Status
Please reply by conversation.

beware

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
St. Louis
I think I might be done with Directv! - YouTube

Had that issue once before many months ago but it fixed itself. Now after just a routine dish alignment session with a case management tech for something unrelated, that happens tonight.
I am calling Case Management tomorrow and the folks over on the directv forums are telling me it seems like a power interference and that I probably need a UPS. I understand that and I was bought to fork over the money for it but then directv’s customer care is telling me it sounds like a dvr hardware issue when this HR24-500 has been replaced once before.
I am telling my case manager to not waste the time of the technicians because they never find anything wrong, to either send out a brand new dvr or I am leaving directv. Will the new dvr fix the issue or should I also shell out the dough for the ups? Could a power interference do that (and I stopped the video early) it was pixelating a lot longer…. And the thing is I never know if its live tv bc I tape a lot of stuff and it appears on the recordings…

I doubt that has anything to do with power or the actual receiver, BUT have you checked with anyone local? Be it other users or the affiliate itself? It looks like a local issue to me. I saw you listed you were in STL and I asked a few of my friends there with DirecTV and they watched your video and have not experienced that issue with their systems.

So if they haven't experienced relevant issues it's something on my end and directv forums are telling me electrical interference but now I have more to worry about as I am now paranoid episodes like that could damage my tv

If that is your youtube video, then it looks like you have a playback problem. Now you didn't mention if this is intermittent or a constant problem. If its constant, it should be easy to resolve.

If this was a downlink issue, you would be experiencing pixelation with frame freezing. This just appears to be garbled playback. My first thoughts is a problem with the receiver, but you have not given any details on your system. If case management is suggesting a new receiver, thats the route I would go.

A few questions, does this happen with ALL recordings , or once in a while ?

Does this happen on LIVE programming as well.

If it happens on LIVE stuff, it looks like a Signal issue, what are your signal strengths ?

If it happens on Playback ONLY, it looks like a bad Hard Drive.

Why would you dump D* instead of isolating it and getting it fixed ?

Getting a bad box as a replacement IS possible, doesn't happen often, but could happen.

Jimbo said:
A few questions, does this happen with ALL recordings , or once in a while ?

Does this happen on LIVE programming as well.

If it happens on LIVE stuff, it looks like a Signal issue, what are your signal strengths ?

If it happens on Playback ONLY, it looks like a bad Hard Drive.

Why would you dump D* instead of isolating it and getting it fixed ?

Getting a bad box as a replacement IS possible, doesn't happen often, but could happen.

FWIW: I've seen D* do that with signal issues. It's weak but theres enough not to drop to "Searching.."

trinidex said:
FWIW: I've seen D* do that with signal issues. It's weak but theres enough not to drop to "Searching.."

If they're suggesting a box replacement do that before making a move to ditch.

Here's a thought: can you post your signal levels on all of the satellites when the picture is okay, and also when the issue is occurring?

I have had issues like this in the past and everything short of the actual dish was replaced. I ordered a ups online and I am having a replacement dvr sent out to me as well. Will keep you guys posted. I did find out that it was happening on 3 local hd channels live because a nother member of the household just told me.

i was in the same boat as you are at last year, have they sent supervisor to your house yet? i thing i learned with my mess directv can't help you over the phone, or coming into your house, they need to come to your house and check everything inside to outside, that the only way that they will believe you, believe me i been there

The codecs aren't doing their job correctly.

So explain the 100's of thousands of users with the same box, same firmware, same codec that don't have the same issue? Theory doesn't pass the basic standard.

Still could be hardware related, but is certainly isn't the codec being used.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts