HWS, Dish anywhere. and GoGo inflight internet

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rickcee

Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
Atlanta
Has anyone tried to use Dish anywhere with GoGo inflight internet? I will be flying from Atlanta to Houolulu next month just wondering if it's worth the 17.95 for gogo internet on the 9 hr flight.

Keep in mind that you will only have coverage over the continental US, nothing over the Pacific at all. So, only half of that flight will have GoGo available.....

And it should be $14 unless you are changing airlines. Slingbox does work, I don't know about Dish anywhere. The Southwest system has TV channels built in btw.

And it should be $14 unless you are changing airlines. Slingbox does work, I don't know about Dish anywhere. The Southwest system has TV channels built in btw.

I've found Southwest's service to be highly variable in terms of available bandwidth. Couldn't stream NHL Gamecenter worth a darn on a few flights along with very slow Internet service overall. Other flights it was OK. Great for email and basic surfing. For $5 per trip it hits my price point for purchase (many other people too!), hence the bandwidth problem.

I've had similar experience using GoGo but that experience is much more limited.

My guess is that your experience will be awful with lots of buffeering/freezes due to limited bandwith. Like mentioned above best bet for this is transfer to Ipad.

Keep in mind that you will only have coverage over the continental US, nothing over the Pacific at all. So, only half of that flight will have GoGo available.....
To be completely accurate, GOGO works above 10,000 feet and within 100 miles of the Continental US. This summer, Delta is expanding inflight internet access to international flights. They are also upgrading the domestic system to allow more users per flight without significant slow-downs...

Essentially they point antennas up from cell towers on the ground to cover the planes. They are going to use satellite for over the ocean flights (so expect a lot of lag and a slow down when not over land).

The issue is the current GoGo systems are using conventional 3G internet connections. They are a victim of their own success. Way too many travelers use GoGo per flight now. They are currently upgrading to 4G, and that will help quite a bit.

The international system will use leased satellite space and I think they will eventually launch their own bird. I would expect latency to be worse on the sat, but overall bandwidth to be much better. No idea on pricing, as of late it appears GoGo has been using revenue management software and has variable pricing based on route/time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts