HS 17 recalled?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just to update this, I called DirecTV's sales line today and asked about the Genie 2, and they told me it's not in their system yet, but that they could make a note in my account to upgrade me as soon as it is. I decided to take the plunge, though I did it through AT&T's website, because they showed the promotional rates lasting 24 months, vs. 12 on the DirecTV site. Not sure why there's a a difference, but my install is set for August 28.

Don't tell me you fell for that?

That's the oldest trick in the book when you got a customer on the fence ready to pull the trigger but is waiting for the latest and greatest model.

I guarantee they will not upgrade you, or when the NEW GENIE comes out they will try to tell you there is no difference between the GENIE 2 and what you have now.

I have seen Dish tell people that a hopper 1 and hopper 2 are the same. A 622, 722 and 722k are the same.

Directv tell customers an HR34 is the same as an HR44 or HR54. Or even an HR24 being the same as an HR22 or HR23.

when it's time to upgrade they are going to say it's too early to upgrade for free and they will want to charge you. Make you sign a new 2 year agreement with a small fee, or do it free after 2 years.

I never believed them, I just decided I could live with the HR54.

But none of it matters now, I cancelled my order. After they told me that my install had changed to the 28th, I got an email saying it was the 21st. I got back on chat, and I won't bore you with the details of the 3+ hours I spent on chat and on the phone with these idiots trying to get them to change a bloody install date, or the fact that I got referred to 11 different people (not exaggerating) for this simple task, and that I had to go through the "What's your name, what's your account number" dance with Every Single One of them, I finally got fed up and cancelled.

As I told them several times, they make Comcast look good. I know all these companies have their issues, but I've never had this kind of trouble with Dish. So, for now I'm staying with them. Maybe I'll revisit down the road when the HS 17 is available and maybe some better deals are on offer. But after this experience, I'm not in a hurry.

I never believed them, I just decided I could live with the HR54.

But none of it matters now, I cancelled my order. After they told me that my install had changed to the 28th, I got an email saying it was the 21st. I got back on chat, and I won't bore you with the details of the 3+ hours I spent on chat and on the phone with these idiots trying to get them to change a bloody install date, or the fact that I got referred to 11 different people (not exaggerating) for this simple task, and that I had to go through the "What's your name, what's your account number" dance with Every Single One of them, I finally got fed up and cancelled.

As I told them several times, they make Comcast look good. I know all these companies have their issues, but I've never had this kind of trouble with Dish. So, for now I'm staying with them. Maybe I'll revisit down the road when the HS 17 is available and maybe some better deals are on offer. But after this experience, I'm not in a hurry.

IMO dish is far superior anyway. Better equipment and better PQ. D* is just now attempting to update the UI and still inferior equipment.

IMO dish is far superior anyway. Better equipment and better PQ. D* is just now attempting to update the UI and still inferior equipment.
I have not heard that that PQ is better on Dish, I'm frankly not too happy with it. But there's no doubt that the Hopper 3 is the best DVR on the market, IMO. I really struggled with whether or not to switch. At the end of the day I decided to make the change because of a substantial savings from bundling DirecTV with AT&T internet, and because I want Sunday Ticket. But after everything I went through, I'm happy to pay Dish more and stay with them.

Reactions: littlecloud319
Seems like even with the new HS17 technology favors Dish Hopper 3...Sad that AT&T is not challenging the hopper 3.
Also its sad that you don't get to use more than 5 tuners...which is literally no upgrade over an HR44...

Better equipment perhaps. Unless they have much superior encoding the pq can't be better. In fact, it has to be worse.

Seems like even with the new HS17 technology favors Dish Hopper 3...Sad that AT&T is not challenging the hopper 3.
Also its sad that you don't get to use more than 5 tuners...which is literally no upgrade over an HR44...
Ya know, everything goes in cycles ....
Awhile back all the DISH guys were complaining about something they didn't like that they should have, now DISH is ahead, till D* comes out with something the DISH guys want, then Dish comes out with something and D* people wonder ...

It just depends on how you value what they come out with next.

Ya know, everything goes in cycles ....
Awhile back all the DISH guys were complaining about something they didn't like that they should have, now DISH is ahead, till D* comes out with something the DISH guys want, then Dish comes out with something and D* people wonder ...

It just depends on how you value what they come out with next.

Its been many years since DirecTV lead the market when it comes down to hardware. A very long time. Hopper and Hopper 2 and now Hopper 3 have been always ahead of DirecTV, so in the last 5-6 years DirecTV has not surpassed Dish when it comes down to good stable hardware.

Its been many years since DirecTV lead the market when it comes down to hardware. A very long time. Hopper and Hopper 2 and now Hopper 3 have been always ahead of DirecTV, so in the last 5-6 years DirecTV has not surpassed Dish when it comes down to good stable hardware.
Not in hardware .... your right.
Hardware is ONE part of the over all company.

The best hardware in the world with inferior programming is not going to do me any good. For someone that doesn't care about sports, Dish is a viable option, but for a sports fan, there's just no comparing the two services.

The best hardware in the world with inferior programming is not going to do me any good. For someone that doesn't care about sports, Dish is a viable option, but for a sports fan, there's just no comparing the two services.
Especially if you are a Yankees fan, or any other NY team.

Ironically, I don't care about sports, and I find the Select package on D* to be a better fit for me than the AT120 on Dish, which has sports channels. I wish Dish had a equivalent package without sports which had all of the channels I otherwise watch as I will be switching to Dish soon at my new house with no D* LOS.

I will take Picture Quality and Programming over Equipment (as long as the equipment works as expected, Do I get my HD, Does my DVR Record) EVERYDAY of the week.

Equipment would probably be next.

Reactions: DukeBlue
I will take Picture Quality and Programming over Equipment (as long as the equipment works as expected, Do I get my HD, Does my DVR Record) EVERYDAY of the week.

Equipment would probably be next.
Same here, in 1999 when I was looking at Dish and DirecTV to get my first satellite system those were my main buying points, and still are. I went to circuit city and best buy to check out both and still remember the difference in SD PQ DirecTV was and is better, it wasn’t even close. Then when I was looking at the channel line up and got to the sports and NFL Sunday ticket it was all over, ring me up please. My Sister has Dish at her house and while the equipment is nice the PQ has not improved enough over the years to justify giving up DirecTV for it.

Same here, in 1999 when I was looking at Dish and DirecTV to get my first satellite system those were my main buying points, and still are. I went to circuit city and best buy to check out both and still remember the difference in SD PQ DirecTV was and is better, it wasn’t even close. Then when I was looking at the channel line up and got to the sports and NFL Sunday ticket it was all over, ring me up please. My Sister has Dish at her house and while the equipment is nice the PQ has not improved enough over the years to justify giving up DirecTV for it.
While I would certainly agree that DIRECTV's HD PQ is better than DISH. Particularly for their 1080i feeds where DIRECTV delivers the full 1920 x 1080 spatial resolution vs. DISH who cheats off with 1440 x 1080 to reduce bandwidth demands.

You're about the first person I've heard who thinks DIRECTV's SD PQ is superior to DISH. Unless you meant back in '99 it was, because today where DIRECTV regularly crams as many 14 SD programs on a 24 MHz Ku band transponder, and at spatial resolutions as low as 480 x 480 and below.

I'd say DIRECTV's SD feeds today richly deserve the title of "Blurryvision."

Reactions: ncted
While I would certainly agree that DIRECTV's HD PQ is better than DISH. Particularly for their 1080i feeds where DIRECTV delivers the full 1920 x 1080 spatial resolution vs. DISH who cheats off with 1440 x 1080 to reduce bandwidth demands.

You're about the first person I've heard who thinks DIRECTV's SD PQ is superior to DISH. Unless you meant back in '99 it was, because today where DIRECTV regularly crams as many 14 SD programs on a 24 MHz Ku band transponder, and at spatial resolutions as low as 480 x 480 and below.

I'd say DIRECTV's SD feeds today richly deserve the title of "Blurryvision."
Yes I meant in 1999, I only watch SD now if it's the only way to see something.:)

I watch a few shows in SD yet, however, it is being upconverted by my TV .... keeping the picture in 4x3 helps (I would never stretch it).
It is watchable between the TV and the channel that is actually in HD.

Could the HS-17 not go over well and maybe get a lot of customers not ordering one? Then DTV decides to do a 16 tuner server that outputs to 4k over HDMI. It would also have 802.11ac, quad core processor, and 4 gigs of ram. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.