HS17-100 (For those wondering)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ok I got some information on it.

There will be two models the DIRECTV HS17-100 and the DIRECTV HS17-500. Starting in April there will be a beta test using 200 DIRECTV Employees. (Happening in LA and Denver)

This "headless" Genie is planned to be released to the Public in August of 2017. However it appears they will have two test markets (CA & GA) in April where existing customers may be able to swap for this new Genie.

As we figured the HS17 will not connect to your TV and will require a client. It does have a wireless video bridge and transcoding built in. The HS17 will support 4K VOD and Linear 4K Programming.

Thanks for the information, Scott.

I wonder what pricing will be?

While I'm glad/hopeful it will have more tuners, I'm not real thrilled with having a head end running everything. Will it work with a 4k RVU TV, or will those require a client as well?
If the price isn't different, and the problems with the clients are solved (slow screen changes, audio drop-out) I'll change over. Already have 1 4k TV, and will be getting another one later on this year.

Ok I got some information on it.

There will be two models the DIRECTV HS17-100 and the DIRECTV HS17-500. Starting in April there will be a beta test using 200 DIRECTV Employees. (Happening in LA and Denver)

This "headless" Genie is planned to be released to the Public in August of 2017. However it appears they will have two test markets (CA & GA) in April where existing customers may be able to swap for this new Genie.

As we figured the HS17 will not connect to your TV and will require a client. It does have a wireless video bridge and transcoding built in. The HS17 will support 4K VOD and Linear 4K Programming.

2 big questions. will hey allow an hr24 with it? and how many timers will it support?

I don't know the answers, but if I had to guess the answer would be NO on the HR24 just because of the tuner setup, and second I hear it is using almost the same software as the HR series, so it would not surprise me to see that time support would not be increased.

that could be a problem for some then
if people have a genie and several hr's
timers possibly in use would be 100+50 for each hr
with a couple of kids, its easy to see all in use

that could be a problem for some then
if people have a genie and several hr's
timers possibly in use would be 100+50 for each hr
with a couple of kids, its easy to see all in use
Our family of 4 has 35 timers.
And thats including PTA, and timers that might not even be broadcast anymore.

I dont care how much it costs.. I am ordering it and replacing a H25 and a HR24 with minis when it comes out!

I dont care how much it costs.. I am ordering it and replacing a H25 and a HR24 with minis when it comes out!
The one bad thing with going all server/client if the server goes down you are screwed until they send you a new one. Also don't clients lose their connection to the server sometimes?

Last edited:
The one bad thing with going all server/client if the server goes down you are screwed until they send you a new one. Also don't clients loose their connection to the server sometimes?
I have never had a mini have a connection issue and is the server goes down so be it i cant wait to dump that boat anchor of a HR24

I just received the following which backs up what I was told last night.

dtv.png

Thanks for making SatelliteGuys your real DIRECTV information source. :)

Reactions: Troch77 and mdram
For everyone who keeps talking about keeping HR boxes on the same setup as this new HS17...probably need to get over it. The number of people who want to keep those types of setups are small. Just like Dish you can't have non-Hopper receivers on the same account as a Hopper. 99% of people are just going to get a Genie and clients. Trying to fit your 0.001% use case to this just isn't going to work, and AT&T doesn't really care.

Reactions: Troch77
For everyone who keeps talking about keeping HR boxes on the same setup as this new HS17...probably need to get over it. The number of people who want to keep those types of setups are small. Just like Dish you can't have non-Hopper receivers on the same account as a Hopper. 99% of people are just going to get a Genie and clients. Trying to fit your 0.001% use case to this just isn't going to work, and AT&T doesn't really care.

with enough tuners it may work for more people
5 tuners with up to 3 minis using them didnt work
just like 3 in the hopper was a no go for many
its all about available tuners for recording

Like I said earlier the only one bad thing about fully going to the Server/Client model is if the Server goes down you are screwed until you get a new one delivered. Unless they would let you buy another as a backup but not have two HS17's installed.

Like I said earlier the only one bad thing about fully going to the Server/Client model is if the Server goes down you are screwed until you get a new one delivered. Unless they would let you buy another as a backup but not have two HS17's installed.

Yeah, there are a lot of single points of failure. They're TV boxes, not life or death computer servers. redundancy isn't a thing they're going to plan around

Yeah, there are a lot of single points of failure. They're TV boxes, not life or death computer servers. redundancy isn't a thing they're going to plan around
I've also never waited more than 48 hours for a service call from cable or satellite providers since 2007.
Sometimes even same day.

If I have had a box replaced I've had it show up the next day or second day usually (not counting weekends). I can always fall back to OTA or use the DIRECTV app on my IOS stuff and my HDMI adapter to watch on TV until a replacement shows up.

So basically, if I have 5 TV's, 1 HR54 & 4 H25..... I would replace them with the HS17, which would plug into my router, and a mini-client at each TV.
I also have 2 4k TV's, which sounds like you'd need a mini-client instead of using the RVU function? I could handle that, especially with more tuners available. We normally have, at most, 3 TV's running at one time.

As soon as this is available, I'm getting it. It will solve all the programs being recorded problem we have at the moment. Just need pricing. :)

If I have had a box replaced I've had it show up the next day or second day usually (not counting weekends). I can always fall back to OTA or use the DIRECTV app on my IOS stuff and my HDMI adapter to watch on TV until a replacement shows up.

the directv app does not support airplay. the adapter may or may not work. its hit and miss.
many people on the directv forums asking why it doesnt work

the directv app does not support airplay. the adapter may or may not work. its hit and miss.
many people on the directv forums asking why it doesnt work
That's why I said the HDMI adapter, never had a problem with using that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)