Hulu Plus malfunctions on Roku xd player

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

avg1joe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Southern Maine
I've been watching Netflix for some time on my Roku XD and really like the little box. I almost never have any issues with it. Although Netflix was buffering alot without successfully playing the other day.

I signed up for a Hulu Plus free trial and discovered that my Roku was too full to install the Hulu channel. Thinking this may explain some of my Netflix woes I deleted a bunch of channels and then installed Hulu.

I sat down to watch Doc Martin last night and it seems like Hulu Plus has even more commercials than the free Hulu. About 20 minutes through the show the banner saying Ad 2 of 2 stayed on the screen during the actual show and the remote stopped responding. I continued to watch and the message stayed on the screen, the roku remained unresponsive to any remote buttons, until until about 30 minutes into the show the image on the screen froze. I unplugged the box and waited for it to reboot.

When I went back to Hulu Plus it said I have a show in progress and I chose to continue where I left off. It took me back to about the 12 minute mark. I was able to fast forward from there and successfully watch the rest of the show.

So far I'm not real impressed with Hulu Plus on my roku. Netflix is working flawlessly before and after this.

hulu plus stinks alot of the content is duplicated on amazon prime and netflix with.........no commercials

I cancelled Hulu+ at the end of the free trial. Turns out I had only watched about 2 hours of content in the two months. I was very disappointed in that I had hoped to get feeds of the USA network shows that are on the regular hulu. However, none of them are available on Hulu+, only on the computer version. I can see no advantage to paying for this content over running a feed from my computer and watching the regular Hulu for free.

Hulu+ makes sense if you're OTA only, or have no dvr, or both. Other than that the ads kill it compared to a Netflix/Amazon subscription.

There are ways to get standard Hulu onto your roku, most require a type of media server transcoding (converting it from the Hulu format to the Roku compatible format) things on a mac or pc that is on your network.

I agree hulu+ ain't much punkin.The ads ruin it.As soon as the free trial is over sayonara.

Hulu+ should be renamed Hulu - ; it is a conundrum in my opinion. The business model has no logic to me and why they can't stream content for a selection of popular shows - ? Don't know...I think most of the content derives from the networks who have joint ownship in Hulu+ . It appears many subscribers are cord cutters - however, without reconnecting that cord the fallout may disqualify them from being able to "pay" to continue with or begin a new subscription. And yes, commercials. A different animal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)