HS 17 recalled?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tspangle

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
I had an AT&T/DirecTV sales rep approach me at my house last week and offered me an excellent price on a TV/internet combo. After spending the past few days mulling it over and discussing it with you fine folks here: Yet another "Should I switch?" thread

I have decided to take the plunge. The guy gave me his number, so I called him today to get a price and make sure if the HS 17 was available for me. Basically, I want the HS 17 because I want the extra tuners and hard drive space, and because it's the latest-greatest, and as such should be supported the longest. Well, the rep had never heard of the "Genie 2" or the "HS 17", so he told me he'd have to check with his boss and he'd call me back. When he did, he told me that the HS 17 had been recalled because of "a bunch of bugs" and wouldn't be available for a year or so, and then only to existing DirecTV customers. I haven't seen a word about this here or anywhere else on the internet.

This guy's full of crap, isn't he? My suspicion is that it's not available in my area yet, but he didn't want to lose the sale, so he (and/or his boss) came up with some line of BS about a recall to get me to move now rather than wait for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: montg33
It wasn’t necessarily recalled but the availability for new installs was pushed to November I believe. It is currently only available for current customers as a movers or upgrade.

Here is the last I have heard about it.

After successful controlled introductions in California and Georgia, the Genie 2, also known as the HS-17, will be launching nationally on 8/4.

The Genie 2 is the next generation of Genie server for the DIRECTV video platform. The HS17 is a headless server, meaning that there is no direct output to a TV from the server itself. Instead, the HS17 provides video service to its Genie clients and DIRECTV Ready/4K Ready clients. Some items of interest on the Genie 2 include:

• Genie 2 mobile app (pushed to devices).
  • Integrated Gen2 Wireless Video Bridge (WVB).
  • Occupies eleven tuners (plus one network tuner). Supports up to eight clients, with up to seven simultaneous streaming/recording slots available. This includes up to two 4K streams/recordings, and up to 5 of which can be MoCA 1.1 clients (C51 and earlier models).
  • Compatible with all Genie clients and WVB models.
  • Built-in SWiM LNB Power (as with the HR54 and H44 Genie models).
  • EPS17 power supply.
  • Two TBs of storage.
  • Pre-installed SIM card (replaces traditional access card in DIRECTV receivers); it’s a good idea to check whether the card is fully inserted before powering up the HS17.
  • No remote control connection. All RC7x model remotes can be programmed to HS17-connected clients.
  • A digital SWiM (DSWiM) LNB or module is required to operate the HS17. These requirements will be indicated and enforced on the work order via FSTP for New Installs and Upgrades as usual, with like-for-like LNB swaps being enforced on Service calls.

I was part of the early HS17 test group and it hasn't been recalled yet and haven't heard of any.

One other thing, I don't know if it's HS17 specific or if the HR44/HR54 will also have it, is much better picture quality with the mobile DVR function (at least on my IOS devices), for both downloaded and live content streamed directly from the HS17.

And the WVB2 in the HS17 has a max bandwidth rate of 1,300Mbps according to my WiFi explored on my iMac.

Reactions: IcEWoLF and cinsu
Thanks, Scott. I wonder if I'd have better luck contacting DirecTV through their website, rather than through a guy who approached me in my yard when I was washing my camper. :biggrin

I was part of the early HS17 test group and it hasn't been recalled yet and haven't heard of any.

One other thing, I don't know if it's HS17 specific or if the HR44/HR54 will also have it, is much better picture quality with the mobile DVR function (at least on my IOS devices), for both downloaded and live content streamed directly from the HS17.

And the WVB2 in the HS17 has a max bandwidth rate of 1,300Mbps according to my WiFi explored on my iMac.

In my experience the interaction and delay on clients that became the norm is a MASSIVE improvement on the HS17 compared to 44 and 54.

I haven't heard anything on a recall as well. The only issue I have had is all of my screens were grey after a sw download overnight that required a reboot of the genie. I haven't had any slow response of clients at all.

I haven't heard anything on a recall as well. The only issue I have had is all of my screens were grey after a sw download overnight that required a reboot of the genie. I haven't had any slow response of clients at all.

Did 2 installs of them today and had that same issue after the initial software download. I expect something in the latest software download is causing that.

No recall but it appears it is limited to upgrades and moves right now from DEALERS. However if you call directv they will sell you one

In my experience the interaction and delay on clients that became the norm is a MASSIVE improvement on the HS17 compared to 44 and 54.

Okay so you are saying the wireless clients perform a lot better when using an HS17 over an HR44 with wireless bridge?

Any issues pausing fast forwarding rewinding on wireless clients? Basically any delays...

Yes. The delays are noticeably less.

I might be inclined to give it a try, I'm not in a contract, I guess I can call retention and see if they can offer one to me...
But I have a feeling if I do upgrade that I might miss the HR44 :/

Spoke to several techs who have, they have not regretted it. Personally I already exceed the capacities of the 17 with the receivers I have.

I might be inclined to give it a try, I'm not in a contract, I guess I can call retention and see if they can offer one to me...
But I have a feeling if I do upgrade that I might miss the HR44 :/

I called Tuesday to ask about upgrades and pricing and made sure to note that I was willing to enter into a new contract. I'm not going anywhere, anyway.

They offered me a new Genie 2 and $55/month off my bill for the first year. Install is set for today. I have an HR44 and HR24 along with two wireless clients. The only thing I might miss is the HR24 as a backup DVR but with all the streaming and on demand options I'm not too worried about it.

Reactions: TermiNader
Just to update this, I called DirecTV's sales line today and asked about the Genie 2, and they told me it's not in their system yet, but that they could make a note in my account to upgrade me as soon as it is. I decided to take the plunge, though I did it through AT&T's website, because they showed the promotional rates lasting 24 months, vs. 12 on the DirecTV site. Not sure why there's a a difference, but my install is set for August 28.

Just to update this, I called DirecTV's sales line today and asked about the Genie 2, and they told me it's not in their system yet, but that they could make a note in my account to upgrade me as soon as it is. I decided to take the plunge, though I did it through AT&T's website, because they showed the promotional rates lasting 24 months, vs. 12 on the DirecTV site. Not sure why there's a a difference, but my install is set for August 28.

The 24 month price is if you have att cell service. If you don’t have a cell plan with them it’s only 12 months no matter where you order through. That’s how my grandparents got tricked.

That’s also what ultimately made me go with Dish as well. They’ve had both but problems with their bill since month one.

The 24 month price is if you have att cell service. If you don’t have a cell plan with them it’s only 12 months no matter where you order through. That’s how my grandparents got tricked.

That’s also what ultimately made me go with Dish as well. They’ve had both but problems with their bill since month one.
Could be. I did print out my order confirmation, which specifically says 24 months, though. One thing I've learned in dealing with these kinds of companies is to document EVERYTHING.

But I have to say, so far dealing with AT&T/DirecTV customer service is a freaking nightmare, and it hasn't even been 24 hours. First, when I wanted to order on the website, it kept locking up. I'd fill out a screen, hit "Continue", and it would just reload the screen. I finally gave up and called the phone number. The rep I talked to had very poor English language skills, and I was constantly having to correct her on spelling and the specifics of my order. This did not fill me with confidence, so I tried again on the web, this time with a different browser (Firefox vs. Chrome) and go it to work. Hooray! Except that it automatically scheduled my install for this Monday, when I'll be out of town. So I hit the button to reschedule, and it says that it can't do it at this time, and to either call or chat. Well, I much prefer chat, because there's less chance for misunderstanding, and because I can print it and have a record of what was said. After being referred to three different people and being on the chat for close to an hour, I finally got someone who could reschedule my appointments (one for DirecTV, one for internet). He did so, and I was fine. Then, this morning, I got an email saying that my internet install time had been moved, but not my DirecTV install. Naturally, in my chat, I repeatedly said that I needed both appointments changed. So, I go to log in to my account, and the website crashes, on either Firefox or Chrome. Very nice. So I guess I get to play the chat game again this morning.

Reactions: littlecloud319
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)