HWS to H3 transition problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sabre170

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
Dallas, TX
Ok,

I've read a few threads with people who have had similar issues, but I have yet to really find an answer.

Just got my H3 installed today. I still have my HSL.

I am not having any luck restoring my timers via the 40 remote to the H3, AND I am having no luck transferring my recordings via the ethernet cable.

When I try to restore my timers, I'l get successful green progress bars, but when all done, no timers in my DVR menu. I've done this numerous times over the past 6 hours all with no luck.

When I try to use the prompted dialog in the H3 to transfer my recordings, I connect the CAT-5 cable in the 2 minute window as instructed and it then eventually goes to the next window saying it is transferring recordings. It says it will take 0 days and is transferring recording 0 of 0. The progress bar stays 100% black.

I'll keep on trying. I'm not too worried about the recordings. I can always just do the external HDD transfer, but as for the timers.......I REALLY would like this to work. With a few years worth of timers.....it would not be the easiest to re-make at all.

Please, if anyone has ANY tips for me, I would love to hear it!!!

Thanks

Ok,

I've read a few threads with people who have had similar issues, but I have yet to really find an answer.

I am not having any luck restoring my timers via the 40 remote to the H3, AND I am having no luck transferring my recordings via the ethernet cable.

When I try to restore my timers, I'l get successful green progress bars, but when all done, no timers in my DVR menu. I've done this numerous times over the past 6 hours all with no luck.

When I try to use the prompted dialog in the H3 to transfer my recordings, I connect the CAT-5 cable in the 2 minute window as instructed and it then eventually goes to the next window saying it is transferring recordings. It says it will take 0 days and is transferring recording 0 of 0. The progress bar stays 100% black.

I'll keep on trying. I'm not too worried about the recordings. I can always just do the external HDD transfer, but as for the timers.......I REALLY would like this to work. With a few years worth of timers.....it would not be the easiest to re-make at all.

Thanks

Try again tomorrow. New Hoppers don't quite work perfectly for the first day or two. Shut it and all the Joeys off overnight tonight so it can download and update and it should be working a lot better in the morning. Good luck.

Reactions: Bobby and bmetelsky
Ok....Thanks! I'll not mess with it for a while in that case. I'll give it a shot this afternoon after the 24hr mark.

With that said, do I need to go back to the HWS after every failed attempt to restore the H3 to re-backup the 40 remote, or does the backup data stay on the 40 remote despite the failed restore?

Ok....Thanks! I'll not mess with it for a while in that case. I'll give it a shot this afternoon after the 24hr mark.

With that said, do I need to go back to the HWS after every failed attempt to restore the H3 to re-backup the 40 remote, or does the backup data stay on the 40 remote despite the failed restore?

It stays in the remote. The data is just copied to the new receiver when successful.

I'm pretty sure the direct connect method, besides losing a race against molasses, requires the old Hopper (actually, both, but the H3 only comes this way) to have the "new" CUI.

Reactions: DWS44
Ok,

Thanks
I have had success with updating timers and configuration settings from an older model Hopper, but it often takes relinking the remote to the old hopper and running a new backup, then back to the H3 and doing a restore to Hopper.

I have tried to do the restore multiple times without first going back to the original Hopper and doing a fresh backup and those have failed so I believe it's the backup process that's faulty. It actually could be both directions that have problems.

Keep trying. It will eventually succeed.

As far as ethernet DVR transfers, the old receiver must have the new user interface. Many here have reported it being much slower than using an external drive. Plus you can leave the content on the external and play it from there unless you want access from DishAnywhere.

Ok, thanks everyone for the input. It has been 2 nights, but not quite 48 hours. Still no luck.

CAT-5 Transfer....noted. I'll just give up trying there and stick with the external HDD.

Timers: I just tried again. It went through the "Your settings are being restored......" It did 2 complete progress bars there. When complete, the DVR didn't restart, but did show signs of it processing data. However, no timers present when when the "processing" was done. I tried it again, and this time the progress bar seemed to time out on the second cycle and just went to live TV. I tried a third time and got error code 1249: "Unable to restore previous receiver's settings"

I'm going to go back to the old DVR and try doing another backup there. I'll just keep going back and forth between the two and keep on trying.

On a different note, It seems like I need to have the old hopper connected to my internet and/or coax cable attached in order to have the timers show up. If I don't have my internet cat-5 connected and no coax connected, no timers show up on the old hopper. This didn't seem like it should be the case. Is there maybe something up with my old hopper???? FWIW, the old hopper did crash about 2 weeks ago. All recordings and timers were dumped. No DVR capabilities at all. The system diagnostic show the internal HDD as red. But magically the other day, EVERYTHING came back to life and normal. NOT a single recording or timer lost. The internal HDD just came back to life.

Ok, it has been 72+ hours and still no luck.

Just to make sure, here are the steps I'm doing. Can someone please double check me that I'm doing this properly.

Connect HWS completely up. Coax, HDMI, CAT-5, and then Power. Link the 40 remote to it. Let the whole system boot up and find satellites, yada yada. Once all is good, hold down the "0" button and do the backup that way (which also backs up the receiver). Once that is complete, I pull the power plug on the HWS.

From there, I transfer the HDMI, CAT-5, and Coax to the H3, and then plug that in. Once booted, I have to re-go through the process of linking the remote.....Unlink, and then re-link....it never remembers the remote after being linked to the HWS. Once linked, and booted up, I go to the Diagnostics>Tools>Restore Setting. And then do restore receiver. It does the double progress bar, screen goes black for a second, and then it says "Please Wait, Refresh in Progress" in the bottom right corner. Then back to live TV.

I then go to DVR>Timers, and none are present.

Can anyone confirm that this is in fact the correct procedures? After 3 days of this, I'm about to give up on it.

You missed one step. After pairing to the HWS and doing the backup you need to unpair that remote from the HWS. After doing that and reconnecting the H3, pair that remote to the H3. After it is paired, ensure that you can actually use that remote by changing a channel with it. Now, Restore Settings. If you have a 50 or 52 remote paired to that H3 temporarily unpair it before you restore settings.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Oh....interesting. I didn't think that unpairing would have mattered in the middle....but I'll def give that a shot.

I haven't even touched my H3 remote yet. Batteries aren't even in it and never paired.

Could it be worth a shot to try to pair it to the HWS and try backing up to the "newer" style remote?

I just tried the whole process again with the additional unpairing step mentioned above. When through the restore process on the H3. It seemed to get stuck on the second progress bar just shy of complete. It seemed like maybe it timed out and then it just went to live tv.

Checked the DVR menu....no timers.

Tried to restore again, and now it is giving me the Error 1249 "Unable to restore previous reciever's settings".

So, one more question. Should the timers show up immediately after the restore, or does the whole DVR need to be unplugged and rebooted? Does it take some time to process?

-------Edit: I just spoke with the Dish Advanced Tech Support. They said that after going through the restore process on the H3, I should get "Attention 1001: For config changes to take effect the receiver will now restart.". I never get this. The closest I get is a mesage saying refresh is in progress....but never a full restart of the hopper itself.

So, question #2 in addition to the question above.....is this "attention 1001" message and full restart an accurate statement made by the Dish Tech Support? If so, it is clear that my H3 is not actually getting the backup data.

Last edited:
SUCCESS!!!!!

Before I get to what I did to have success, I'll answer my two questions above for future reference.

First off: Once successful, timers show up immediatly
Second: Message 1001 and full system restart did NOT happen for me when successful. I got short message saying Restore in Progress with a black screen, and then live TV.

Ok, here is the solution I had. It took a 2hr phone call with Dish Advanced Tech Support.

So, first off, we did a "Partial Reset" on the H3. Neither myself nor the Tech thought this step was necessary, however, we did it anyways.

After the partial reset was complete on the H3, we went back to my HWS. This seemed to be the problem. My HWS was on the OLD UI. Aparently even when doing timer transfers via remote, both hoppers need to have the same UI. Soooooo......we had to update my old hopper to the new UI. To do that:

Menu>Settings>Diagnostic>Updates. Once there, Press the Play Button TWICE, and then Recall (All still using the 40 remote). Then the new menu should have the option to "Download Now". Select this. It will take about 25 mins to do it all. Once done, the HWS menu will look just like the menu interface on the H3.

From there, we did a fresh backup to the remote on the OLD HOPPER (HWS). (Menu>Menu>Tools>Backup Settings). Once complete, unplugged turned the H3 back on.

Once the remote was re-paired with the H3, Tools>Restore Settings>Restore to Reciever.

Note, that it still took 2 tries as outlined above to get this to work. First try failed. I had to go back to the HWS, rebackup and try again.

SO......it was either the UI difference OR the Partial Reset that fixed my issues. But bottom line, I am all good now!!!!

I just did a remote backup to my 52 remote. I followed that by doing a restore from that remote. After the green dash went all the way from left to right, I saw a 'Refresh in Progress' and my picture in the top right corner. That got followed by a screen refresh and a full screen picture. I checked my timers and they are all there. I would say the Dish Tech Support was confused about what you are trying to do. There is no configuration change happening in this process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts