HS17-100 (For those wondering)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Based on the information being posted.. The Install Guide specifically calling out installing in a customer home.. Which appears to shut down part of the commercial aspects of this and it is in employee beta it looks like

Again it's not... even on their leak it clearly says PRE-BETA. If it was in beta I would know!

Considering we have install documentation and confirmed installs going into employees homes... I would say otherwise

Your wrong. It's going to select individuals. It's not an open beta. Your not going to roll out a pre-beta product to select individuals for testing and not have some sort of SOP on how to install it.

Reactions: mdram
The install sheet on the HS17 was just posted at the other site.

I saw that. Also, there is no point in going over here and starting stuff and calling people liars in other threads. Maybe ATT originally attended for it to be for consumers but pulled the plug on that application and changed their minds and made it commercial only. Only the execs at ATT knows what's going on. Things change daily over at ATT, and I do know one thing, ATT can easily go back and look and see who installed it and figure out who leaked the info. That person should be worried about keeping his/her job as that is a huge violation of company policy to leak documentation like that considering that he/she wanted to take photo's of another employee install for a scoop. Whatever ATT's plans are they will release it in due time. They obviously have an application in mind. What it ends up being, we will find out in time, if it evolves outside of testing.

Reactions: Troch77
I saw that. Also, there is no point in going over here and starting stuff and calling people liars in other threads. Maybe ATT originally attended for it to be for consumers but pulled the plug on that application and changed their minds and made it commercial only. Only the execs at ATT knows what's going on. Things change daily over at ATT, and I do know one thing, ATT can easily go back and look and see who installed it and figure out who leaked the info. That person should be worried about keeping his/her job as that is a huge violation of company policy to leak documentation like that considering that he/she wanted to take photo's of another employee install for a scoop. Whatever ATT's plans are they will release it in due time. They obviously have an application in mind. What it ends up being, we will find out in time, if it evolves outside of testing.
The member that posted that install sheet said he is installing the HS17 for DTV employees.

Well, I took a look at the two sheets the pre-beta installer posted and both sure indicate home use. It speaks of customer router, and in one place says "customer's home".

I think that is great, it is a sign that a standalone Genie Server is closer than anyone thought, and we could see it sometime late 2017 / early 2018 if the testing goes well.

I may be the exception, but I think the hardware looks pretty cool and would be happy to have something like, even if having to come up with alternate placement.
Without running the primary TV the placement opportunities are endless, and while it speaks to being near the router the broadband DECA is still an option enabling placement nearest wireless clients or in a central wired area like a basement. Gives a ton of placement flexibility.

Just because it may be in internal beta testing does NOT mean its confirmed as the next great recvr. for D*.

The general public knows NOTHING about this ... those that dabble on sites like this find info that may or may not be true happenings.

I don't doubt that they are in beta tests, however by the time it makes it to non beta status it could have a whole new name and number, or be dropped for something else.

Remember, beta is just that, basically its a test for some individuals to play with and the company to determine if its worth producing.

Reactions: goaliebob99
Well, I took a look at the two sheets the pre-beta installer posted and both sure indicate home use. It speaks of customer router, and in one place says "customer's home".

I think that is great, it is a sign that a standalone Genie Server is closer than anyone thought, and we could see it sometime late 2017 / early 2018 if the testing goes well.

I may be the exception, but I think the hardware looks pretty cool and would be happy to have something like, even if having to come up with alternate placement.
Without running the primary TV the placement opportunities are endless, and while it speaks to being near the router the broadband DECA is still an option enabling placement nearest wireless clients or in a central wired area like a basement. Gives a ton of placement flexibility.

What I do see of this thing, it's a box you put in a closet, as a server, and feed everything else. :IE clients. Considering from what's being said about it being 4 feet away from the consumers internet connection/router, Imagine if you could run all of your clients wirelessly off of this thing. It certainly looks like that may be a possibility. One thing that would probably make a lot of people happy is if that's the case then DirecTV/ATT would most likely not charge you a fee for this as it's not a true client, but more of a content server that the clients connect to. ATT can feed it all they content they want to. In the case where someone has a single 4K TV, most likely they would only get charged for the 4K client, and the server would just be included in. I becha we will hear more on this between now and August. I could actually see this being implemented well in my home. I would rather run a server like this in a closet versus having an HR54 in my mother’s room. She always complains about having a big clunky box with the am21, when I would rather have a client in her room. I really have nowhere else to place the HR54 at the moment.

is this more of an IDEA test? ATT still not 100% on there mixed sat + iptv plans? Is thinking about doing master box head less or do an hopper 3 killer? OTA tuners with scanning?
waiting for ATSC 3.0?
I think this is why AM21 support has went by the wayside aside from the database part. No real reason to support OTA when the standard is changing in a few years. Implement it then when the new tuners come out.

So what happens with those that have recvrs at other locations as well ...
I have service at my home as well as a HR24 I use in the rv, others have ones at home as well as at the Cottage (ones D* knows about and are fine with ) once this "Server" takes over ?
Is there any word about existing equipment working with this new system ? What happens when the HR24s need replaced and eventually are not being used ?
Any word on these scenarios ?

So what happens with those that have recvrs at other locations as well ...
I have service at my home as well as a HR24 I use in the rv, others have ones at home as well as at the Cottage (ones D* knows about and are fine with ) once this "Server" takes over ?
Is there any word about existing equipment working with this new system ? What happens when the HR24s need replaced and eventually are not being used ?
Any word on these scenarios ?

Nothing other than you still get charged for their fees. It's like how it is now where you can share playlists between your HR54 and HR24, ect. The server only serves clients like how the genie does currently and doesn’t take over anything. Think of it as a much better version of the genie that doesn’t connect to a tv. The only limitation would be the amount of tuners an LNB can provide. So hypothetically, if your reverse band LNB can do 22 tuners. Lets say the HS17 is hypothetically 16 tuners that leaves six spare tuners on the lnb. So a system with an HS17 plus an HR24 would use a total of 18 tuners on the LNB with 4 left over for expansion. I don’t see any reason why existing equipment would be any limitation as it all uses the same hardware. I would assume that you can only have one HS17 and no genies like how it is currently. If I was a poker player, this is where I would be hedging my bets. Remember this is all speculation anyhow until ATT announces anything.

is this more of an IDEA test? ATT still not 100% on there mixed sat + iptv plans? Is thinking about doing master box head less or do an hopper 3 killer? OTA tuners with scanning?
waiting for ATSC 3.0?
I have no idea, just pointing out that the HMC30/HR34 had a very long testing period and name change before making it to the public.

The install document said it should be placed not more than 4 feet from a customers router. Current routers have a longer range than that and the HS17 comes with 802.11ac. I don't see how they could place it a closet if the router is in another room at the other end of the house or in a basement?

The install document said it should be placed not more than 4 feet from a customers router. Current routers have a longer range than that and the HS17 comes with 802.11ac. I don't see how they could place it a closet if the router is in another room at the other end of the house or in a basement?
From what I read, the paperwork said the HS17 should be placed near the router/gateway. It was the poster who mentioned 4 feet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)