Hurricane Frances headed my way ... peace and quiet to reign on SatGuys forum

Now i've lost CBS (4). All I have left is NBC (6) and a bottle of scotch!!

I'm wondering if maybe it's just the signal having problems getting through and not my antenna. Can anyone else in the Miami area get 4, 7, and 10?

The storm is sitting right next to me and not moving, I want this thing to friggin thing to just go away!!!

105 MPH
50 Miles east of me
Not Moving!!!

If it moves it's projected to come right on shore

I never took my dish down, but since I've lost power I can use it anyways, It's too late to go and fish it down, so I hope it survives, I'm just running on a 20 minute UPS, I hope to talk to you later, please wish me luck!!!

So far I have power but just in case i got my laptop fully charged and ready. I'll have broadband for about half hour till my ups runs dry, then I'll have dialup till my laptop dies.

Can anyone in south florida confirm about channels 4-1, 7-1, 10-1, and 33-1? I can't get them anymore and my antenna looks like it moved, but I still get channel 6 with a 99 signal strength. Are those other channels just not transmitting on their digital frequencies or is my antenna hosed?

I have a E* 811 with an OTA tuner. In Weston I am having the same result. Sat pictures have been perfect, but the most stations except 6.1 (nbc) must have turned off their digital signals.

jds thanks for the info. I was really starting to worry about my antenna. Only stations I can still get are 6 and 39. I checked the other ones individually and get a signal strength of zero. Usually I get some signal even if it's not strong enough to lock it in, so I am going to assume they just shut them off. I can't believe they would actually turn off their digital signals (while leaving the regular signal on) in the middle of a hurricane ! I'm sure they must have a good reason but some of us like me can only get digital signals. If this is really what the other stations did, channel 6 has a new fan and once I find out what really happened I'm gonna be writing a few letters if the other ones did shut off the signal.

update...I called all the stations that were out. Channel 10 wasn't even aware they had a digital OTA feed. :confused: Channel 7 told me it was a problem with my cable company...umm..right. :what They didn't know they had a digital OTA feed either. Considering Fox's history with HD I'm not surprised.

Channel 4 was a completely different story!! Got transferred a couple of times until I got to their chief engineer who knew exactly what I was talking about. Turns out they did shut it down because their power went down, their backup line they pay FPL extra for also went down, so they have been running everything on generators and needed to save the power. The signal is off but it was refreshing talking to someone who actually knew what I was talking about and didn't mind spending a couple minutes on the phone explaining what happened to a regular schmoe.

As for 7 and 10...well...who knows....although since I'm getting a zero signal strength it's probably because they shut it off, not because my antenna moved. If it was still on I should still be able to get at least some signal even if it was too low to lock on to it. I just hope my antenna will still pick them up when they come back on even though it moved.

BTW, my satellite has been up all day. Everyone I know with cable is down!! Of course everyone I know with cable has adelphia which is known as the worst cable company in the country, so this is no surprise.

lostcause, thanks man I thought my OTA Metrostar antenna had done a UFO off my roof and was crusing South Florida. I lost all channels except 6, PBS, UPn and WB... 7,10, and 4 have been off the air for a long time...

Meanwhile----- I've only lost Voom intermittently but overall it's been COoL! WHAT THE HELL? I've been watching Monsters, HBO, and Rave like all day long... this storm should stay the rest of the week.

EDIT: Scratch that my fellow S.Florida Voomers ain't having it so easy apparently, get off BFG's back Frances he's going to miss the new HD shows airing this weeK! :smug

Back on the CPU today, still no power, hopefully, we'll have it soon. The Dish managed to never move through the whole entire time, even as both eye walls passed over us.

Only lost a bunch of treews, but that's about it. It's getting really hot and the fridge is starting to spoil. I hope to be able to go out tommorrow, and get my power back, still making it through...

West Palm Beach here...power back on...phonelines back on...lots of tree damage...ft pierce looks alot worse...lines at distribution sites are amazingly long...hope all r safe

My power came back on this morning as well. Was able to go to a bagel shop to get breakfast out of the house, that was soo good :) Unfortunetly my dish was being knocked around on the side of the house and I can't seem to get the alignment back for the life of me. I'll keep trying, but they're scheduled to come out Saturday morning, hopefully that other thing we're not going to talk about, doesn't come here...

so true BFG...so we wont talk about it. My dish is at my other house in Hobe Sound...I haven't ventured up there yet, will do tomorrow.

Hope all is well with the rest of us SoFla Voomers

My CHannel Master OTA and stealth did well in 60+. So did thhe D* dish. The hurricane coming at us was no big deal, but last night the SW side of the storm was scary as h***. We are now waiting through the tornado warnings.

Here comes IVAN

Hey don't speak that name around here :p

YEAH!!!!! I got my Dish Aligned!!!!!!! Ah, life is complete :D :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)