Huntsville, AL Locals Question

256HDfan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Does anyone know when the ABC channel (WAAY) will be available in HD on dish and why it was not made available with the other channels? Thanks in advance.

Not from Huntsville.. But the standard answer would be that WAAY wanted more money for their station than Charlie wanted to pay. And as to when they will get it turned on. That answer in Dish terms would be "SOON" Who knows what Soon really means though.

Does anyone know when the ABC channel (WAAY) will be available in HD on dish and why it was not made available with the other channels? Thanks in advance.

Contract issues probably. Could be an actual technical issue. Call the station manager tomorrow and find out. Sometimes it takes a few weeks and then sometime it can take a lot longer to get them all. Feel lucky that you have 3.:)

if you find out post it, I had issues last season because Lost and Supernatural came on at the same time and could only record 1 OTA :( without WAAY i feel i will still have the same problem.

At least you are lucky enough to get 3. As soon as I read that HSV was turned on, I called E* and the CSR said HD's are not available in your area and you will be informed when they are. My dish isn't pointed at 61.5, and I live in a valley totally void of any OTA possibilities.

At least you are lucky enough to get 3. As soon as I read that HSV was turned on, I called E* and the CSR said HD's are not available in your area and you will be informed when they are. My dish isn't pointed at 61.5, and I live in a valley totally void of any OTA possibilities.

If they told you HSV locals were not available, call again... according to dish's system, they were not available until thurs, so they couldnt activate them on your account until then.

I scheduled the install of the 61.5 wing dish this past Friday 04/25. The DISH website began listing the HSV stations in HD Thursday.

The CSR said WAAY-HD ABC was not avialable yet. She didn't say why.

WHDF-SD CW and WHIQ-SD PBS are also on 61.5 in MPEG-4. They should look better than the present 110 MPEG-2 versions.

lowdown

Three possible anwers as to why WAAY isn't available:

1) They want more money than Dish is willing to pay (as mentioned in post 2)

2) They want something that Dish is unilling to do...like uplink another station or a secondary channel or a fight over who is paying for the fiber link to the POP or some other kind of consideration Dish is unwilling to concede.

3) A technical problem with getting Dish the feed.

If the problem is #1 or #2, the answer as to when is strictly up to the local station. If the problem is #3 then the answer is "when they fix it" :)

See ya
Tony

I Got My Wing Dish Today!

I got my wing dish today and the pictute looks great! However, I tried watching a lil bit of WAFF tonight around 7:30 and the picture kept freezing up on me, like it wasn't getting a signal all the time. Has anyone else seen this problem with H'ville HD locals freezing up on em'? I didn't notice that problem with the other locals earlier today. I'll keep watching this to see if it corrects itself!

TVrocker2k5

Did you get your wing dish?

Did they change out your existing dish or leave it alone?

What does the picture quality of the local HD channels look like from DISH?

Thanks.

lowdown

He left the other dish up as is and just installed a wing dish. I had to leave in the middle of the install so I dont have all the details yet, but all I know right now is that the installer told my father that he did not have the correct lnb to go on the dish, so he is going to have to come back. When he first came to do the install, it took several minutes to explain to the guy why I needed a wing dish (and he still insisted that my locals should be on 129). After he came inside and looked through my guide, he determined that I did indeed need a wing dish.

Long story short, DISH needs to keep their installers a little more informed. I just dont understand how he did not have the right stuff to do the install when he arrived...

Three possible anwers as to why WAAY isn't available:

1) They want more money than Dish is willing to pay (as mentioned in post 2)

2) They want something that Dish is unilling to do...like uplink another station or a secondary channel or a fight over who is paying for the fiber link to the POP or some other kind of consideration Dish is unwilling to concede.

3) A technical problem with getting Dish the feed.

If the problem is #1 or #2, the answer as to when is strictly up to the local station. If the problem is #3 then the answer is "when they fix it" :)

See ya
Tony

1) might be possible since I think they are under new ownership, but i'm not sure this is the case.

2) the have NO subchannels so this isn't a problem.

3) i would guess its a problem on WAAY's end. WAAY seems to be behind the curve on technology, last i checked they still don't have 5.1 OTA, so it could very well be a problem getting the signal to Dish.

1) might be possible since I think they are under new ownership, but i'm not sure this is the case.

2) the have NO subchannels so this isn't a problem.

3) i would guess its a problem on WAAY's end. WAAY seems to be behind the curve on technology, last i checked they still don't have 5.1 OTA, so it could very well be a problem getting the signal to Dish.

I think it is just contractual/legal stupid stuff. They want their signal in HD to as many folks as they can send it to.

We should have WAAY-HD ABC within a few weeks. I think/I hope. :rolleyes:

lowdown

Anyone that is receiving Huntsville locals via Dish now care to comment on the audio/video quality?

Dish Rescheduled Install

Dish rescheduled my 61.5 wing dish install from Saturday 05/03 8 - 12noon to 05/11 (Mother's Day!) 8 -12noon. :eek:

Mom will not be pleased.

They didn't bother to call and tell me. :mad: I talked to "Lisa" from India (yeah...right) Friday afternoon to confirm the original Saturday appointment and was told of the change.

That is some gooooood customer service.

I should be home Christmas Day or Easter if they want to change the appointment to then. Please don't call and let me know in advance. We love surprises. :rolleyes:

lowdown

lol, i finally got mine, took an e-mail to the CEO address... Havent had a chance to see any HD on them yet though.

I did stew over it last weekend and did write an e-mail to the CEO address. I received a prompt reply.

Dish did say they have a shortage of 61.5 wing dishes. Why they didn't think of this before advertising and selling the new HD channels I do not know.

They also said they would look into why I was not notified or called about the appointment change. You can't alienate your customers if you want to retain them.

I guess I will have to see what happens Sunday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)