I did it- I did it- I did it : )

Status
Please reply by conversation.

surfster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
buffalo ny
Just got my 6ft cband dish to work. Started ku last fall after a lot of disasters I was avble to get pbs cctv rtv tufftv and ses1 at 101 on a 30in dish in western ny. Bought 6ft in winter and there was blizard every time I tested it. Now im outside with it on a portable basket ball poll picking up 17c at 55-60. Time to go inside and test my new openbox... : )
ps thanks for all the help

congratulations! Always great to get a new dish tuned in. Cband has some good channels too, next you'll want a real pole-install and motor!

This is only your third post? You must've done a lot of reading on your own.
Congratulations on your success.

I've always had my eye on those portable basket ball poles, for possible use by a dish.
Never thought about putting a 6' on one, though.
We look forward to your pictures. :)

C w ladder.jpgC w base.jpg18 project.jpg30 in ku.jpg1st nite working.jpg
I did do a lot of reading on my own. I set satelliteguys as the start page on my phone. A friend of mine delivered a Sadoun dish so I knew they were legit and bought my 1st dish/ku.
I'm like the 1st kid on my block to test FTA so you guys are my only go to guys.
Thanks again : )​

Congratulations! Give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done. I just have one question. I don't see an actuator, or an arm, to hold the dish in position. How are you doing that?

Back C Dish.jpgI'm not sure if I put it together correctly it was like putting a bike together at 2 am xmas eve. I have it on the basketball poll testing out spots because of all the trees. I'm on 17c getting all the Nun shows and some great movies but I can't get the sound on CW http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/238731-how-use-editor-openbox-s9-hd.html ; I think I need to adjust the lnbf because there are some other channels I'm not getting.
Like everybody on this site's says tweek tweek tweek : )

Surfster,

Hi! You have done a great job so far! This whole hobby takes time to get it all right, but I believe that you now agree that it is a lot of fun! Even with a few exasperations here and there.

The TV signals that we can acquire are not always the best, but they are FREE... LOL! How can you argue with that? I think that I can speak for many here and say that the main advantage of FTA (C or Ku band) is the fun that we have in just doing it! Watching the "telly" is just our reward to tell us that what we did actually worked. :)

Sincerely, I am not much of a TV watcher or a couch potato (except in the dead of winter). But, I sincerely do enjoy playing with all these toys! It's just a LOT of fun and your learn a lot in the process. Some folks don't "GET IT". Well, that is because they don't understand "IT" entirely.

I think that a lot of people expect more from FTA then what is there, but they don't work hard enough to find the really good stuff. I think that they (especially many newbies) expect FTA to replace their subscription service. Everyone has to realize that this is not so, but at the same time, they must realize that there is some really great things "up there". The free stuff is really great! Seriously, if it's FREE, how much can you complain? Well, maybe not totally free, I undersand that, but it is fun to learn. You get the rewards along the way.

RADAR

Radar
It's a great hobby and I love it when I find things on my own like the sound issue was a simple audio seting on my remote (2nd setting out of 3) and I'm glad I found this site not only for all the info but for all the new friends with the same addiction/hobby.

Frank

Like surfster, I have been reading a good deal here and picking up ideas. I now have a multi-lnb dish picking up SES 1 at 101W, Gal 19 at 97W, and AMC 9 at 83W. On a separate smaller (Dish 500) dish I am picking up some PBS feeds at 125 W (the dish must be too small to pick up the others). Feeding them all through a 4x1 switch to a Coolsat 6000. Really wanted everything to go to WMC7 on my computer but having trouble getting my WorldDVB 2006 card to work with a couple of my lnb's and getting diseqc to work with DVBLink. So I have a few things to work out. Great fun however and I am really enjoying Tuff, RTV, Create, Ebru, History, Bio, Christian channels, etc. I would like to add and lnb for ABC at 97W but unsure about the whole 8x1 thing since I am already having trouble with DVBLink and 4x1. Anyway thanks for all the great information I have learned here.

Radar
It's a great hobby and I love it when I find things on my own like the sound issue was a simple audio seting on my remote (2nd setting out of 3) and I'm glad I found this site not only for all the info but for all the new friends with the same addiction/hobby.

Frank

Frank,

LOL! Yep, you hit the nail on the head! It is a great hobby but the people are even greater! It (this hobby) and the people keep me from going crazy during the winter months. I am sure that you understand this, being from Buffalo... What the heck else are you going to do with 6 feet of snow on the ground outside? Ha Ha! Yes, it is very nice to have some social contacts in the dead of winter and we all learn a great deal from eachother through our communications. We all think it is so much fun that we don't realize how much we are learning along the way, that's pretty awesome. What a great hobby this is! We are very happy that you found us and joined up!

RADAR

@GenBap, I really hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think a Coolsat 6000 will see ABC on that bird. It's an HD channel, BUT, and I state this with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek, get yourself an Openbox, there are several to choose from now, and they WILL see and give you HD content, plus a whole lot more channels that are DVB-S2.

Photto

@GenBap, I really hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think a Coolsat 6000 will see ABC on that bird. It's an HD channel, BUT, and I state this with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek, get yourself an Openbox, there are several to choose from now, and they WILL see and give you HD content, plus a whole lot more channels that are DVB-S2.

Photto

I mistyped the location of the dish I should have typed 89W. ABC News Now and ABC News One are listed as DVB-S on lyngsat unless I am missing something. At any rate I am still planning on using DVB-S2 with my World DVB PCIe card if I can get that all figured out. I appreciate the help Photto.

I just figured out this DISEqC switch thing. I went to antenna setup on my openbox; highlighted my 91C sat and changed DISEqC1.0 to port 1 and my 101Ku to port 2. Now I have Movies CW and Larry the Cable guy all on 1 box. Now it's time to play with the dual ln LNBs and set up the crappy box. Everyday something new : )

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)