I cancelled Direct TV today

MichaelC

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 22, 2004
MA
I told them I was leaving for more HD. They told me Voom channels are not HD, but enhanced channels. Direct TV only has "true HD". There new HD DVR will be out the end of this summer and they are going to have 150 HD channels. I said call me when it happens. I will say, I think Speed,Travel and Spike looked better on Direct TV.

Last edited:
Are there even 150 HD channels to offer? Their comments about Voom are hilarious. They're HD Lite, just like D*. I should know, I watch their downrezzed channels every day. I'm just waiting to see if D* responds with anything before I tell them to shove thier "truly" disappointing HD offerings.

Yes I guess if you wanted to count only the local channels state by state then sometime there could be 150 channels of HD. Well Dish does they samething they are offering now your Locals in HD. So if you do the math you figure 4 locals per state CBS,NBC,ABC,FOX. So I guess when Direct and Dish get all the locals in all 50 states in HD well that would be 200 channels of HD but again they are counting local channels in HD.Or when Direct or Dish get 30 States Local HD 4 Channels per state that would make it 120 Local HD Channels. Which is good to get your locals in HD I will be glad to get mine but the main diffrence is the other networks.. Right now Dish is by far the leader in HD and will be that way probally for good. Mainly due to VOOM which has some good content on it and yes it might be lite but its still some what HD. Plus Dish as just added some more networks in HD like HGTVHD and sometime FoodNetwork. Channels like this are other networks which seems Dish is more aggressive about getting more content. Direct problem is their uppper managment like the CEO so forth. Its seems like Direct is behind times on things to where Charles seems to stay more up to date on things.. Direct I dont think is in tune with their customers has much as Dish is.. Anyway thats just my 2 Cents..

Last edited:
mbetts said:
Are there even 150 HD channels to offer? Their comments about Voom are hilarious. They're HD Lite, just like D*. I should know, I watch their downrezzed channels every day. I'm just waiting to see if D* responds with anything before I tell them to shove thier "truly" disappointing HD offerings.

I got very tired of waiting for D* to get their HD act together and just switched to E*. So far I am very happy that I did. I don't think that'll change in the next 18 months. Doing so now also allowed me to sell my HD DirecTivo on eBay while people still want them.

Nazz, did you get the 622? If so, what has your experience been with it? There seems to be a lot of complaints here about bugs and mpeg4 issues.

There have been a lot of negative reports on the 622, however in the poll that I conducted last month on the 622, nearly 90% of the 622 owners indicated that they were either Very Satisfied or Satisfied with their 622s.

I have absolutely no problems with my 622 or 211 (had them both since they came out) I might be lucky, but they both work as advertised.

I agree with Tom - and I was one of the ones with a complaint/swap-out. In general you only hear the complaints. I was hoping to trigger another poll and/or also pose the question as to how many 622s have shipped vs. the return/complaint rate.

I have been on a campaign to relate that even tho' I had a defective unit, the situation was handled in a favorable, professional manner, and has left me with a cautiously optimistic outlook on the future with my 622.

I have spent many years in customer contact/service of one form or another. I have learned that altho' a defective unit (service, whatever) will cause the customer some initial distress, it's completely in how the situation is resolved that counts in the long run. I truly believe that every company deserves at least one chance to make it right. So far, E* has maintained my confidence...

mbetts said:
Nazz, did you get the 622? If so, what has your experience been with it? There seems to be a lot of complaints here about bugs and mpeg4 issues.

I did go from the HD DirecTivo to the 622. Yes I've had a few bugs and I also had complaints with the HD DirecTivo. I'm sure the people who get D*'s new HD DVR will also have issues. I think those things are just a part of the developing technology.

My overall experience with the 622 has been positive and if I had it to do again I'd happily make the switch. The bugs have been minor and hopefully will be fixed with software updates. The greater number of HD channels and the better than D* picture quality have resulted in my getting much more use of the 622 than I ever got from the DirecTivo.

Yada Yada Yada.
DircecTV has had the same tired response for years. When Voom DBS started I jumped shipped because they offered real HD and were dedicated to bringing more HD to the market ASAP.

The DirecTV retention had the same story wayyyyy back then. "You'll be sorry, soon hundreds of HD channels...." I guess they were counting LIL. I've watched the most HD avaivable over the last five years instead of those still waiting for Direct to come through.

patrickpiteo said:
Overall good experience with my 622 except for dead HDMI port it came with..

I was spared that one since my Mitsubishi WS65819 requires component for HD. I could have a dead HDMI right now on my 622 and wouldn't even know it until I upgrade my television.

I signed up about a week or two ago. I have a 1080p and 720p tvs with the dvr and non-dvr setup each with hdmi, no major issues so far.

The only minor ones I had were the installer put the dishes in the wrong spot after I told him they couldn't be visible from the front (I'm sure he was trilled to do them over again after I said that won't work).

Oh and I had to call them to setup my second remote for the 622 cause I couldn't find it in the instructions in the manual.

Beyond that I'm loving the dual view abilities, the new hd channels, as well as the tons of old hd channels. I'm glad to get stars back and thrilled to have national geographic and I'm oddly enjoying home and garden in high def. Did anyone else notice discovery is playing more home improvement stuff on hd now?

As a former Voomer I feel like I'm back home with some of the channels, plus I really like the beautiful women in the James Bond movie's. I missed being in the forum with all the action too. I'm glad I got the 622 for $199 and not $299 like I signed up helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)