Hurricane Irene....

We rode it out...the ocean was an amazing show.

I've always had a basketball net in my driveway for my nieces and nephews, and my husband and I decide to take it down and move it to the backyard...so it doesn't land on our cars or anything. It holds water in the base but now that leaks, so we've been holding it down with five 50 pound sandbags recently.

When my husband takes the last sandbag off the base, the net IMMEDIATELY tips over and falls onto my car! I guess the rim make it top heavy or something, as at the time it was just hot and sticky and there was zero wind. Minor damage, nothing that can't be fixed. It was so absurd, we both got hysterical laughing!

Storm surge brought the water over Ocean Ave, but we're a couple of houses away from Ocean and it didn't reach us. We did get rain water in our basement.

There is something wonderful about cuddling with your hubby during a serious storm!!! ;)

Sandra

We rode it out...the ocean was an amazing show.

I've always had a basketball net in my driveway for my nieces and nephews, and my husband and I decide to take it down and move it to the backyard...so it doesn't land on our cars or anything. It holds water in the base but now that leaks, so we've been holding it down with five 50 pound sandbags recently.

When my husband takes the last sandbag off the base, the net IMMEDIATELY tips over and falls onto my car! I guess the rim make it top heavy or something, as at the time it was just hot and sticky and there was zero wind. Minor damage, nothing that can't be fixed. It was so absurd, we both got hysterical laughing!

Storm surge brought the water over Ocean Ave, but we're a couple of houses away from Ocean and it didn't reach us. We did get rain water in our basement.

There is something wonderful about cuddling with your hubby during a serious storm!!! ;)

Sandra

Glad your and your husband are safe. Please, if you get a chance, there is nothing more wonderful than great neighborhood harmony. Check on your neighbors and see that they are ok. I do that every time we have had a storm.

My In-laws live in upstate New York. They got hit really really hard. ABC showed some footage this morning. Major Flooding. The area is near the old Woodstock concert area.

My In-laws live in upstate New York. They got hit really really hard. ABC showed some footage this morning. Major Flooding. The area is near the old Woodstock concert area.

That is why northerners should never make a big deal about winds. Winds are bad, but flooding and storm surge is much worse.... Thank GOD my parents live in western NY and got a little rain.

That is why northerners should never make a big deal about winds. Winds are bad, but flooding and storm surge is much worse.... Thank GOD my parents live in western NY and got a little rain.
Flooding is always the worst. It's what gets you if you're not on the coast (coastal people get the surge).

The worst part is, the flooding usually comes a day or two after the storm hits, as now you're getting the water that was dumped upstream of you.

Glad your and your husband are safe. Please, if you get a chance, there is nothing more wonderful than great neighborhood harmony. Check on your neighbors and see that they are ok. I do that every time we have had a storm.

We did that yesterday...it was like a mini block party. Luckily no major damage on our street. All the trees that fell went toward the street, and the power lines are underground. Sometimes you get lucky. The rest of Belmar had some real damage.

Sandra

My parents have told me about the storms of the past. Maine got hit really bad back in 1954 . It got two . Hurricane Carol and Hurricane Edna. Here are some photos from my personal collection of the Rockport Drive-In [video]http://youtu.be/eKqUE3m13n4[/video]

We did that yesterday...it was like a mini block party. Luckily no major damage on our street. All the trees that fell went toward the street, and the power lines are underground. Sometimes you get lucky. The rest of Belmar had some real damage.

Sandra

Glad everyone is safe.

My brother called my from Queens and he had all of his friends from the evacuated areas crash at his place. I saw video from Battery Park....crazy... storm surge was 18 inhes above The Weather Channels knees....that is almost a 9 foot storm surge!

...Please explain, pressure still 951, need something to reference.
At sea level air pressure is normally around 1013.25mb (millibars...29.92 inches of mercury). Warmer water increases sea level air pressure. Extremely strong hurricanes are accompanied by air pressure drops of between 30 and 70mb. Wind is the natural result of having a low pressure area next to a higher pressure. The greater the pressure difference between a low pressure area and a high pressure area, the stronger the winds...like a tornado for instance.

Hope all of you in it made out safely and with minimal damage to property.

Last edited:
Just got my power back after 28 hours without it.

I'm a few miles from the east facing coast (south of Boston), and we got minimal damage.

It's the south facing coast that got the the worst damage (storm surge), and Western Mass up through Vermont got the torrential rain and flooding.

BillD1984 said:

I'm a few miles from the east facing coast (south of Boston), and we got minimal damage.

It's the south facing coast that got the the worst damage (storm surge), and Western Mass up through Vermont got the torrential rain and flooding.

Glad you and the family are safe!

BillD1984 said:

Glad to se all is well Bill, hadn't heard from you latley.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Glad to se all is well Bill, hadn't heard from you latley.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys
Thanks Jimbo.....yep, we were the fortunate ones. No electricity for a day or so, about $200 of perishable food lost and our yard was a little messy with tree limbs and the such. But I have no right complaining, my family is fine, my electricity is back on and life is getting back to normal here on the South Shore. Unfortunately, not everyone in Mass can say the same thing.

Our friends in Milford Conn. don't have power. And they haven't for some time now. They might not get it back until friday.

I live in North Haven Conn. and we lost our power for about 2 and a half hours on Sunday morning. Im pretty lucky as far as that goes but I know it must stink for your friends in Milford as well as everyone else who doesnt have power and wont get power for a couple of days.

televisionarchives said:
Our friends in Milford Conn. don't have power. And they haven't for some time now. They might not get it back until friday.

After Wilma, we went 10 days without power...with a family AND a county mandated curfew, it was not easy.

The remnants of Ike came all the way up to Ohio and not only knocked our power out for 5 days, but also ripped the copper roof off of our front porch. Adds to the old adage "it ain't over til it's over." Good luck to those without power...hope they get it back soon.

The remnants of Ike came all the way up to Ohio and not only knocked our power out for 5 days, but also ripped the copper roof off of our front porch. Adds to the old adage "it ain't over til it's over." Good luck to those without power...hope they get it back soon.

That was the remnants of Ike? I hate to see what would have happened if you were in the eye of the storm.

That was the remnants of Ike? I hate to see what would have happened if you were in the eye of the storm.
If they're strong enough, they often wipe out the coastline they hit then continue on as a tropical storm. Don't know if you're old enough to remember Camille, but it did the same thing as Ike, only worse. This is what it did to Virginia (from Wikipedia):

Several places reportedly received over 8 inches (200 mm) of rain from Camille's remains, leading to significant flooding across the state. A total of 153 people lost their lives from blunt trauma sustained during mountain slides, related to the flash flooding, not drowning. More than 123 of these deaths were in Nelson County. Debris avalanches occurred on hillsides with a slope greater than 35 percent. In Nelson County, the number of deaths amounted to over one percent of the county's population. The worst of the damage was reported in Massies Mill, Woods Mill, Roseland, Bryant, Tyro, Montebello, Lovingston, Norwood, Rockfish, and along the Davis and Muddy creeks. The James and Tye rivers crested well above flood stage in many areas, including a record high of 41.3 feet (12.6 m) at Columbia, Virginia. Hurricane Camille caused more than $140 million of damage (1969 dollars) in Virginia. Camille was considered one of the worst natural disasters in central Virginia's recorded history.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)