HWS won't play transferred shows anymore, stuck on "Event Playback Finished"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Rukes

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
West Hollywood, CA
Note to Dish support: I already talked to stephenh@DISH about this via PM and he sent a report, so i'm just seeing if any other users have this problem.

I had a VIP922. Just got my new HWS installed yesterday and spent the rest of the day transferring over my shows. Upon completion, of course the icons weren't there yet as they usually take an update or two to fix, but all my recordings worked perfectly fine. Watched a bunch of shows, deleted some, and partially watched others. Went to bed before midnight, woke up a bit early and went to watch some more shows. However, every single program on my DVR now immediately goes to the "Event Playback Finished" menu. Can't rewind, it's stuck at the end. All the recordings have the correct guide data, file size as well as accurate time (on both the info and when the EPF menu pops up, the correct time is show on the progress bar).

What's wierd is the shows I did watch last night and delete, I can restore them and they still work fine. The shows I partially watched last night and then stopped, don't work anymore, just like the shows I didn't watch.

I tried transferring back to the EHD and back, and just playing them on the EHD, and it's still the same. Reset with the red button as well as unplugging the unit, still no fix.

My best guess is since the forced update is around midnight to 3AM, while I was sleeping it updated or changed SOMETHING that caused these programs to be unplayable. Note that the software was already updated to 315 after the tech came, so it wasn't that update.

Again, just to note, I can confirm my recordings played back perfectly on the EHD on both the VIP922 as well as the HWS while transferring all of them over (about 70+ shows). On top of that, shows already fully transferred to my HWS played just fine while the rest of the programs were being transferred. So no shows were corrupted during transfer.

Looking around it seems there is an issue with it, even with already recorded shows from the TV, and there are suggestions that an overnight update will fix it, to a new software version will fix it:
https://support.dish.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=682

Anyone have ideas on how to fix it, or is it just more of a "let it sit and it might fix itself" issue?

Yeah this is a known issue, restoring programs to Hopper has been known to do this, especially from the older model receivers. The recordings may be lost for good, unfortunately...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

And this why DRM shouldn't exist.

I thought that this problem was supposed to have been fixed, but it should have never existed in the first place.

And this why DRM shouldn't exist.

I thought that this problem was supposed to have been fixed, but it should have never existed in the first place.

Exactly. It's been about 6 years since this features was introduced and it still works far from perfectly, that's completely unacceptable. I can understand maybe back at the beginning when I had the 622 and tried to transfer to the 922 and had a similar issue, but considering how long they had to fix any bugs, going from a 922 to a Hopper is unacceptable. Maybe Dish Retention will be nice enough to refund the EHD fee since when I got it years ago, it hasn't worked at all.

It seems that as long as you don't restore recordings back to your receiver, but rather play back events directly from the EHD, the risk of recording corruption is drastically reduced.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Yes, but I didn't really want an EHD taking up space on my TV stand -- there's enough stuff there already. I was going to buy one to copy off my 622, then re-use it somewhere else after loading to the HWS. When somebody said that it was fixed a while ago, I was hoping that it was for real this time, but apparently not.

What's even more infuriating, if I'm not mistaken, is that you can't transfer one file and think that you're good to go. I could swear I've seen postings about some files working and others not :( :mad:

What the hell kind of software engineering is this?

Yeah I'm not sure who said this was fixed, there certainly was no announcement or anything. Just recently I transferred some files from one Hopper to another and they were corrupted. So it's definitely not fixed.

I have had some files work and others not, so I would only restore if I absolutely had to or didn't care enough about the recording should something happen to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)