Status
Not open for further replies.

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
My Mom chocheted this. Her sole reason for doing it was to honor the military (both veterans and active). Here are the stats:

Size: 24’ x 13’
Weight: About 43 pounds
Cost: About $210.49
Number of Stitches: About 726,005
1. Beginning chain 841 Done in the shell pattern
2. Each row has 279 shells, each shell has 8 stitches, there are 286 rows.
3. Single Crochet edging all the way around the flag, 2,826 stitches (638,352)
4. Stitches in each star x 50 stars…61,750
5. Loops and single crochet stitches all the way around the flag 12,236
(these made to attach flag to frame)
6. Stitches to attach stars to flag…approximately 10,000

Yarn Used. About 97 seven ounce skeins of Red Heart(Coats & Clark) yarn.
1. Yards…….35,308 (364 x 97)
2. Feet……..105,924 (35,308 x 3)
3. Miles……..20.07 (105,924 – 5280)
To get the number of miles of yarn in the flag I took the number of yards x 3 feet to a yard to get total feet…. then divided total feet by (5,280 feet in one mile). Each 7 ounce skein of yarn has 364 yards of yarn.

Time to Make the flag. (approximate 254 hours)
1. Body of flag….about 214 ½ hours…..Each row takes about 45 minutes
2. Each star takes about 30 minutes…..30 min. x 50 stars….25 hours
3. Miscellaneous…Original chain, plus time to sew stars to flag, plus time to crochet loops all the way around the flag, plus cutting and attaching thread, plus the single crochet edging all the way around the flag I estimate another 10 to 15 hours. The time used does not include time to travel back and forth to a facility large enough to spread out the flag to position and affix the stars temporairly….This took several hours a day for 3 days.

If I worked on the flag constantly, 8 hours a day it would take about 31 ¾ days or 6.35 forty hour work weeks.

Attachments

• Flag1.jpg
    Flag1.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 201
  • Flag2.jpg
    Flag2.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 179
That is amazing dedication to both the making of the flag and the honoring of our military, both veteran and active. God bless your Mom....

...And GOD bless America!

I am at 19 years in the Air Force and have never seen anything that cool and patriotic hand made by a person. Love it. If she can do that I bet she makes some mean cookies and brownies. Does your mom adopt:):)

Yep, she's constantly baking.

She started an organization (non-profit) called "Love Stitchers" in which she and a growing number of members crochet lap afghans for nursing home residents. They make special ones for the veterans in these nursing homes. She's expanding the scope of the small organization every day. By the way, she couldn't do it without the help of my father who does a huge amount of "scut work" to keep everything going. They are both retired, but continue to work very hard. I'm very proud of my parents and I thank each of you for your kind words.

A local station, KLTV (East Texas), just aired the flag display and interview with my parents. Pretty cool!

I sent my parents a link to this thread, so they've been able to see your comments. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts