HTC ThunderBolt Gingerbread Update coming June 30th

isaacmorseMI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 5, 2009
Southwest Michigan
It's taken Verizon Wireless a painfully long time to get here, but it looks like the HTC Thunderbolt -- the carrier's once flagship 4G LTE device -- might finally be getting the much talked about, but not-quite-officially delivered Skype with Video. We first brought you news of a leaked build back in April, but if this rumored June 30th release pans out, you'll get to experience mobile video chat with your honeybun first-hand, as well as some Android 2.3.4 loving. As is the case with most carrier updates, Big Red appears to be loading this one up with some goodies -- not just bloatware. Sure, the requisite VZW apps are on-board, but how's about some Gtalk Video, a pre-loaded Amazon Appstore, and a handy fix for those irritating reboots? Keep in mind, we're still firmly planted in rumor territory, but it does seem like Thunderbolt owners are getting closer to the initial dream.

VZW leak teases HTC Thunderbolt update: Skype Video, Android 2.3.4 coming June 30th? -- Engadget

It's about time. They need a new firmware update to fix this battery problem and also the constant rebooting.

I would say that my T-Bolt doesn't reboot or lock up. It just works! It's so fast that I don't think about it much these days. Only time is when Verizon has trouble with the LTE network and it goes down which I recall has happened 3 times since I owned it.

Of course, I still back my T-Bolt up with an automatic backup schedule that reboots the phone twice in the process every morning at 4AM. Maybe that's why it never has issues each day.

I would say that my T-Bolt doesn't reboot or lock up. It just works! It's so fast that I don't think about it much these days. Only time is when Verizon has trouble with the LTE network and it goes down which I recall has happened 3 times since I owned it.

Of course, I still back my T-Bolt up with an automatic backup schedule that reboots the phone twice in the process every morning at 4AM. Maybe that's why it never has issues each day.

Is yours rooted? What is the name of your backup app?

Ramy said:
Is yours rooted? What is the name of your backup app?

No hackware, strictly stock system and apps.

The backup is Sprite. I needed it once when the battery and internal went completely dead as I failed to charge for 3 days. I love how I can save the last 5 or so backups and find one in the past that works. The restore file is self executable. Just reboot, navigate to it on the SD card and launch. Been using sprite backup since first discovered it on win mob phone.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys app

So, It's June 30th Who has tried the new OS? Personally, I haven't even looked at what it will do. Or, more importantly, what it will break that works fine now.

It was a hoax. It wasn't really supposed to be out today.

Indeed, no update as of now for my Thunderbolt. I did have along conversation with two Verizon reps on the phone yesterday. They both did say that the "update" was due by the end of June, but they didn't give specifics as to what the update included.

After explaining to the level 2 tech (who was actually very nice) that I can't deal with this anymore, her and her supervisor finally gave in and agreed to allow me to buy a new phone at the contracted price. While I don't think that is 100% fair, it was a descent deal because I can sell the Thunderbolt and re-coupe the costs.

Now comes the very strange part. As I was discussing the new phone purchase, she put me on hold for a sec and came back said that indeed the "update" was rolling out. Another tech in the call center had just received it. I called her out on it and said, "is this because you don't want to sell me a different phone and you are just blowing hot air my way?" She laughed and said "no" that the offer phone a new phone was still there if I wanted it. I told the rep at this point I would wait it out if what she was telling me was true. She gave me her email address to contact her if I decided to replace the phone.

At this point, I still haven't seen anyone post anywhere that they've received the update. I will take it for what it's worth and wait a few more days for Verizon to push this out. I go on vacation tomorrow and will be in a full 4G area, so we will see what happens.......:rolleyes:

Indeed, no update as of now for my Thunderbolt. I did have along conversation with two Verizon reps on the phone yesterday. They both did say that the "update" was due by the end of June, but they didn't give specifics as to what the update included.

After explaining to the level 2 tech (who was actually very nice) that I can't deal with this anymore, her and her supervisor finally gave in and agreed to allow me to buy a new phone at the contracted price. While I don't think that is 100% fair, it was a descent deal because I can sell the Thunderbolt and re-coupe the costs.

Now comes the very strange part. As I was discussing the new phone purchase, she put me on hold for a sec and came back said that indeed the "update" was rolling out. Another tech in the call center had just received it. I called her out on it and said, "is this because you don't want to sell me a different phone and you are just blowing hot air my way?" She laughed and said "no" that the offer phone a new phone was still there if I wanted it. I told the rep at this point I would wait it out if what she was telling me was true. She gave me her email address to contact her if I decided to replace the phone.

At this point, I still haven't seen anyone post anywhere that they've received the update. I will take it for what it's worth and wait a few more days for Verizon to push this out. I go on vacation tomorrow and will be in a full 4G area, so we will see what happens.......:rolleyes:

according to someone in the know....a gingerbread update hasnt even been submitted to verizon for testing yet...and it usually takes 2-3 weeks to approve once testing starts....the only update we should expect is a mr2 update (which I have applied manually as I could not take the rebooting)...and even then I dont know because there is a mr2.5 radio that was released which tells me they werent happy with the mr2 update and are still tinkering. In other words...it could be a while

I had heard on another forum that they can't turn off our free Hotspot without pushing an update and the Free hotspot is scheduled to end on 7/6, so either we will get another extension or a patch by 7/6.

I get it today.....everything I have read says its a lot better then thunderbolt on battery, radio, smoothness, and camera.....cant hurt that it has a working 2.3.4 already out for it.

I get it today.....everything I have read says its a lot better then thunderbolt on battery, radio, smoothness, and camera.....cant hurt that it has a working 2.3.4 already out for it.

I just called Verizon tech support and they said HTC is coming out with a new firmware for the Thunderbolt in mid-July. Take it for what is worth. If they don't, then I am demanding a new phone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)