Hughnet install in a local school....

bill93civic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 9, 2006
Kingman, AZ.
Hughesnet install in a local school....

does anyone know where i could find the requirements of what it takes to install into a local school. they are wanting a commercial account and 10 pcs networked. i have called hughes and they tell me to call my local distributor, he says we are certified for it (even tho all ive taken a test for is the 7000 modem) i know it takes a different dish and radio, but am i still certified for it? also, does anyone know about what they will require for doin an install into a government building, like a school. ive asked locally, but the schools in the city limits have dsl, so it was already set up thru the phone company. most of what we do is residential installs (both tv and internet) so this commercial stuff is new to us here at the store. im not even sure if we are licensed (business or contractors) for commercial work. think that about covers all the questions...

thanx in advance for any help.

bill

Last edited:
:) are you doing the install for profit? that would make a major deference. i don't think hn cares were or whom you sell or install. as long as your cert with them for basic installs. other than basic building codes. the placement of the dish should be totally out of reach in the center of the roof. you know kids! as far as wires although not necessary i would run conduit just to keep it safe. and i would go over board on grounding the dish wires and modem with a surge strip. typically a .98m dish with 2watt trans mounted on a non-penetration stand. but if your going for a massive network you may be up in the 1.5m-3m dish range with totally differant equipment. hope Tate can give more advise I'm going to get the phone number for my local bus dist and see what they can offer.

Its going to be a Commercial Job but not an Enterprise Job. It will have just a basic 7000 modem which is now the HN7000s, If you have not taken the test on this you need so @ http://elearning.hughesnet.com/Login/index.aspx

A commercial job is just like a residential job only in a commercial establishment or in a home office. A Enterprise job is one that requires the additional training for and will be business like Walmart, Cheveron, etc. The Dish will be a .98 with a 2 watt antenna. A credit card will still be required to make the order and most of the time in a situation like this someone in the administration office will put the account in their name and the establishment will reimburse them for the equipment. Since this is a school and assumed a government facility....you got me on how the account should be set up. After the equipment is installed they can receive a paper bill.

As for the insurance/license check with the establishment to see what they require. We put a system in at the Winchester plant were all the .22 bullets are made and they required us to put their name on our liability insurance and we charged them for it. We also had weird rules like we could not put a ladder against the building and we had to check every tool in and out. I am sure a school will not be that extreme.

As for all the computer hookups you will need a switch.
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...899770&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper
Don't use a hub.

Last edited:
check some of this stuff out.

The .98 dish will require a Vertical Shim Kit also.

Attachments

• P1010097.JPG
    P1010097.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 231
  • P1010098.JPG
    P1010098.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 212
  • P1010099.JPG
    P1010099.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 221
  • P1010100.JPG
    P1010100.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 220
  • P1010101.JPG
    P1010101.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 238
  • 98_Antenna_Guide_4096-629C.pdf
    201.2 KB · Views: 1,025
  • Vertical Shim Kit.pdf
    716.2 KB · Views: 250

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts