Hulu Live TV launches today

$14.99 for DVR and commercial skip is a lot. That is right up there with cable and satellite prices. At least you won't have the $7 per TV fee's. We paid $21 in "Mirroring" fees with Dish because we owned the joeys. I think I will stick with PS Vue $30 a month and no DVR fee is nice. I'm sure that will change later on.

I kept our subscription to DirecTV Now because of the free HBO. It has come a long way. It works perfect on my wife's Ipad Mini and my Galaxy S8. It just doesn't have a DVR. Plus $35 for 100 channels is nice. Plus the free Apple TV.

I am so glad there are all these choices. I'm sure the added DVR fee's will make some here all giddy and happy. The whole see....... everyone will pay fees. That may be the case and if Vue adds on fees and DirecTV Now adds fees. I'll either cancel TV all together or go back to Dish and the Hopper. I always loved the Hopper.

Even though Roku has about 50% of set top streaming device market share, they are going to continue to have a rough go because of the development resources involved. FireTV and Chromecast support are adaptations from the base Android code. AppleTV apps can be forked from the base iOS code. For your development resource dollars, you're able to cover a ton of ground with essentially 2 main tracks of base code that will encompass phones, tablets, and reasonable adaptation effort to include TV-attached devices for those ecosystems. When it comes to Roku, you're having to code a whole new application from the ground up that is only applicable to one specific set top box platform.

FireTV has the additional shenanigans with Amazon platform certification, but it's highly likely you're going to see FireTV support long before Roku support for any of these new offerings.

Even though Roku has about 50% of set top streaming device market share, they are going to continue to have a rough go because of the development resources involved. FireTV and Chromecast support are adaptations from the base Android code. AppleTV apps can be forked from the base iOS code. For your development resource dollars, you're able to cover a ton of ground with essentially 2 main tracks of base code that will encompass phones, tablets, and reasonable adaptation effort to include TV-attached devices for those ecosystems. When it comes to Roku, you're having to code a whole new application from the ground up that is only applicable to one specific set top box platform.

FireTV has the additional shenanigans with Amazon platform certification, but it's highly likely you're going to see FireTV support long before Roku support for any of these new offerings.

Even though all these things are true, I still think Roku has the best design and is the most user-friendly for both kids and adults. Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Well, my initial impression is, the money I could save with it versus Vue (keeping my tradition Hulu service), is not enough to make me switch.

Main reason is it's TOO integrated with the Hulu library. It's hard to tell what's live at first glance, and what's not.

Some may prefer that.

I do not. Or at least not the way it's done here. Tivo provides great streaming and live TV integration with their latest dvrs. No one else has come close to that yet imo.

I know it's new and I haven't used it much, but finding what I want to watch is more of a chore, mainly because like sling, there is no real guide.

Still, I am going to keep trying it out for a month.

Pq looked good. The colors of the app are eye pleasing.

And like I mentioned earlier the cost is quite reasonable if you already have Hulu now.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It's interesting that they make a big deal about sports network inclusion, because with 30fps feeds (like Sling) that's going to be a huge barrier to entry for a lot of sports fans.

It's interesting that they make a big deal about sports network inclusion, because with 30fps feeds (like Sling) that's going to be a huge barrier to entry for a lot of sports fans.

I watch baseball on Sling and it looks fine to me. Haven't watched any NFL or anything on it

I watch baseball on Sling and it looks fine to me. Haven't watched any NFL or anything on it
Baseball is probably a little more forgiving. Anything with panning (basketball, soccer, and especially hockey) looks particularly terrible because they're dropping frames without doing motion blur correction. For the same reason, any scrolling text looks equally terrible.

TVs that have motion processing (ie, TVs that advertise frame rates like 240Hz) can mask some of the problem by making intermediate frames that add back some motion blur, but even most of that processing will create a softer than broadcast image and leave artifacts if you're looking for them.

Looks like Vue is ahead of the game at this time.
With supposedly rumored features coming soon to Vue it's seems to be the model of internet tv at this time.
I'll never understand when new providers come on board, why do they try to reinvent the wheel?
No traditional guide. YouTube, Sling and Hulu yes I'm talking to you!
Don't tell me "our way will make things better and easier to navigate" when it's awful. If these internet want more cord cutters, make a damn user interface similar to cable and satellite providers. It's not rocket science!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

With supposedly rumored features coming soon to Vue it's seems to be the model of internet tv at this time.
I'll never understand when new providers come on board, why do they try to reinvent the wheel?
Don't tell me "our way will make things better and easier to navigate" when it's awful. If these internet want more cord cutters, make a damn user interface similar to cable and satellite providers. It's not rocket science!

Agreed. The lack of a guide on Sling IS awful.

Did Vue recently update their guide ? I heard they have a new guide ?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Was going to sign up for the trial but it's a deal breaker with no AMC and having to pay $14.99 more for skip and extra storage is a bit much. I have Directv now and with unlimited data AT&T will knock off $25 off that bringing me to $10 a month plus tax so that's tough to beat. Supposed to be a dvr feature coming with now very soon I hear .

Was going to sign up for the trial but it's a deal breaker with no AMC and having to pay $14.99 more for skip and extra storage is a bit much. I have Directv now and with unlimited data AT&T will knock off $25 off that bringing me to $10 a month plus tax so that's tough to beat. Supposed to be a dvr feature coming with now very soon I hear .

Give them some time for tweaking, they all launch too soon. IF they don't have some substantial positive changes 1 year from now, they likely never will.

Personally, I think they messed up big time with setting their pricing too high right from the get-go. IF the internet streaming choices are now all going to pull the "extra fee's" scam with everything, they'll die off even faster than the original cable tv and satellite services.

Vue-Core Slim ( every channel I want and need) with 5 screens, DVR and Commercial Free Hulu-$47 a month ( rounding off)

Hulu Live with more screens ( household of 4 here), unlimited DVR and commercial free, no AMC or BBC America-$64 a month.

Smart plan Hulu, add those fees back in that I left Comcast for.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

In the end, they're all greedy. Someday when they all replace the satellite and cable plans completely, the pricing structure will be exactly the same. Fees make them money

Reactions: stardust3
Depends on who your ISP is. A lot of companies are doing away with data caps
Don't believe everything the marketroids tell you. More than a few of the providers are saying that but when you look at the fine print, they may throttle your bandwidth if you exceed some difficult to predict threshold. One wireless company will throttle your bandwidth when you reach the "upper x% of bandwidth usage".

At least with a cap, you can figure out where you are and you won't mysteriously start having a case of the slows out-of-the-blue. AT&T's Unlimited+ plan switches to 3G after 22GB. Verizon's "Unlimited" plan sees your traffic "deprioritized" after 22GB at peak times. Sprint starts throttling at 23GB. Especially with the wireless carriers, there's nothing truly unlimited about their unlimited plans.

While the wired carriers typically have higher thresholds, they aren't immune to "making their networks fair to all customers".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts