Question for those using Roku and Plex for a HTPC

Blindowl1234

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
SouthWest Ohio
I'm curious for anyone using a Roku with Plex..does it seem slow accessing your movies/shows etc...my internet is 12/1 mbps usually, which shouldn't be an issue. 2tb hard drive using USB 3.0 with the ethernet cable to the Roku. The computer is a 3.6 Gateway with Win 8, but Plex or Roku seems like it takes 15-20 seconds to access a show from my external drive. No long cable runs as it all is within 3 feet of the Tv. The only thing I can think of is maybe a Roku 3 would be faster since I have the 2 XS. I've also got 800 movies and shows on the drive so that may slow it down too. Just seems like it should be faster to me.

I have zero issues and my Plex server is lightning fast, on Android, iOS or Roku. Of course, Im running Plex on a dedicated NAS, and I have a 25Mbps FiOS upload.

When using Plex on the Rokus locally, the videos (mostly MKVs) start almost instantly. Remotely, they take 2-3 seconds to buffer. I have never used a Roku 3, I only have XDs and an XS.

You could try copying some of your files to a SATA hard drive, just to test the speed, but I doubt it would make a difference.

Plex is pretty responsive for me with roku2 xd.Using a dual core ibm pc,and samsung 1tb internal hdd.

Thanks guys. I'm not sure why there is a delay but I'm going to keep messing with it and see if I stumble across what's slowing it down lol...just seems like the app is running slow

I would make sure there isn't any malware running on your pc as well.

I forgot to mention that I run Win7.

Thanks Teehar...I hate Win 8 no matter how it works lol...came with the desktop though. I'll run a scan and check for anything that shouldn't be there too.

Last month we had 6 Mbps DSL and PLEX worked like a charm as well as other internet services. We then "upgraded" to 10 Mbps DSL paying an additional $15 a month and now we experience delays and buffering. Doing a speed test shows that we have 10 Mbps service. I had the DSL service upgrade our DSL modem which helped a little, but still not as good as when we had the older DSL modem along with the 6 Mbps service. It just doesn't make sense.

Popcorn, I notice when I access a show/movie it's pretty fast the first go at it...if I back out and click on another movie it takes twice as long to load. Fine on the first show but slow accessing anything after that doesn't make sense.
My speedtest usually shows about 11-12 MBPs. Not sure why yours would've started buffering at faster speed though. Buffering is one issue I don't have thankfully.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)