HWS 204 Bugs

I have found that when I am in a favorites list on the main guide, the mini-guide never works on HWS or SJ. When in the "all subscribed" list the mini-guide works on both every time so far.

I have 2 hopper with sling boxes and every night they keep transferring recordings between each hopper. When I wake up and check either hopper, you never know what recordings you are going to find on each one.

Maybe someone in your house is swapping Hoppers during the night!:biggrin

Reactions: charlesrshell
In the guide you can no longer skip ahead a certain amount of hours. Used to be able to enter 12 then the right arrow and the guide would go forward 12 hours. Not anymore

try the skip forward button.
That doesn't work. The skip forward button only goes to the next 2 1/2 hours. On the old interface if you wanted to go ahead 9 hours, you would put in 9 then hit the fwd button and the guide would go forward 9 hours. Not anymore with the carbon. :(

Reactions: Hall
That doesn't work. The skip forward button only goes to the next 2 1/2 hours. On the old interface if you wanted to go ahead 9 hours, you would put in 9 then hit the fwd button and the guide would go forward 9 hours. Not anymore with the carbon. :(
So, you press skip forward 4 times and you are 10 hours ahead. If you want to go a full day ahead you press the forward button. All of these have been live on Hoppers for years.

So, you press skip forward 4 times and you are 10 hours ahead. If you want to go a full day ahead you press the forward button. All of these have been live on Hoppers for years.
That's a simple example but what dennispap is referring to was a feature that allowed you to skip ahead in much larger jumps. For example, you could enter "72" and then hit one of the forward buttons (don't remember now if it was the 10-second-skip-ahead or the fast-forward button) and it would move (3) days in advance. You could do that up to "99" (hours).

OH Bobby !

If Dish took away remotes and made you switch the channels from the box only you would think that's a feature and not a bug lol.

While there are some "work arounds" with this software, it's flawed significantly In quite a few areas.

That's why this is a BUG thread.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I don't see it as flaws at all. It is simply a different way to do things. I have literally been advancing hours and days on the Hoppers for 4 years by using the skip forward and forward buttons. I press forward 3 times and I am three days ahead. I can press it 7 times and be a week ahead. There are new cars out there that have a push button in the dash to start and stop them. Oh my, where do I insert the key? :) I remember when some cars had their starter buttons on the floor, right next to the dimmer switch. Things change over time and we get used to it.

There are many bugs.
Once a week I have to reboot a Hopper because of a total lockup.
Today it was my MasterBedroom.
Last week it was the Living room.

And the Black box on the screen also happens at random when exiting the guide, and all the time exiting an app.

Also the PTA can't be shared between Hoppers no longer which is a huge downfall IMO.
No bugs with the Joeys yet, But recording also sometimes brings slower then normal function.

Sometimes the Audio synchronization is off, the solution is to rewind a few seconds.

Mini guides don't work very often.

Moca systems also shows mixed information about the system status.
That's takes days after a reboot, to populate correctly. Again not catastrophic, but an issue.

The signal strength screen often shows no info when a TP is selected, often has to be re-selected .
Which is minor, but bothersome when doing equipment tests after check switching.
Also Check switching is flawed, it asks you "do you wish to proceed or Exit"
Even if you press exit it still proceeds.

Lots of bugs.
Worst I've ever seen in Dish equipment. And obviously dish knows it, because this UI would have been out months ago.

I've also seen many complaints about OTA issues, as well as Home Media issues.

So with that in mind, my Decent Hopper system turned into Directvs 2012 HR34.

So Dish let's just get some of these issues adressed please.
Thanks.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I don't know if this is a bug or something that will solve itself, but here is what has been happening and how it has lead up to my current situation.....

I received my second replacement HWS a few days ago (this is the THIRD Hopper I've gone through in the past 14 months as the hard drives keep going out). I had been running my latest HWS on U203 after using the remote control trick to trigger the download 5-6 weeks ago. After I did this, my SJ also downloaded the Carbon UI.

After all of this took place 5-6 weeks ago, the hard drive on the HWS fried itself last week -- deleted all my recordings and stopped functioning. So Dish sent another replacement HWS to me, which arrived this past Tuesday. It arrived with the old S529 software.

But my SJ was still on the CUI software. Apparently this caused some sort of conflict because the SJ suddenly lost its program guide on Thursday.

I then had the HWS start a test of the switches. Unfortunately, it got stuck in a loop and was still "doing" this test 15 hours later. So I called advanced tech support at Dish yesterday and they figured it was a discrepancy between the two different UI's. So, over the phone, the Dish tech walked me through the process to trigger the Carbon download to replace the HWS' 529 software. This resulted in Dish downloading U204 to my HWS.

And then things really went crazy.....

All of a sudden, my HWS began using all 5 tuners -- without being programmed -- to start recording individual shows that I have never even heard of. Once it even changed the channel I was watching live in order to start recording some show on a different channel. I discovered this by using the red remote control button to check the tuner usage -- and was shocked to see all tuners recording different channels.

None of these recordings was previously set up as a timer recording. One of them even involved a premium channel that I do not even have in my package. The HWS is doing this stuff all on its own.

After a couple dozen shows recorded, all by themselves, last night, I deleted them and called back to Dish tech support. They had me go and manually stop the recordings. I can do this, but eventually the damn thing will start up FIVE MORE recordings. This morning, when I got up, I found THIRTY new recordings on the hard drive that were NOT previously set timer recordings.

Last night, the Dish tech person said to wait 3-4 days and see if this corrects itself, but it's difficult to just sit here and watch this thing go wild and change its own channels, record multiple simultaneous programs against my wishes, etc. She did say she had never heard of this before and that I was giving them new potential problem areas for the techs to be aware of.

Maybe I should ask my HWS to pay next month's bill? LOL

Did you actually look at the existing timers because it sound like your refurbished H2 still has the timers set from the previous user.

Yup, in fact I've looked over & over at the existing timers. Only my own timers are listed. In fact, when I received this Hopper, the timers were all empty. My previous replacement Hopper automatically installed my timers and I was expecting that to happen with this latest replacement unit. But it only retained my favorite channels and I had to manually re-create my regular timers.

So, nope, this is not from a previous user as far as I can tell.

Did you actually look at the existing timers because it sound like your refurbished H2 still has the timers set from the previous user.

Although the timers on this replacement HWS were completely blank when I activated it, I have to admit that its strange behavior DOES seem as if it is still trying to respond to a previous user's account. I don't know if this replacement HWS is brand new or used. They could not tell me what I would receive, so I'm not sure what I've got. If it is a used machine, it shows my justification in asking for a brand new unit. A used Hopper is like getting a used car -- just inheriting someone else's problems.

Among the unwanted recordings, (there are now about 50 of them on the hard drive) it is also trying to record programs from channels that are not part of my subscription. Sometimes I'll get a message on the screen advising a phone number to call if I want to subscribe to it. It also shows, on the tuner usage screen, that it IS recording a show from a non-subscribed channel. However, this is a false listing because it is NOT really recording since it is not part of my subscription. It lists the program under the recordings, but there is nothing really there.

So this is one confused HWS. Going into Sunday morning it is STILL happening. Maybe I should name it "HAL?" LOL

One really wild thing I found yesterday is dozens and dozens of listings showing up on my recording schedule -- except that they all had yellow lines through them to indicate they were not recorded due to a conflict. I think what this means is that it had literally dozens of unwanted recordings it wanted to do, but could only do the first 4 or 5 (first come first serve?) and the rest were automatically skipped since the tuners had all been confiscated.

In any case, this Hopper experience is unheard of (according to the advanced tech) and is the worst of the 3 Hoppers I've had so far. Each one has been worse than the previous one.

I wonder if Dish would be willing to waive the remaining 9 months on my 2-year commitment and allow me to just get the heck out of here. Escape and head for some other TV provider.

If these malfunctions are not resolved in the next couple of days I'll have no choice but ask about this. I certainly cannot continue on like this and cannot expect Dish to keep shipping replacement Hoppers to me every couple months.

I bet that the timers are related to a previous owner. When my HWS crapped out, Dish sent me a refurbished one. It came with a large number of recordings that I could not play, and could not delete. The dates on the recordings were before I actually obtained the refurbished receiver. Those recordings stayed there for months, until one day they just disappeared.

You could be right because I found over 20 more recordings that were done since I went to bed last night. Most of them are not on channels I watch and some are from channels that are not in my subscription package.

I went to bed last night and left the HWS on a music channel that I subscribe to. When I got up this morning, the machine had gone on standby even though I have that turned off. When I pressed the SELECT button, I found that the HWS had changed the channel from the music channel to some channel that I do not subscribe to. Thus, all I see is a black screen with an 005 message saying "PROGRAMMING NOT AUTHORIZED," which advises me to confirm that this is NOT a channel that I subscribe to by logging into dish.com/mychannels.

All these recordings are from many different channels, including Spanish channels which I cannot comprehend since I don't speak Spanish. But the beat goes on as day 3 begins with this turmoil and it sure is growing mighty thin with me.

Compared to what they were over the first 10 years I was with them, Dish has become very incompetent, both technologically and with the way they treat their customers. The phone techs have been very nice and tried to be helpful, but it seems like we are all trying to straighten out the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Here is the latest on Sunday night. I now have almost 100 recordings that I did not authorize and that were not listed in my timers. In addition to this, the recording schedule shows HUNDREDS of other non-authorized timers with yellow lines through them, saying they were skipped due to conflict. Here is an excerpt from a log I am now keeping..........

3/20 8:03P - Hopper suddenly shut down for no reason at all. When I hit SELECT, the screen was black so I had to manually return to the channel I was watching. Then the HWS abruptly switched to another channel and a message said it changed automatically because all tuners were in use. I checked with the red button and found the two tuners were actually available.

3/20 8:30 - Hopper abruptly switched from the channel I was watching and turned to some movie promo on Dish Studio. This is going WAY beyond my tolerance level.
At this moment, the red remote control button reveals this tuner usage...
Tuner 1 Ben-Hur
Tuner 2 Fletch Lives
Tuner 3 Kindergarden Cop
Tuner 4 AVAILABLE OTA
Tuner 5 Black Mass
Tuner 6 Black Mass
Out of all of this, only Ben-Hur and Kindergarden Cop were legitimate timers. The other ones, including TWO listings of Black Mass, are NOT real timers, but here they are driving me crazy. This same phenomenon has been going non-stop for 3 days now.
NOTE: After this Dish Studio promo was on for about 5 minutes, the Hopper then shut off again. Pressed SELECT to turn it on again and it came back on showing one of the two BLACK MASS recordings.

I am starting to wish I had never heard of the Hopper or Dish Network.

Here is the latest on Sunday night. I now have almost 100 recordings that I did not authorize and that were not listed in my timers. In addition to this, the recording schedule shows HUNDREDS of other non-authorized timers with yellow lines through them, saying they were skipped due to conflict. Here is an excerpt from a log I am now keeping..........

3/20 8:03P - Hopper suddenly shut down for no reason at all. When I hit SELECT, the screen was black so I had to manually return to the channel I was watching. Then the HWS abruptly switched to another channel and a message said it changed automatically because all tuners were in use. I checked with the red button and found the two tuners were actually available.

3/20 8:30 - Hopper abruptly switched from the channel I was watching and turned to some movie promo on Dish Studio. This is going WAY beyond my tolerance level.
At this moment, the red remote control button reveals this tuner usage...
Tuner 1 Ben-Hur
Tuner 2 Fletch Lives
Tuner 3 Kindergarden Cop
Tuner 4 AVAILABLE OTA
Tuner 5 Black Mass
Tuner 6 Black Mass
Out of all of this, only Ben-Hur and Kindergarden Cop were legitimate timers. The other ones, including TWO listings of Black Mass, are NOT real timers, but here they are driving me crazy. This same phenomenon has been going non-stop for 3 days now.
NOTE: After this Dish Studio promo was on for about 5 minutes, the Hopper then shut off again. Pressed SELECT to turn it on again and it came back on showing one of the two BLACK MASS recordings.

I am starting to wish I had never heard of the Hopper or Dish Network.
I would seriously consider maybe a complete new system.
Take these flaws as leverage on an H3 upgrade.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I think you have a good point there. Heck, at 9:03 p.m., the HWS turned itself off again for no reason -- 3rd time in the last 60 minutes it has done this.

I might ask for a free H3 upgrade as you suggest. Or, I might ask them to provide me with several of the old dual-tuner DVRs to replace the Hopper. I used those dual tuner units for years and they were excellent machines. Not much storage compared to the Hopper. But at least they worked. LOL