HWS 204 Bugs

Thanks Hall. This suggests to me that Dish has a serious problem. I've been battling this situation for about 3 weeks now. And I'm even missing some of my regular, legitimate timers because all the tuners are already busy recording the unauthorized programs. Dish seems to have really regressed VERY badly over the past few years. I wish they'd plug 2 TB HDs into the old dual tuner units to give a good option to the Hopper.

Reactions: pattykay
Just for the heck of it, as I wait for the tech to come, I unplugged both the HWS and SJ. Then I disconnected the SJ and plugged the HWS back in. And the HWS continued to spontaneously record 6 programs at a time. Probably does not necessarily mean that the SJ is innocent, but still an interesting observation.

I wish I had never heard of the Hopper. (Privately, I call it the Flopper). LOL

Just for the heck of it, as I wait for the tech to come, I unplugged both the HWS and SJ. Then I disconnected the SJ and plugged the HWS back in. And the HWS continued to spontaneously record 6 programs at a time. Probably does not necessarily mean that the SJ is innocent, but still an interesting observation.

I wish I had never heard of the Hopper. (Privately, I call it the Flopper). LOL
Maybe try out another remote control! :)

Reactions: JSheridan
Could you possibly have a bunch of timers set up with Dish Anywhere that then link up and start the recordings? I don't even know if that is possible. I am trying to think outside the box.

Could you possibly have a bunch of timers set up with Dish Anywhere that then link up and start the recordings? I don't even know if that is possible. I am trying to think outside the box.
Dish Anywhere is linked to the receiver ID, which in then links to the account. Problem is, it remembers the Receiver ID for quite a while before it re-checks. What that means is, when you get a new receiver, you probably can't use DA for days if not longer. So right now, if he logged into DA, it's probably going to tell him his receiver is offline. Why ? Because it's unplugged and in a box going back to Dish....

I've never used DA anyway. Even if I did, these spontaneous timer recordings are mostly things I've never heard of before, including many Spanish speaking programs. And I cannot speak Spanish. There is a ghost in the machine somewhere, though.

The 2nd replacement receiver is setting up timers for Spanish-language channels ? Didn't the first replacement do that too ?

Since it has happened on 2 different receivers, I withdraw my idea of Dish Anywhere causing the problem. My previous thought was the receiver was linked to the previous owner's Dish Anywhere account. Like Hall said it sometimes takes a while to get changed over to the new account. The other thing would be if someone was pranking you by using Dish Anywhere. It is weird that both times the recordings were Spanish. It sounds like it is somehow tied to the account. Let us know what you end up finding. The engineer in me is very curious.

Most of the unwanted recordings are in English, but there are always a few that are in Spanish. The tech called and is on his way. I asked if he had a HWS with him and he said yes. Wasn't sure if it had S529 or U204 installed. I told him I'd have quite a story to tell him when he gets here in about 20 minutes. LOL

Most of the unwanted recordings are in English, but there are always a few that are in Spanish. The tech called and is on his way. I asked if he had a HWS with him and he said yes. Wasn't sure if it had S529 or U204 installed. I told him I'd have quite a story to tell him when he gets here in about 20 minutes. LOL

I don't see how it would have U204 since it is not released to the public yet. I could be wrong, but why would they load U204 on refurbished equipment when it is still in beta for the HWS.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk 2

I believe that U204 has been released to some customers. In any case, I will be terminating my Dish service in a few days as soon as I decide between DirecTV and Comcast. Here's what happened.....

The tech arrived and he was very nice and very knowledgeable. He told me from the start that he was keenly aware of the multiple recording fiasco that I was dealing with. It turns out that the Super Joey is NOT compatible with a Hopper that has the CUI installed. And apparently Dish cannot figure out how to resolve the problem. He said that, as field technicians/installers, they are aware of many issues before it becomes generally known, including the customer service reps, etc. It may be a few weeks before this issue is well known among them all.

So he arrived knowing that another HWS would not solve the multiple fake timer recordings. So he came equipped with the HWS that was ordered by the phone guy last night. He also came with a Hopper 3 and also another HWS. He was prepared to install any of these three options. The Hopper 3, of course, would have solved the problem along with a standard Joey (instead of a Super Joey). There is no compatibility problem with the standard Joey.

The problem was customer service. The installer explained that this was going to be my 5th Hopper in the past 15 months, etc., but customer service refused to give me much of a deal. He tried to arrange for free installation of the H3, with no 2 year agreement because of the circumstances surrounding my situation. The best CS would do was to bill me only half of the $150 installation fee and I'd also have to agree to a new 2 year agreement.

The only other option was installing a secondary Hopper to replace the SJ and work along with my current Hopper. But they insisted I'd have to pay an extra $5 a month for it. I told them that I was not going to pay anything extra every month as a result of their technological incompetence. I'm on a fixed income, have been having horrible experiences for months with all these Hoppers -- and they want ME to pay extra to get things working properly again??? I think not.

So I advised that I will reluctantly be switching either to the Geni or Xfinity as my only options. The installer felt bad that I was treated this way and said he's seen them give $300 waivers in the past and that they were losing a customer over a mere $5 a month. One of the reps I first spoke with had spoken about the $5 waiver for 10 months and I asked if they could make it for 12 months. She put me on hold and I was then connected to a higher level rep who consulted with his supervisor -- and they would not even allow the $5 waiver for the original 10 months.

So, it almost goes without saying that I am saddened, surprised and very disgusted with Dish Network's customer service, especially with all the turmoil I've been through with their equipment. But I clearly cannot continue watching this HWS change channels in front of my eyes as yet another unplanned timer activates and begins recording against my wishes. And I'm sure as hell not going to pay them more every month just to get the service that I'm already paying for.

So, in a nutshell, I'll sit & relax over the weekend and then start contacting Dish's competitors next week and replace them as my TV service. My Mother, at my urging, has been with Dish since 2003. I have a feeling that she'll end up following wherever I go. LOL

In any case, there DEFINITELY IS a known compatibility issue that causes these unwanted recordings. And Dish isn't yet sure what to do about it.

Thanks again to everyone for their help & comments.

Sad to be leaving, but I don't see much choice in the matter.

I've heard that techs can pre-install software to save time. All the more reason to pre-install the Carbon software on a receiver that they know is being used with a 4k Joey, for instance. That install would involve downloading (using current versions in this example) S529 and then having to download U204. That's close to 60 minutes just for software in what's otherwise just a receiver swap.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Sadly, as the installation tech told me, the SJ is not compatible with a HWS equipped with the new interface. And that's why he was upfront with me. Even if he had installed the new HWS with the CUI, I would have been calling CS once again as soon as the invalid recordings started up again.

Man, what a rotten day this has been. LOL

I wish there was a DIRT team member who might be able to get all this waived for me so I didn't have to leave. The installer did mention that I could call DISH and get connected to the Office of the President and that I'd probably end up talking with some upper tier rep that might have the authority to waive these fees for me. But I told him I've spent too many hours on the phone with DISH over the past month or so and I'm just getting weary of all the hassle.

Sadly, as the installation tech told me, the SJ is not compatible with a HWS equipped with the new interface. And that's why he was upfront with me. Even if he had installed the new HWS with the CUI, I would have been calling CS once again as soon as the invalid recordings started up again.

I wish there was a DIRT team member who might be able to get all this waived for me so I didn't have to leave. The installer did mention that I could call DISH and get connected to the Office of the President and that I'd probably end up talking with some upper tier rep that might have the authority to waive these fees for me. But I told him I've spent too many hours on the phone with DISH over the past month or so and I'm just getting weary of all the hassle.
Why not try two HWSs & get rid of the SJ?

That was the alternative I mentioned that the tech had suggested. But DISH was insistent on charging me an additional $5 per month for this and I don't think I should have to pay anything extra just to get their technical problem solved.

Not sure if this is a known issue, but today my HWS running 204 recorded the wrong program. I have "general hospital" scheduled to record at 2pm, but today it recorded "The Munsters" in general hospitals place. I know that general hospital was on today. Is this a common issue? What can I do to prevent this from happening again?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

That is NOT TRUE. I have a HWS and a SJ on the new firmware and they work just like they're supposed to. I don't know what's going on with your account or location but it is not a compatibility problem between the HWS and SJ.

Maybe he has a defective Super Joey. Everyone has said that the Super Joey should have no effect but they have replaced his HWS twice but never touched his super Joey. Or could the wired installation cause the problem? Are the timers all stored in the hopper or does timers for the additional tuners get stored in the Super Joey? I have 2 HWS and I know that they will use a tuner in the other unit if there is not enough tuners available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)