Hurricane Irene.... (1 Viewer)

salsadancer7

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 1, 2004
28,020
182
South Florida
I know this has nothing to do with sports, but for those in the Sports Forum and SatelliteGuys in general...

DO NOT take a CAT 2 hurricane lightly! Being a surviver of quite a few direct hits, near missing and anything inbetween... please play it safe and smart!
 

SandraC

On Vacation
Apr 10, 2008
7,302
0
NJ
No word on Belmar, but a number of the nearby shore towns have a mandatory evacuation no later than noon Saturday. I was hoping to watch from my top floor balcony, where we can see the ocean from a block away.

Should be interesting...


Sandra
 

salsadancer7

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 1, 2004
28,020
182
South Florida
No word on Belmar, but a number of the nearby shore towns have a mandatory evacuation no later than noon Saturday. I was hoping to watch from my top floor balcony, where we can see the ocean from a block away.

Should be interesting...


Sandra

I would not take that chance. The higher you are, the stronger the swirling winds and God only knows what can be flying by in way of debris. I have seen ALL KINDS of things flying by during just tropical storms... from satellite dishes to lawn chairs to avocados to planks from wooden fences.
 

mccoyrj

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 27, 2007
5,381
300
Southwest Ohio
Evacuating NYC seems a bit of an over-reaction to me. Should weaken significantly by the time it runs up the coast...unless they are calling for it to bounce back out in the Atlantic and restrengthen for a second landfall there.
 

salsadancer7

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 1, 2004
28,020
182
South Florida
mccoyrj said:
Evacuating NYC seems a bit of an over-reaction to me. Should weaken significantly by the time it runs up the coast...unless they are calling for it to bounce back out in the Atlantic and restrengthen for a second landfall there.

They are evacuating the flood areas of NYC because of the storm surge and its proximity of high tide when it is in the area, as per the weather channel. From past hurricanes we have gone through, most of the damages and deaths came from water....storm surge and drownings.
 

mccoyrj

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 27, 2007
5,381
300
Southwest Ohio
salsadancer7 said:
They are evacuating the flood areas of NYC because of the storm surge and its proximity of high tide when it is in the area, as per the weather channel. From past hurricanes we have gone through, most of the damages and deaths came from water....storm surge and drownings.

That makes sense. My family and I vacationed in Carolina Beach, NC this year. Not even any protection from the Outer Banks there. Storm surge will be devastating. Hope they come out of this thing OK.

Good news is that they are seeing less than what they were expecting initially and are categorizing it between a 2 and 1 now (according to the weather station).
 

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 5, 2008
2,322
7
conn.
Yeah, Im in CT., right in the middle of this thing. Im to the point now where I just want to get this thing over with!! Also, all Im trying to do is try to get to Sunday afternoon when the hurricane is supposed to subside. Everybody on this forum whos in it now or going to be in it, please be careful.
 

cjwct

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 2, 2006
1,592
8
Glastonbury, CT
Mets82 said:
Yeah, Im in CT., right in the middle of this thing. Im to the point now where I just want to get this thing over with!! Also, all Im trying to do is try to get to Sunday afternoon when the hurricane is supposed to subside. Everybody on this forum whos in it now or going to be in it, please be careful.

Good luck Mets82. I am in Glastonbury in my basement hunkering in for a long night!
 

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 5, 2008
2,322
7
conn.
Good luck Mets82. I am in Glastonbury in my basement hunkering in for a long night!

You and I are in the same boat with this thing. Hopefully, it will lose a little bit of pressure. I want this hurricane to be over soon. At least for me, I was reassured when everyone has said that the hurricane will hit after midnight. Thats because I'll be sleeping. I woke up early this morning, maybe I'll sleep through most of the hurricane. Also good luck to you cjwct.
 

salsadancer7

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 1, 2004
28,020
182
South Florida
Mets82 said:
You and I are in the same boat with this thing. Hopefully, it will lose a little bit of pressure. I want this hurricane to be over soon. At least for me, I was reassured when everyone has said that the hurricane will hit after midnight. Thats because I'll be sleeping. I woke up early this morning, maybe I'll sleep through most of the hurricane. Also good luck to you cjwct.

Pressure STILL at 951...still strong for at cat 1. Stay guys...
 

salsadancer7

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 1, 2004
28,020
182
South Florida
Jimbo said:
Salsa,
Please explain, pressure still 951, need something to reference.

It just means the storm has had an amazing staying power. The only reason the storm has weakened is because the winds coming back in has been coming from land. If the eye would have been another 25 miles off shore, it would still be a middle cat 2, as per the weathermen down here. The weather dudes also stated that low barometric pressure can produce stronger/higher storm surge.

The guy David Bernard, who they just showed during the halftime news report on Irene is one of our Miami weather dudes.
 
Last edited:

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
63,346
3,930
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
It just means the storm has had an amazing staying power. The only reason the storm has not weakened is because the winds coming back in has been coming from land. If the eye would have been another 25 miles off shore, it would still be a middle cat 2, as per the weathermen down here. The weather dudes also stated that low barometric pressure can produce stronger/higher storm surge.

The guy David Bernard, who they just showed during the halftime news report on Irene is one of our Miami weather dudes.

Thanks for the info :)
 

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 5, 2008
2,322
7
conn.
So, I was up all night with this hurricane. I mean there was some wind and rain but nothing that I thought looked like a hurricane. I finally fall asleep around a quarter to 9 this morning and the power goes out. When I wake up at around 11:15 the power comes back on. I dont know if the hurricane hit. I dont know what I slept through. Was it as bad as people said it was going to be? Did the eye of the storm miss Connecticut? Im not even sure as long as this thing is over.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top