HTPC file server software

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jayn_j

Press On Regardless
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 29, 2003
Sheboygan, WI
It has been a few years since this was last active, so I thought I'd start fresh.

My son has finally shed the PC I originally bought to be a HTPC. He grabbed it out of the box before I got home from work and held on tight for 4 years. Now that he needs better gaming, I can finally have it :)

The PC has been upgraded over the years. Processor is older, I believe a core 2 duo. Graphics is a good card from about 3 years ago. Has 4 TB of HDD and 8 GB of RAM. Has a combo BR/HD-DVD drive. It is currently running windows 8.1

I would like to repurpose this as a media server. Not concerned with TV, although it does have a tuner card. I would just like to rip my BluRays and especially my HD-DVDs to make them more accessible around the house.

I believe I can use the various TIVOs and BluRay players as playback devices and just use this as a file server. What software do I need to make this happen? I guess at a bare minimum I need some sort of program to extract movies from the discs and store it as a common media file. The one I am familiar with in the past is AnyDVD. Is this still a good choice, or are there better ones available? What else will I need? Is there some sort of cataloging that works with the other playback devices?

I know next to nothing on this subject, so any help is appreciated.

A Blu-ray is about 30g and a regular DVD is about 9g. Takes a lot of drive space to store movies. I ripped my dvds with DVD Shrink and stored them at about 4.5g each. I have two Linksys NAS300 with 4TB each full of movies as a server. My Blu-rays are stilled played from the HTPC blu-ray drive. I do not wish to compress the files there.