HWS failed after six months ?

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
Our Hopper with Sling started acting up today. It shows no channel logos and only has guide data for 1-1/2 to 2 hours in advance. All DVR functions seem to work fine though.... Check Switch and System Status report nothing wrong.

On the network setup, only MOCA is selected. The "Wireless" button(s) are grayed out and "Router not detected". The router is working fine though (I'm using it to connect to type this). Doing a network reset seems to hang up the receiver or at least does nothing - I eventually hit the Cancel button and get out of that menu. If I connect an ethernet cable to either the top or bottom connection, it takes a reboot to get it recognized.... Even after that, it still has no network connectivity.

As I was typing this, I was also chatting with a Dish rep. I have rebooted multiple times yet was asked to reboot for them, which I did, and nothing was any different. When they asked me to do a check switch, I said I'd already done that 2-3 times and politely said, "No, sorry, I won't. I'm done for the evening." I understand they have to follow a script but come on.... They then responded, "we'll replace your receiver".

Is it safe to say this receiver is dying ? I've had/seen plenty of HDD issues with receivers over time and in this case, it doesn't appear to be the case. The network issue alone pretty much deems a replacement is needed anyway, I think. The downside is, it's Friday/Saturday and nothing will get shipped until Monday at the earliest and then it's 2-3 days after that before a replacement shows up... :(

I forgot to mention that the Joey was unable to link to the Hopper for a few hours yesterday.

This morning, all is well though. Channel logos in the guide, program data looks pretty well populated, the Joey is linked, network is working, etc. I'm almost tempted to cancel the replacement but I figure this was a sign of impending failure as you mention too.

Rec'd the replacement Hopper today. I've never used an external HDD before now and am transferring recordings now. I transferred since this morning and when I got home, it appears not everything transferred. I'm doing more again and have two questions.

1) What happens if you transfer something that's already on the HDD?
2) Where can you see the status of transfers? << Nevermind - found it

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

My first one lasted about a month. Was not a happy camper, but made it through the swap with minimal issues. Been a Dish customer for a long time and had very little problems with the equipment.

Just remember, those in the PTAT folder will not transfer until the amount of "save" days passes. If you have it maxed at 8 days, then you have to wait til day 9 to transfer

I noticed the sticker on the box clearly indicates that the receiver is remanufactured or refurbished now. They used to say that years ago but stopped doing it, I thought. That's when people figured out if it's shrink-wrapped, it's a refurb. I knew I would get a refurbished unit, of course.

I will say this is the first refurbished receiver I've gotten from Dish that you could tell it was used. It has very minor scratches and a very small ding on the top. Doesn't bother me though... I always thought that Dish must replace the outer covers as part of the process.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

All seemed fine until I restored settings from the remote. That forced a reboot and now channel logos are missing from the guide again.... They WERE there after I went thru the initial setup.

MattG@ DISH NETWORK : I see you're online. Any ideas ?

Last edited:
How do you have the Hopper connected to the internet? Do you use a HIC or anything? Is it possible to test a hard connection? Do you have more than 1 Hopper?
Wireless
No
Yes
No

You have me curious - how does the internet connection impact the guide data ? When the Hopper I replaced first acted up, it lost the channel logos and then I found that the network connection was lost (and very flaky after that).

Plugging in a hard wire now.... I presume it may take a while ?

FWIW, I get the logo for (1) channel only (my local CW affiliate). It is replicated to the OTA channel as well.

Last edited:
The internet has nothing to do with guide data as this is pulled via satellite. There were reports in the past abput logos missing but this has since been resolved. Is the channel logos not showing the main issue now or is it IP connection?

Just the missing channel logos. Network connection is okay. It's still connected by ethernet for now too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts