video + audio.

Since the update last week, when the AVR comes on, the TV then reports there is no active source (and since I am using ARC, no sound either). I have to manually press the AVR remote to (re)select the HR54 input.

Nothing in the system changed.. except our HR54 reports it applied an update Wed Jun 21 (to rev 0xd1e... and "die" is rather appropriate given the result). I don't believe in coincidences.

I've tried changing the AVR settings to default to the HR54 input, etc etc, but can't find any way to get this to work as it did before.

I'm out of my depth on what is happening under the covers, but wonder if there was an HDMI handshaking issue introduced? Other ideas? How does one report such an issue in the hopes it might get un-broken?

EDIT: adding a smart remote is not something we want to do.

Are you using the peanut remote? With my HR44, the Genie comes on first, then my tv, then the Yamaha amp. It will auto select the correct input on the Yamaha if it's necessary. Then for some reason, it always goes to another input, and then switches back to the right one.

Menu > Settings and Help > Settings > Video > Preferences > HDMI control. Make sure it is on. Normally a software update does not change this setting, but it doesn't hurt to check.

I basically went in the settings and told my AVR it only had this one input (disabled all others)... now it is working. What I was seeing was it turn on to the DVR video source.. then switch over to TV Audio (for ARC) which had no Video associated with it (and never has).... I dunno.. it is working for now.

Reactions: raoul5788
I basically went in the settings and told my AVR it only had this one input (disabled all others)... now it is working. What I was seeing was it turn on to the DVR video source.. then switch over to TV Audio (for ARC) which had no Video associated with it (and never has).... I dunno.. it is working for now.

I didn't do a thorough test.. with "TV audio" hidden as a source, the AVR doesn't seem to do ARC.. and as such if I am watching something thru the TV (ie. its a smart TV), no audio.

When I re-enable "TV audio" such that ARC works, back to the original turn-on problem.

No one else is seeing this issue?

the only other ideas I have to try would be to

- disable all sources except "TV audio" (altho Denon doesn't seem to let you pick a video source for this, so that seems problematic)
- run a digital audio cable back from the TV to the AVR.. and pair that audio input with the DVR video input

but dang it.. this was all working until the 0xd1e update....

I had a similar problem with my HR54, Pioneer VSX-90, and Sony XBR70X850B. I eventually turned off ARC for audio. I still use HMDI-CEC, so the TV controls the AVR power and volume settings, but the Pioneer is using the audio directly from the HR54 input, not from ARC.

I had a similar problem with my HR54, Pioneer VSX-90, and Sony XBR70X850B. I eventually turned off ARC for audio. I still use HMDI-CEC, so the TV controls the AVR power and volume settings, but the Pioneer is using the audio directly from the HR54 input, not from ARC.

For the several months that it worked, ARC was ideal, b/c I could get the audio from the smart TV when I watched something on it from Amazon Prime, etc without the need to change inputs on the AVR (a trivial thing for the geeks in the house.. but priceless for the wife and kids).

I might run the HDMI directly from the DVR to the TV, and then optical audio back to the AVR.. but then I'll lose the OSD for the AVR menus :( (don't really want to fish a 2nd HDMI cable up and back)

For the several months that it worked, ARC was ideal, b/c I could get the audio from the smart TV when I watched something on it from Amazon Prime, etc without the need to change inputs on the AVR (a trivial thing for the geeks in the house.. but priceless for the wife and kids).

I might run the HDMI directly from the DVR to the TV, and then optical audio back to the AVR.. but then I'll lose the OSD for the AVR menus :( (don't really want to fish a 2nd HDMI cable up and back)

I have an optical cable running from the output on my TV to the AVR. The AVR is smart enough to switch to that input while I watched or listened to content on Smartv apps, and then switch back to the HR54 when I was done. I did not program it at all to do this: it just knew how. Might be worth a try if you have an optical cable lying around. I no longer use this functionality because I got a Roku Premier+ for the better selection of apps, but that is how I got around ARC-related issues, yet still retained audio from Smartv apps. So to summarize:

HDMI-CEC on
ARC off
HR54 -> AVR (via HDMI) -> TV (via HDMI) -> AVR (via optical)

Best of luck!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)