Hulu Live TV launches today

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
In the end, they're all greedy. Someday when they all replace the satellite and cable plans completely, the pricing structure will be exactly the same. Fees make them money

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Was thinking the same thing. Any good streaming service that has been around for awhile will be right in line with mvpd's pricing structure in the not so distant future.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I was actually looking into Hulu Live, but it is not worth the price and still missing the channels I want. The main drawback is complicated UI for the guide. Why can't they just make a simple linear guide?

I also looked into Vue but it is way too much money. Because I live in the LA market, the prices for each package are $10 more per month. In order to get the channels I want I would have to get the Elite Package which would be $75/month for me. That is the same price I am paying for DirecTV ($50 off per month for a year) with more channels and more options. That discount expires this month and when they stop offering it to me, I will cancel.

DirecTV Now is too limited and has a long way to go (nice guide though.)

Even though SlingTV has its limits and the lack of a linear guide, it appears to be the best option for me.

Personally, I think they messed up big time with setting their pricing too high right from the get-go. IF the internet streaming choices are now all going to pull the "extra fee's" scam with everything, they'll die off even faster than the original cable tv and satellite services.
People seem to have this misunderstanding that they deserve everything for nothing.

When will these companies wake up and realize people want a program guide? The lack of a guide in every service except DTVNOW is just absurd.

When will these companies wake up and realize people want a program guide? The lack of a guide in every service except DTVNOW is just absurd.

Vue has a guide. It runs the opposite way of most guides in STB (tivo has an option to do it similar), but they do have one on every platform except Roku.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Vue is more of a cable/sat replacement in that you are locked to your home registered IP address in order to get access to all features. (ie, you can't access your "DVR" outside your house) It makes sense for companies that are taking that approach to try and make it function as close to the product they are replacing as possible.

When it comes to solutions like Hulu and Youtube TV, it's pretty clear they're targeting people watching on phones and tablets as their product differentiator. Just watch the service promo video - it pretty much says "Watch shows on all your devices! Oh, and on your TV too, if you're locked in your old ways like mom."

Reactions: buckeyebrian
So if I pay $40 for Hulu's Live TV service, could I then just pay $4 extra for "commercial free Hulu," and watch all the shows I'd normally record with a DVR the next day "on demand" without commercials? Unless there are a lot of gaps in what would be available next day across the various networks, there may not even be a need in my case to pay $15 more per month for the privilege of fast-forwarding commercials. I won't sign up until they have AMC regardless, but so far Hulu is the only live TV service to offer CBS College Sports, an extremely important channel for me.

So if I pay $40 for Hulu's Live TV service, could I then just pay $4 extra for "commercial free Hulu," and watch all the shows I'd normally record with a DVR the next day "on demand" without commercials?
There are shows on the channels that Hulu Live includes that are not part of the current-season on-demand catalog. For example, Project Runway only has seasons from 2-3 years back in Hulu's standard catalog, but Lifetime is included in Hulu Live so you could DVR current season episodes. Also, any live sporting events aren't going to make it into the catalog, so if you record a game you're going to have to watch it without being able to FF through the commercial breaks unless you pony up the $15.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zookster
Also, any live sporting events aren't going to make it into the catalog, so if you record a game you're going to have to watch it without being able to FF through the commercial breaks unless you pony up the $15.
Egad! That'd kill trying to watch an NFL game.

I was actually looking into Hulu Live, but it is not worth the price and still missing the channels I want. The main drawback is complicated UI for the guide. Why can't they just make a simple linear guide?

I also looked into Vue but it is way too much money. Because I live in the LA market, the prices for each package are $10 more per month. In order to get the channels I want I would have to get the Elite Package which would be $75/month for me. That is the same price I am paying for DirecTV ($50 off per month for a year) with more channels and more options. That discount expires this month and when they stop offering it to me, I will cancel.

DirecTV Now is too limited and has a long way to go (nice guide though.)

Even though SlingTV has its limits and the lack of a linear guide, it appears to be the best option for me.

I have directv now currently and dish and between that I pay about what the regular top 200 price is plus equipment costs. The only reason i have directv now still is because soon I'm moving to The unlimited plan with AT&T and you get $25 off so I'll end up paying $10 after discount is applied. The dvr feature from what I've heard is coming very soon and was told by multiple reps it's in the final testing stage.

I agree though if you want channels you watch you have to get vue's highest package and you're right on par with Directv . The only real advantage of Vue is no contract and with directv there is one and if they don't give you a deal to stay you can't leave unless you're out of contract without paying a fee. If these tv companies didn't have all these outrageous fees in the first place they'd retain customers. They should offer a loyalty program with the longer you stay the bigger the discount automatically. Then people wouldn't cancel and be switching to internet based tv.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Don't believe everything the marketroids tell you. More than a few of the providers are saying that but when you look at the fine print, they may throttle your bandwidth if you exceed some difficult to predict threshold. One wireless company will throttle your bandwidth when you reach the "upper x% of bandwidth usage".

At least with a cap, you can figure out where you are and you won't mysteriously start having a case of the slows out-of-the-blue. AT&T's Unlimited+ plan switches to 3G after 22GB. Verizon's "Unlimited" plan sees your traffic "deprioritized" after 22GB at peak times. Sprint starts throttling at 23GB. Especially with the wireless carriers, there's nothing truly unlimited about their unlimited plans.

While the wired carriers typically have higher thresholds, they aren't immune to "making their networks fair to all customers".

I have 5 lines on the Verizon unlimited, and so far they have yet to throttle after the 22gb. We'll see what happens as more and more people switch to the plan.

IMG_6037.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I agree though if you want channels you watch you have to get vue's highest package and you're right on par with Directv .

Everyone has their channel priorities, but with the PS Vue $35/mo. package, I get everything I watch, plus free DVR capabilities. Every time I consider upgrading to the Core Elite package for $10/mo. more, I look at the list and see a bunch of channels I've never heard of and maybe two or three I wouldn't mind having but may not even ever watch if I had them. That's the great thing about Vue: you get all the most popular cable channels for $30; for $5 more, you get more sports channels, including NFL/MLB/NBA networks, your RSN, Sundance, and TCM. The biggest advantage I see with the Elite package are the extra movie channels, but as a Netflix and Amazon Prime sub, I don't need them.

Do you really need more than a TB?

With three of us in the house and using three different streaming boxes, we have gone above 1TB 4 of the last 7 months when we started with Vue. I believe the only reason we didn't go over the other months is our son was visiting friends.

With three of us in the house and using three different streaming boxes, we have gone above 1TB 4 of the last 7 months when we started with Vue. I believe the only reason we didn't go over the other months is our son was visiting friends.

I do not know who your service provider is but do not trust their meter, last month Comcast's meter showed we used 1.6 TBs and our son was able to look at our modem/router and it showed less then half that.

This month the meter was not showing up for the first few days, but now it shows 181GBs so far in May which matches what it says we used in the logs of our equipment , my guess is Comcast fixed their faulty software in reading how much data their customers are using.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

I do not know who your service provider is but do not trust their meter, last month Comcast's meter showed we used 1.6 TBs and our son was able to look at our modem/router and it showed less then half that.

This month the meter was not showing up for the first few days, but now it shows 181GBs so far in May which matches what it says we used in the logs of our equipment , my guess is Comcast fixed their faulty software in reading how much data their customers are using.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

That is a scam they run. Suddenlink does the same thing. Set yourself up under a Comcast buisness account. No caps.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)