HughesNet Upload (BI Plans)

fieldmate

Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
NJ
Hi,
I am looking for information from someone who is currently using the Business level HughesNet service. I am looking into getting HughesNet solely for backup. I know that I could get cable as backup, but am looking for something "off the grid" in case lines go out for an extended period of time.

My main purpose for the connection would be to upload an audio stream at a constant bitrate of 128k. I inquired with Hughes and the sales rep stated that this would be fine, as long as you have a plan with a large enough upload speed. He also stated they do not FAP upload and I have nothing to worry about. I know that there is ping latency, but this shouldn't be an issue. Is there someone out there that can tell me how reliable the upload is on HughesNet or possibly help me test a few things with a 128k audio stream upload to see how it performs? This is the only thing holding me back from ordering the service since I don't know anyone to help me test.

Thanks!!

Chris

All but the most basic of HughesNet subscription plans will usually support a 128k upload around the clock. But if there are negative ramifications to the stream dropping below 128k for any reason - as extra insurance - I believe you should configure the stream to be buffered. You'll should also purchase a dual WAN router, capable of automatic switchover to satellite in the event of a terrestrial interruption. You didn't mention the destination of that stream, so the possibility is still open as to whether or not you have to configure similarly at both ends. This link may help: http://business.hughesnet.com/quote-request?link_type=smbquote&position=sidebar

//greg//

Thanks for the info, Greg! I will probably get a plan that does 256k upload to have some extra headroom. I already bought my Dual WAN router, just finishing up research on what avenue to go for the 2nd ISP! :) The destination of the stream is a Shoutcast server at a bandwidth provider I use, they are very reliable and most likely nothing has to be done on their side since my end initiates the connection and stream to the server.

Does Hughes have any promotions for new business customers? I am curious if there are any deals available for the initial installation charge.

From time to time you might catch a $100 dollar off from the installation and equipment prices, also they offer free activation for anything with the enterprise installation or commercial installation with anything above the bi400 plan.