Hughes HD to Sony LCD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Happy Camper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Central Texas
I just ordered a new Sony KDF-E50A10 50" LCD display (not out until next week) and I am thinking about moving my Hughes HR10-250 downstairs and hooking it to this new TV in the family room and moving my HD tuner (without DVR) back upstairs to my dedicated home theater TV.

Does anyone here have a Hughes box hooked up to a Sony LCD (or similar LCD) via HDMI? Could you tell much difference from the component connection? On my present Pioneer CRT, I could not tell much difference, but I have not hooked up a digital display like the new Sony. The set's native rate is 720p, so I can set the Hughes output to be the same.

Thanks.

My HR10-250 has been connected to several different TVs, including LCD HDTVs. I have yet to really notice any difference between the HDMI and component connections.

By the way, since you currently have an HR10-250 you should record HDNET's 10-minute test patterns (8:00-8:10am ET on Tuesday mornings). These video tests make it easy to compare different resolution settings or HDMI vs. component connections. They'll also help you optimize other video settings on your new HDTV.

Many thanks, Honorable Dog. I did not know about the test patterns, but I will check them out. I have been told by some that there does not seem to be much visible difference between connections with CRTs, but that digital displays are sometimes different and show improvement with HDMI or DVI. I sure could not tell any with my Pioneer, previously my only set with a DVI or HDMI input. I run it on component now and it's fine with me.

I'm going to try both connections, but my lack of a receiver with digital video switching will cause me to favor component unless I can really tell.

Status
Please reply by conversation.