Hughesnet dish mod

Status
Please reply by conversation.

joshrr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
I nabbed this used hughesnet dish from a co-worker. Been searching the forum here but cant find anything for modding it to accept a Invacom QPH-031 lnbf. Anyone know of a link or have a picture on mounting one of those LNBFs. Its going to be a fixed dish at AMC21. Im going to use it as-is but just would like to see how one would attach a normal lnbf to it. Thanks for any ideas.

Photo Jul 13, 8 06 21 PM.jpg

Also... for an offset dish what elevation would I use? TheList section on this website says 25.2 deg. Is that for an offset dish or prime focus? I have a c-band dish and am only used to those. The offset dishes are usually looking 22deg lower as they are reflecting offset right? So for 125w the reflector would be almost vertical. So on the little elevation dial on the bracket, I wonder if I would set that to 25.2 and it already compensates for the offset dish or would I still get out an inclinometer (spell) which I do have for my 6ft dish?

The elevation scale on the bracket should be calibrated for the actual look angle, with no need for compensation. If you need 25.2, set it at 25.2 to start, then fine tune it as needed for peak signal.

If you used an inclinometer, then yes, you would need to compensate for the offset angle of the dish, usually 22 or 22.5 degrees.

Found dish installation manual here: .98m Ka-Band Antenna Installation Guide, Model: AN8-098R Free pdf download

So that is answering most of my questions. Have to find a way to mount the lnbf yet... and have it be adjustable. Probably a method that mounts on a threaded stud so I can raise and lower it to find that focal height (looks like about 3 inches above the long flat holding bracket. LNBF has to remain parallel to that bracket from the pictures (I never saw it in an installed configuration so manual was key). I'll also have to be able to slide the lnbf back and forth to find that focal depth... Im thinking 1.5 inches in front of the beginning of the old mounting bracket. If anyone has experience would be nice to know their measurements.

Once you know where you want to mount the LNBF, the conduit hanger brackets can be used.
The upper one should be chosen to hold the 40mm neck of the LNBF.
The lower one can be pinched to raise the LNBF higher (use a larger model, if necessary).

To find out where to mount the LNBF, here's what I suggest:
- Pick a satellite due south of you with a strong transponder.
- Make sure your pole is plumb.
- Aim the dish (azimuth / east-west) at the bird.
- Dial in the documented elevation for that satellite.
- Move the LNBF around by hand, looking for the peak signal.
- Once you are close, build your bracket to put you in the ball park.
Your LNBF will be at the focal point of the dish.

edit:
Next time, if you have the original LNBF in place, here's how to put your LNBF at the exact same location.

Template trick to locate new LNB at the proper focus, when replacing it:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...ert-superdish-true-fta-use-2.html#post1540313

Anole thanks for the info!!!!! I saved it all and will try it My biggest worry is going to be focal depth. I'll have to look at the lnb holder tomorrow to see. Maybe I will mod your lnb holder and incorporate a slotted bar then screw the 2nd conduit holder to that slotted bar with 2 screws holding it to the bar (so the top holder wont spin) and will slide forward and back to find that sweet spot. After I find the sweet spot then maybe eliminate the sliding bar and create a more static holder... We'll see but great idea for the conduit holder. Thanks again!!!

This is the exact dish someone gave me a week or so ago and I even got the same mast as pictured. What I like about the mast support is that it looks to be adjustable and I like the way that one adjusts. It looks different than the other Hughesnet Dishes people gave me in the past. Is this the latest one that they are using?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts