HS17-100 (For those wondering)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Are you saying have a headless server with the WIFI Modem and Router built into it but it doesn't do IPTV? That would be cool. However one disadvantage to that is that if it breaks you can't use the Internet either. Also what about doing DTV over IPTV but just in the Fiber to the home areas?
Where does the document posted say that this box contains a router?

It does say that it has a WVB built in which would allow the C41W to connect without the need of an external WVB, other then that I don't see where it says there's a WiFi modem built in? If the internal WVB operates like the current external one does customers won't be connecting to it for anything.

Based on DIRECTV's past where they want to isolate their system from the customer to reduce trouble shooting expenses I just see this as another different set top box. Yea that has no set top's directly connecting to it, just a server to stream to RVU based clients.

Last edited:
I've seen some bars that use HD-DVR. Hockeytown in Detroit for example replays the Wings and Tigers games throughout the day and I've seen them use the remote to view list and restart after they finished. There are many that rely on live TV almost exclusively.

What they're doing is very much illegal. A public viewing account is only permitted to have a DVR if it is in a private location (i.e. an office not accessible to the public)

Directv won't activate a Genie on a public viewing account, so any bars you see with clients mean that they are violating copyright law and the owner brought a Genie + clients from home. When Directv tracks down these people they'll typically sue for six figures.

Where does the document posted say that this box contains a router?

It does say that it has a WVB built in which would allow the C41W to connect without the need of an external WVB, other then that I don't see where it says there's a WiFi modem built in? If the internal WVB operates like the current external one does customers won't be connecting to it for anything.

Based on DIRECTV's past where they want to isolate their system from the customer to reduce trouble shooting expenses I just see this as another different set top box. Yea that has no set top's directly connecting to it, just a server to stream to RVU based clients.
I thought that is what you were suggestion they do with a future model. I actually now see since they are getting rid of IPTV that it wouldn't make any sense combing them both. Then the only reason to do that would be if your modem was in another room and the headless server was in another part of the home and it couldn't get a good WIFI signal. Also if you combined them you would need a coax outlet next to the phone outlet. Also if one broke you couldn't use the other.

I have been PM'ing the guy that posted the pic of the HS17 and he said he is installing them now. He says if the customers allows it he will post a pic of his next install of the HS17. He also told me to wait on the

Well, ultimately if this ends up being the next-gen product for consumers that is a good thing. For once, it would be nice if the info Scott got was wrong ;)

What they're doing is very much illegal. A public viewing account is only permitted to have a DVR if it is in a private location (i.e. an office not accessible to the public)

Directv won't activate a Genie on a public viewing account, so any bars you see with clients mean that they are violating copyright law and the owner brought a Genie + clients from home. When Directv tracks down these people they'll typically sue for six figures.
Probably not genies, I've seen many places with D*, never really asked if they are DVRs or not .... more than likely they are H/HR24s
I believe there is nothing wrong with showing a game thats already been played, its not like they can bet on it or anything like that.

FS Detroit shows the game over after the Live game regardless, DVR or not ... theres nothing wrong with that.

This pub I like to go to sometimes I have see it with Genie Mini's. Would that mean they would have an HR44 or HR 34 installed?

that is 100% no-no. D* doesnt allow genie in commercial locations. so far as i know that included H44.

This box is almost 100% what they said they would be releasing before AT&T closed the deal with DirecTV. They may not be "for residential" right now, but add an internet gateway to this and it is a culmination of what AT&T has dreamed of since before they bought DirecTV. This is just stage one

The biggest thing I don't get is why it doesn't have *optional* TV out. This means on a one-TV install, you have to have two boxes.

I expect the consumer version of this to be released in September.... hopefully sooner.

I suspect any employees that give dates on new recvrs are just a guess ....
The guys I talk to that do D* don't ever know for a fact anything new coming till the bosses tell them and then it's on paper.

I suspect any employees that give dates on new recvrs are just a guess ....
The guys I talk to that do D* don't ever know for a fact anything new coming till the bosses tell them and then it's on paper.

This is correct. Anyone who gives dates are full of you know what. The HS17 isn't even in employee beta yet. It's in a very early beta stage with a select group of very lucky individuals as it should be. Anything beyond that is speculation.

Based on the information being posted.. The Install Guide specifically calling out installing in a customer home.. Which appears to shut down part of the commercial aspects of this and it is in employee beta it looks like

Ok... The source seems to dispute otherwise There seems to be alot of cross information of who knows what and who is revealing what compared to physical information being released

Ok... The source seems to dispute otherwise There seems to be alot of cross information of who knows what and who is revealing what compared to physical information being released

there is NO information be officially released.
its all speculation and hearsay atm

Reactions: goaliebob99
there is NO information be officially released.
its all speculation and hearsay atm
Considering we have install documentation and confirmed installs going into employees homes... I would say otherwise

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts