HWS 204 Bugs

All the timers are stored in the Hopper and the remotes. The SJ doesn't do any thinking at all. :)

My SJ is completely unusuable now. It had been working fine with my HWS with the CUI, but today all of a sudden it can't connect anymore. I have reset/unplugged the HWS and SJ in several different sequences with no luck. At this time I just wish I could go back to the old software. Any thoughts or suggestions.

That is NOT TRUE. I have a HWS and a SJ on the new firmware and they work just like they're supposed to. I don't know what's going on with your account or location but it is not a compatibility problem between the HWS and SJ.

Please forgive me if I take the technician's word over yours. Since he deals directly with their installations -- and is in a position to know -- I suspect that he knows a lot more about than either of us.
I also don't recall him saying that this happens in EVERY case, but it does in many cases. And, in those cases, there is no current resolution.

In fact, if you've been reading, we've already had references to a couple other identical problems in this thread.

Maybe he has a defective Super Joey. Everyone has said that the Super Joey should have no effect but they have replaced his HWS twice but never touched his super Joey. Or could the wired installation cause the problem? Are the timers all stored in the hopper or does timers for the additional tuners get stored in the Super Joey? I have 2 HWS and I know that they will use a tuner in the other unit if there is not enough tuners available.

Strangely, they refused last week to issue me another SJ that has the original interface to match the S529 on my latest replacement HWS. It made sense to me that swapping for such a SJ would have resolved the problem & I'd have been happy to stay with the old interface. But the Dish tech told me that is against their policy. Hard to figure them out.

My SJ is completely unusuable now. It had been working fine with my HWS with the CUI, but today all of a sudden it can't connect anymore. I have reset/unplugged the HWS and SJ in several different sequences with no luck. At this time I just wish I could go back to the old software. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Sounds similar to what I was dealing with. You might be one of the unlucky ones (as with me) to have an SJ that is not compatible with the CUI. When my SJ had the Carbon platform -- and my replacement HWS came with S529, the SJ would neither record or show the program guide. When the HWS was upgraded to C204, the SJ began functioning -- but then the HWS began its wild, multiple phantom timer recording.

Dish would not resolve the problem without expecting me to pay $5 more each month and I told them that was ridiculous and unacceptable. I hope you have better luck than I did, both with the equipment and with customer service.

Please forgive me if I take the technician's word over yours. Since he deals directly with their installations -- and is in a position to know -- I suspect that he knows a lot more about than either of us.
I also don't recall him saying that this happens in EVERY case, but it does in many cases. And, in those cases, there is no current resolution.

In fact, if you've been reading, we've already had references to a couple other identical problems in this thread.

I also deal directly with installations and have for a very long time. You can listen to whomever you want to but a lot of DISH techs and subcontractors are noted for making things up, just like some of their CSR's. They usually tell you whatever they think you want to hear. Did he try to sell you screen cleaner or maybe a surge suppressor while he was there. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hall
Goodbye if you decide to leave. You would be better off if you had just insisted on a Hopper3. In spite of some problems a very few have had, it is a remarkable and stable receiver for most of us. The software is not beta or a "test" mode.

All of us have different setups. Many have more than one Hopper, some have Hoppers with varying amount of Joeys and even different types of Joeys. Some of us have AV receivers (and many different brands) between the tv and the Hopper. And that does not include the myriad of cabling available. Any one of these options can cause problems with the software that may affect some and not others.

Well, apparently all I had to do was post on here. After that, it started functioning correctly. Here's hoping I don't have any other problems.

Sounds similar to what I was dealing with. You might be one of the unlucky ones (as with me) to have an SJ that is not compatible with the CUI. When my SJ had the Carbon platform -- and my replacement HWS came with S529, the SJ would neither record or show the program guide. When the HWS was upgraded to C204, the SJ began functioning -- but then the HWS began its wild, multiple phantom timer recording.

Dish would not resolve the problem without expecting me to pay $5 more each month and I told them that was ridiculous and unacceptable. I hope you have better luck than I did, both with the equipment and with customer service.
I also deal directly with installations and have for a very long time. You can listen to whomever you want to but a lot of DISH techs and subcontractors are noted for making things up, just like some of their CSR's. They usually tell you whatever they think you want to hear. Did he try to sell you screen cleaner or maybe a surge suppressor while he was there. :)

Nope, nothing like the cap YOU are trying to sell me.

If you meant crap instead of cap then that's your loss because I'm donating my time and not trying to sell you anything. Too bad you don't realize when people are trying to help and when they're telling you what you want to hear. You can be sure I won't waste my time on you again. Good luck with YOUR crap and YOUR problem. Good bye and good luck with your future drama with whatever provider that will put up with you.

Reactions: Hall
If you meant crap instead of cap then that's your loss because I'm donating my time and not trying to sell you anything. Too bad you don't realize when people are trying to help and when they're telling you what you want to hear. You can be sure I won't waste my time on you again. Good luck with YOUR crap and YOUR problem. Good bye and good luck with your future drama with whatever provider that will put up with you.

The tech was very polite, upfront and honest. He offered me real solutions and did not treat me with snotty sarcasm as you just did. You are a poor representative of your employer when you behave like that.

The tech was very polite, upfront and honest. He offered me real solutions and did not treat me with snotty sarcasm as you just did. You are a poor representative of your employer when you behave like that.

You're the one who started the the bad attitude, snotty sarcasm and your 'crap'.

Remember this from 2 posts ago:

I am the employer here and have been for a long, long time. We have thousands of very happy customers. I don't care if you take my free help or not but I can assure you that you won't be getting any more. There are some customers that a company is much better off without. Please go with the cable company. They'll love you.

You're the one who started the the bad attitude, snotty sarcasm and your 'crap'.

Remember this from 2 posts ago:

I am the employer here and have been for a long, long time. We have thousands of very happy customers. I don't care if you take my free help or not but I can assure you that you won't be getting any more. There are some customers that a company is much better off without. Please go with the cable company. They'll love you.

My reply was to the sarcasm YOU started by saying my installer was lying to me and essentially asking me if I purchased any snake oil from him. The conversation was friendly until you said that to me. Totally uncalled for.

You seem to be dealing with unrelated issues that you are allowing to bleed into this one. If this provides you with any therapeutic value, I am very pleased for you.

In the meantime, more decent Dish reps have resolved the issue by offering me a free Hopper3 installation

Thank Heaven that all Dish reps are not like you. :)

My reply was to the sarcasm YOU started by saying my installer was lying to me and essentially asking me if I purchased any snake oil from him. The conversation was friendly until you said that to me. Totally uncalled for.

You seem to be dealing with unrelated issues that you are allowing to bleed into this one. If this provides you with any therapeutic value, I am very pleased for you.

In the meantime, more decent Dish reps have resolved the issue by offering me a free Hopper3 installation

Thank Heaven that all Dish reps are not like you. :)

I AM NOT a DISH rep. Never have been and never said I was.

That's what DISH techs do. They tell you what you want to hear and then they try to sell you what they call SHS which are screen cleaner, surge suppressors, HDMI wires, etc., etc. Sorry that you can't handle the truth. You must have a problem with it and it's probably therapeutic to continue to live in your own little fantasy world. Enjoy yourself and please leave me alone.

You still "seem" to represent Dish, although in a very poor fashion.

YOU started this unfriendly conversation out of the clear blue sky. Why?

So why don't you just leave ME alone and mind your own business.

P.S. I'm on my desktop now and was on my smartphone away from home before. I just noticed that you had a smile behind your original comment about the installer trying to sell screen cleaner, etc. So maybe you were just trying to be helpful and not sarcastic?

If so, that is good and I accept the helpful comment.

P.S. I'm on my desktop now and was on my smartphone away from home before. I just noticed that you had a smile behind your original comment about the installer trying to sell screen cleaner, etc. So maybe you were just trying to be helpful and not sarcastic?

If so, that is good and I accept the helpful comment.

Of course I was trying to be helpful and not sarcastic. We've seen some DISH techs here post the most ridiculous things. Nobody here or anywhere for that matter puts much faith in what they're told by DISH techs or CSR's. It's hit or miss whether what you're told will be accurate or just made up because it's what you want to hear or is what will get you off the phone. That's why most folks here use DIRT. The DIRT folks usually know what they're talking about.

Getting past all that drama and nonsense to get to the point;

I thought I read where you posted earlier that these unprovoked recordings were being made even after you unhooked the SJ. That right there disproves what the DISH tech told you. I've had a lot of experience firsthand with SJ's on the old and new UI's and have never heard of nor can I conceive a way that the SJ is responsible for the behavior you describe. That's all I was trying to tell you.

You still "seem" to represent Dish, although in a very poor fashion.

YOU started this unfriendly conversation out of the clear blue sky. Why?

So why don't you just leave ME alone and mind your own business.

I just represent myself. I have a lot of experience and connections with DISH but that's it. I'm not here to sell anything or sign anybody up or promote any agenda. I'm just like many others here who donate our time to try and help. That said, if someone gives me crap I will give it right back, in multiples and relentlessly. :)

Reactions: pattykay
I just represent myself. I have a lot of experience and connections with DISH but that's it. I'm not here to sell anything or sign anybody up or promote any agenda. I'm just like many others here who donate our time to try and help. That said, if someone gives me crap I will give it right back, in multiples and relentlessly. :)

We think alike. LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)