I am fed up with 622 rebooting 3 times a day!

I've been following this 622 thread because I've had the same things with my 625 since the latest software upgrade. I get the screeching hiss, constant reboots. The only difference is that if I'm watching Live TV then the unit does not reboot. It only seems to occur when it's in "standby" mode or when watching recorded programming.

I guess I'll give CS a call just to log my problems as well. Here's to hoping the next software release can fix this.

If three machines have all done "the same thing", I'd be looking at the rest of your setup to include power, the wall outlet, your coax cabling, and also where you are putting your 622 and what the diagnostic counters are.

I have all power running through Monster Power HTS 1000 filter. Different components are also hooked up to same power filter and have never failed. Dish Network techs were out here and discovered the Dish 1000 was not grounded, but grounding did not help. The 622 is out in the open and has 2 inches clearance on sides and 6 inches in back. It sits on top of DVD/VCR player but that unit is not turned on. Top clearence is about 10 inches. I have 2 seperate cables from the dish(I think the number was RG6) left over from the 5000 and 721 era. What diagnostic counters should I be looking at? Thanks!

What do all your Hard drive counters read? There's about 13 of them.

Do you have a remanufactured sticker on the back? Which revision is your machine?

It really is strange that there are all these machines not working right and no evidence trail yet to pinpoint the culprit. I'm hoping we can gather enough data to figure it out ourselves. It makes no sense that you would get three in a row that are bad, unless they are all "remanufactured" and sent right back to you.

Humor me while you wait for Dish to send another machine, which is what I would make them do until I get one that works, and let's run through this thing until the problem is obvious.

My 622 reboots every 6 hours. I have it on all day tuned to a Sirius music channel, and go to TV in the evening. This is my third receiver, and they all did the same thing. 18 month commitment ends in September. I think I will be looking for other options at that time.:mad:

It won't re-boot like that unless it crashes

Menu > 6 > 3 > counters (page up, page down to navigate)
Lost Locks? (i have 16:10)
HDD Temp? (i have 122, 96, 105)

hdmi or component?
OTA antenna?

Here we go from the diagnostic screen:

Dst: 0X00
Hard drive info: 0x6003
HDD High temp: 132
Hdd Low temp: 113
HDD ave. temp: 118
reformat partition: 0x000
Fsck: 1: 04-25-07 2:06 AM
Transfer mode: 5
Fail FS count: 2
Fail unmount count: 0
HDD smart status: 255
HDD start status: 0x0000
HDD start fail count: 0
I do not see a reman. sticker on it.

dish1.jpg

dish2.jpg

dish3.jpg

dish4.jpg

dish5.jpg

here are the diagnostic screens. click to enlarge.

SMART STATUS should be zero - you have a bad hard drive.

He MAY have a bad drive. Actually 2 hits on smart status is not very significant. It would be nice to know what the 255 code meant. But the normal process is to run a more extensive test if you start getting some Smart codes. I believe that the drives used was Maxtor's and so they recommend running their POWERMAX. Trouble is there is now no way to run it on this drive.

Last edited:
Trouble is there is now way to run it on this drive.

Exactly, which means ship it back to Dish and let them do it since they do not provide a way to correct for possible "correctable" errors. The only good status for Dish DVR's is 0.

Until Dish builds drive analysis and repair into the receiver, he is still out of luck and the error code still indicates a bad drive - whether it is the electronics, the platters, or the data sectors.

For the right error code, one hit on SMART is catastrophic.

Any 622 that is constantly rebooting either has bad hardware or corrupted code. Either way, it needs to be replaced because the machine is bad.

I think this is roughly the 10th Anniversary of the first message in the Echostar Newsgroup saying:

Never put anything on top of a satellite receiver (and don't put them in a closed cabinet)!

Perhaps we need that in a banner above the ads...

I really had no choice but to put my 622 in a cabinet with a DVD player on top of it. To compensate I picked up a USB laptop cooler and put it between the DVR and DVD player with the fans facing the DVR. I just checked and the average HDD temp is 113.

I had that 622 constant rebooting problem when the installer put it in back in Mar, then it calmed down.. they (as usual) didn't have another one in the truck. So they being obviously confused by it , even suggesting that using a power strip could cause it ( yeah, right) and just talked their way out the door, and left. After a couple days, I realized this was a solid bug, even when plugged directly into wall outlet .. so I got on the phone with tech support and convinced them rather easily to send me a new one. The software was never mentioned and I don't remember what level it was. That took care of the problem .. except the replacement unit had severe HD pixelation. and I am on my third unit right now.

Your HDD SMART Status should be 0. Looks like you have a bad hard drive. This is what is causing all your problems. ...
Thanks again. Dish is sending a replacement :)

BTW Dish has no mechanisim to transfer programs from the old 622 to the replacement. So we will have <10 days to watch everything on our current 622's hard drive. For people who almost never watch live TV, this a real PITA. We will need to activate both 622s so that we can record on one while we watch the stuff on the other one. The missing USB drive feature comes home to roost :(

Talon Dancer

Last edited:
Thanks Dish has no mechanisim to transfer programs from the old 622 to the replacement. So we will have <10 days to watch everything on our current 622's hard drive. For people who almost never watch live TV, this a real PITA.

When I upgraded from my 721 to a 942, my wife told me the 721 stayed until I made dvds of everything she had on it. :O

By the time I upgraded to the 622, I had a PocketDish but the HD shows still won't transfer over, so back to the dvd burner I went.

I started to save all the Planet Earth episodes on my 622 but then I decided that would be tempting fate and my 622 has been good so far even after all the updates! LOL

I'll just wait until the external disk option appears before I record those or I'll get them when they come out on a disk read by a blue laser.

Hooked up new 622 at noon and it ran perfect till I shut it off(11:00 PM). I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Could the fourth receiver do the trick???? Too bad I had to send back 40+ DVR events with old unit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)