I am Thinking about buying Amazon Fire TV,

w6pea

"Old Jarhead"
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 21, 2011
Mexifornia aka San Diego, Ca.
Okay, I have been away for awhile. I am thinking about buying Amazon Fire TV Box, Problem is my TV only has two HDMI plugs, and I am already using both plugs... I have a DVD Player and the AT&T U-Verse Box. So I need a splitter I found a splitter on Amazon. It's a Two slot splitter. I am told to put the Amazon Fire TV Box on one HDMI slot and to put both the At&T U-verse DVR/Cable Box and my BlueRay Player on the other HDMI plug. Any suggestions?

If it is a Fire TV Box I don't think it matters. If it is the Fire TV Stick that should be connected directly into the TV not through the splitter. Also make sure the splitter is two into one - two devices with one output not the other way. (One device to two outputs)

Another solution is to connect Uverse or the DVD player via component cables to the TV then no need for the splitter. (The Amazon box or stick must use HDMI)

I have one and I prefer Roku. I do not like the homepage and there are too many steps just to get to the apps. I have firestarter installed, which gives the homepage a simple app layout (similar to Roku), but it is not always stable.

The only thing nice about FireTV is kodi with all of the third party apps and sources. If you search, you can get just about anything for free, including live sporting events.

Overall, the UI is more extraneous (as the kids would say, "extra") than it needs to be.

SOWTECH ST-HDSP0001 1X2 HDMI Splitter for Full HD 1080P Support 3D (One Input To Two Outputs)
That is the one that I found

That is not the right kind of switch for what you are trying to do. You want one that has Two Input to One Output.

Here is the type you need (2 Input/1 Output):

Amazon product ASIN B0097K49VK
...or for just a little more, you could get a 3x1 (3 Input/1 Output) on a pigtail, and have an extra input if you wanted to add another device later on:

Amazon product ASIN B01CT8IOS0

Thanks I found one that has 2 input and 1 out put It's supposed to be Bi-Directional
HDMI Switch 4K, RedHoney 2x1 or 1x2 Ultra HD 4K HDMI Bi-Directional Switcher with HDCP Passthrough Support 3D 1080P Black

I waited too long now they will not have the Fire TV boxes in stock until 20May17

I prefer FireTV box not stick over the Roku, for sure if you want a decent guide for PSVUE don't even think of getting the Roku. I have 2 of them being used as paper weights.
Don't forget you can also connect with wifi if you use a router for internet.

It doesn't seem to me that they would be so popular that they couldn't make enough in one batch for some time to come.
The current FireTV box (second generation) is probably nearing end-of-life at 19 months old so I expect that they're not on a mission to fill the shelves with them. Speculation surrounding Gen 3 started last summer.

That is not the right kind of switch for what you are trying to do. You want one that has Two Input to One Output.

Here is the type you need (2 Input/1 Output):

Amazon product ASIN B0097K49VK
...or for just a little more, you could get a 3x1 (3 Input/1 Output) on a pigtail, and have an extra input if you wanted to add another device later on:

Amazon product ASIN B01CT8IOS0
I have the first splitter you linked in my daughters bedroom, and it works great with her fire tv stick and roku stick.

Although I could probably take the roku out as she rarely uses it and much prefers the Fire (as do I)

Reactions: DWS44
The current FireTV box (second generation) is probably nearing end-of-life at 19 months old so I expect that they're not on a mission to fill the shelves with them. Speculation surrounding Gen 3 started last summer.

They probably KNOW that I'm thinking about getting one for Ps Vue (I want the guide). So, they'll wait until the week after I finally break down and buy one, and THEN release the next generation box, lol.

Reactions: osu1991 and Ronnie-
If thinking about FireTv box there is a 2-3 week delay, its been like this since last December so get order in, you have time to cancel later. Currently it says In stock on May 25, 2017 but this will change any day to a later date.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)