HughesNet going back to 7k KU band??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ontarget

Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
milford, oh
HughesNet is currently rolling back their systems, starting in mid Feb they are going to have their installers start installing KU band 7000s systems. I have installed a few 7000 systems and well over a 1000 9000 systems. The biggest reason for installation purposes I like the 9k better is the fine tuner adjustments that take up the weight of the dish for pointing. I salvaged part of a fine tuner off a 2 watt commercial system I upgraded, but it does not fit on the current model 7000 AZ/EL mounts. Does anyone know where I can purchase one of the elevation brackets that I can use to aid in the pointing process? I can only find 2 online retailers that carry and they are both sold out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Nick

This one?
SLIDE53.GIF
//greg//

Perfect-10...

You don't really need one.. You can step the dish down to fine tune the elevation. Start off 1 degree higher, lock elevation on both sides and peak.. Then loosen the right elevation bolt and watch the signal get higher and lock it down. Next loosen the left bolt and watch your signal... Keep doing this until you peak it out. Obviously they have that tool for a reason, but this work fairly well also.

. Perfect-10...
Obviously they have that tool for a reason, but this work fairly well also.
No, it doesn't. Not for two-way systems anyway. Cheap signal strength meters (SSMs) like that P10 are ok for ROTV and 1-way satellite internet. But the HN7000S is a 2-way system. The "obvious reason" is that SSMs like that P10 thing can only do the 1/2 of the job, and the less important half at that (SQF in Hughes-speak). Matter of fact, it can't let you know if/when you're on the right satellite either. Competently installation of a HN7000S system requires a device that can also be used to optimize transmit isolation (ACP in Hughes-speak), and that can't be done with a P10 SSM. Another thing cheap SSMs like that can't do, is indicate if'/when you've found the correct satellite and transponder (as defined by the modem satellite parameters).

Alternatively, a wireless laptop linked to the modem interface - or a little piece of software called PCI OPI - can be used. Quite a few drawbacks though; HN7000S modem must be connected to an operational wireless router within laptop range, laptops are much larger and definitely more expensive than the little OPI, laptops pose a danger when working on ladders/rooftops, laptops don't like rain, laptop displays are VERY hard to read in bright sunlight.

I paid $80 (new) for my OPI, it weighs about 2 ounces, fits in my shirt pocket, doesn't mind rain or sun, and just bounces if/when it hits the ground. It pays to use the right tool for the job.

//greg//

Last edited:
Yes, Greg that is the one I am looking for. I have found a few websites that sell one that works with the DW series the one for the HN series metal dishes are sold out. The one in the picture looks like the one I am looking for. Would you mind posting the link to where you found that photo?

Thank you,

Nick

Where did you hear that we are going back to the 7000s?? Residential? Commercial ?

Perfect 10 said in several states they are switching back to the 7000s due to bandwidth issues on the 9000. Any fullfillment work will be on a KU system on a new transponder they are opening up in a few days. Any dealer direct sales will still be on KA 9000 systems. I believe the go live date is set for 2/14.

I think I may have one of those still in my toolbox... I'll check tomorrow when I get home from work and if so, I'll let you know.
I haven't used it for years, but I think I still have it

Hughes is fielding a new modem the 9200 series it is a KU modem. They have not said where they intend to use it but I believe that they have a few undergoing BETA test at this time

HughesNet is currently rolling back their systems, starting in mid Feb they are going to have their installers start installing KU band 7000s systems. I have installed a few 7000 systems and well over a 1000 9000 systems. The biggest reason for installation purposes I like the 9k better is the fine tuner adjustments that take up the weight of the dish for pointing. I salvaged part of a fine tuner off a 2 watt commercial system I upgraded, but it does not fit on the current model 7000 AZ/EL mounts. Does anyone know where I can purchase one of the elevation brackets that I can use to aid in the pointing process? I can only find 2 online retailers that carry and they are both sold out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Nick

you have a PM

I found mine, but it is missing the top bolt, but I used to just use a screwdriver, should be easy to find a replacement

Last edited:

Thank you Greg, I had most of those but there was one that I didnt and it looks like they have it in stock. I appreciate your help.

Thanks again,

Nick

HughesNet Rolling Back to HN7000S?

HughesNet is currently rolling back their systems, starting in mid Feb they are going to have their installers start installing KU band 7000s systems.
More interested in this statement. Were you sent an announcement from HughesNet Dealer Support? I did not get that memo. Why would they do this???

My understanding is that the newer 9200 is a dual-band modem, capable of working with either Ka or Ku radios. Wouldn't they be phasing out the 7000s in favor of this modem? I see them listed on Perfect 10's website, as well as 7000's and 9000's.

Can anyone corroborate/expand on this question?

Hughesnet plans on launching their improved service for 12 MB as well. Is the 9200 for that or is there going to be a whole different system? If a whole different system is required then why now release a 9200?

Hughesnet plans on launching their improved service for 12 MB as well. Is the 9200 for that or is there going to be a whole different system? If a whole different system is required then why now release a 9200?
The 9200 is described as a Ka/Ku modem, but it operates in the L-band. So the frequencies between the dish and the satellite are immaterial. What's important is that it's compatible with the gateway on the other end. 9200 modems are currently being installed for access via Spaceway3, which makes it a simple matter down the road to simply turn the dish to the new Jupiter1. Current Spaceway3 customers with HN9000 modems will probably have to simply change modems to take advantage of a Jupiter upgrade. Ku-band customers however, will almost certainly have to replace everything - if they want the Jupiter upgrade.

//greg//

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)