I am interested in FTA ,so I have a few questions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tweakbl

Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
West Virginia
Howdy,I have a few questions about FTA TV.:clap
First the most important one is what "major" networks are available on FTA TV?
Is NBC,ABC,CBS,FOX etc available.Would I be able to watch the "regularly" scheduled programing?I am not talking about "local" stations or nothing,just be able to tune in to a station that is with some of the bigger networks.

I have looked at several of the GOLD sponsors "kits",I am interested in a motorized system with a 30" or so dish.As have Mountains here.

Would this be a good "starter" system???
GOsatellite.com - FTA Satellite System - Viewsat Ultra Motorized FTA Satellite System #2

The same system alot cheaper,but not a GOLD sponsor.Are they trustworthy?They seem to have proper certifications.
Motorized Viewsat Ultra Satellite System

Do any of you have any suggestions of what to buy?Where to buy?:hungry:
I would like to stretch my $$$ as far as I can.

Also would like to add I am a Hughesnet sufferer/subscriber,so I have one .74 dish in my front yard already.:)

According to Lyngsat, Galaxy 3C @ 95w offers WBTW, CBS-Florence and WSAV, NBC Savannah.
Plus FOX @ WMQF-Marquette

Welcome!

Read as much as you can before buying. If you have the space, consider an array. A lot of times useable dishes can be had for the asking, once the word gets out, they will almost rain upon you.

If you have some time and basic handyman skills this is a great hobby. I get over 70 English speaking stations from all over the US for an annual subscription price of $0.

Howdy,I have a few questions about FTA TV.:clap
First the most important one is what "major" networks are available on FTA TV?
Is NBC,ABC,CBS,FOX etc available.Would I be able to watch the "regularly" scheduled programing?I am not talking about "local" stations or nothing,just be able to tune in to a station that is with some of the bigger networks.

seeing your location I take it OTA is pretty non existant?

On KU there is the following Networks
ABC
FOX
MY
Univision
Telefutura
RTN (Retro TV Network)
PBS

All are Network affiliates so other than news & syndicated stuff they show the Network programming...They may not be from the Eastern/Central timezone (ABC is from Mountain) but hey its network programming

CW, CBS & NBC are not on KU 24/7..there are feeds that come and go. If you have the capability, get a 6 foot C-Band dish from Sadoun. 99W (Galaxy 16) has all 6 networks (CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, CW and My Network). I have a 6 footer fixed at G16 just for the nets

Thanks to all,I just want mainly Network programing,don't care about timezones.

Only 1 channel OTA and we have to have the antenna almost 1 mile back on top of the Hill.

Is it possible to have One dish do both C and KU bands,and if so,to one receiver?
Or is it better to have 2 dishes, to one receiver?

As I understand it C band requires a Big dish 6'ft Plus because the signal is "weaker",and Ku band can use small 18" dishes although big is better.

Sounds like G16 is the go to Satellite of choice.

I will probably put an add in my local Traders Guide for any Free Dish equipment,just to see whats to be had.I have checked all the Gold Sponsors and they have alot of cool stuff to be had.I will probably have to buy a receiver even if I do get alot of free equipment because not alot of people know about FTA TV.

Even if I get a used dish will I still have to purchase a LNB,the ones that come with Dish and DirectTV do not work with FTA do they?

Sorry for all the questions but I am very curious.:)

Hey Iceberg is that a pic of you in your avatar???Just wondering cause if it is, me and you look a bit alike.:)

Is it possible to have One dish do both C and KU bands,and if so,to one receiver?
Or is it better to have 2 dishes, to one receiver?

A Big Dish, with proper LNBs, can do both C and Ku to one receiver. If it's a mesh dish, the mesh just needs to be small enough - cross that bridge when it comes.

As I understand it C band requires a Big dish 6'ft Plus because the signal is "weaker",and Ku band can use small 18" dishes although big is better.

C Band is not "weaker", think of it as "bigger", so you need a bigger dish to catch it with.
Ku is kinda in 2 flavors, FTA(Linear) and Subscription(Circular). For Subscription service you can get with an 18" dish.
FTA requires a 30" Dish, bigger is better.

Even if I get a used dish will I still have to purchase a LNB,the ones that come with Dish and DirectTV do not work with FTA do they?

You can not use an LNB from most Dish / DirecTV for FTA. Dish / DirecTV use a "Circular" signal, while FTA uses a "Linear" signal. LNBs are also refered to as Circular and Linear. If you find a "Primestar" or "Hughesnet" dish, you should be all set for Ku FTA. If you find a BUD(big dish) you should be good for C Band, and May Be Ku. If you find something, take Pics and post for more info.

Best thing to do is keep your eyes open, if you see a Big Dish, stop by and ask or leave a note, you'd be surprised. Look at Craigslist.org too, search for C Band, Satellite, 4DTV.

Ok,thanks everyone.I just put an advert in my local Traders Guide,we'll see what that gets me:)Hoping for a Birdview;)
I think I will start with KU band and work up from there,as soon as the $$$ is available to buy what I need to get started.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts