I don't get the pricing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ryu

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
So I call for DVR service for my HD and they tell me $499 for a lease and ps. we have a new one comming out in 3-4 months, and I say oh please can I, will you kick me in the groin too.

So then I say what about a standard DVR which he replies it's $99.00 plus 14.95 for S/H with a 2 year commit, oh yeah it's for a lease.....

then I go to newegg.com and see a R15 for $97.24 shippped. I ask what is involded with getting one elsewhere and he says they have to send a new card @$20.00, figures...

So here is what my options are for standard DVR

DTV - 99.00 + 14.95 S/H + 2 year commitment + lease

or

NewEgg $97.24 + 20 activation + I own it.

Guess which one I went with

maybe he was just feeding me a line.... We'll see I'll update the post when I get it.

ps. the HD DVR shipped at newegg is 417.98

cheaper, but still more than I want to pay, I only want to record the Sopranos so my girlfriend can watch it when she comes to town. She doesn't need HD at that price.... :)

You know on 2nd thought, i bet he was refering to if I was adding the box and not replacing an existing....

vurbano said:
I dont think you need a new card with a new unit. I never have.
vurbano is correct, you can use an old card of yours as long as it is failrly new, unless of course they have changed that also. i have done it on 3 occasions. bought a new piece of equiptment and just had them unmarry (divorce i guess) one box and the remarry it (the card) to the new box

Ryu said:
maybe he was just feeding me a line.... We'll see I'll update the post when I get it.

ps. the HD DVR shipped at newegg is 417.98

cheaper, but still more than I want to pay, I only want to record the Sopranos so my girlfriend can watch it when she comes to town. She doesn't need HD at that price.... :)

You know on 2nd thought, i bet he was refering to if I was adding the box and not replacing an existing....
If its a new unit it will come with a new card.

vurbano said:
I dont think you need a new card with a new unit. I never have.

vurbano.

FYI, all H-10, H-20, and R-15 need a card that starts with 001700000001 or HIGHER. or it will not activate.

put that in your hate directv file.

I'm replacing an H10, so I'm thinking I'll be fine.

dragon002 said:
vurbano.

FYI, all H-10, H-20, and R-15 need a card that starts with 001700000001 or HIGHER. or it will not activate.

put that in your hate directv file.

Dragon,

FYI, new recievers come with new cards.:rolleyes:

Ryu said:
or

NewEgg $97.24 + 20 activation + I own it.

Guess which one I went with

I may be wrong, but I think you will be leasing that unit you got from NewEgg.

pounce said:
I may be wrong, but I think you will be leasing that unit you got from NewEgg.

So NewEgg is going to call me up and ask me to send it back when I cancel?

I haven signed an agreement, so it can't be a lease.

Ryu said:
So NewEgg is going to call me up and ask me to send it back when I cancel?

I haven signed an agreement, so it can't be a lease.

No, I believe Newegg is acting simply as a reseller of the lease like CC or BB etc. Let us know what happens when you go to activate. Directv would likley want you to send it to them if you cancelled.

I can't fricken believe it.... You guys were dead on!

"by activating a premier device like a DVR or an HD box you are automatically renewed for 2 year deal"

You have got to be kidding me. What a bunch of crap. How can they lease something that they didn't sell me?

How can they commit you to something that you never agreed to?

I said " what if i bought it at a garage sale or eBay?" they responded with the same rhetoric.

I told them I was canceling my service!

Last edited:
dragon002 said:
bye, bye!

Why do you taunt all of these past loyal cusomers of many years? Is this the result of D* indoctrination? Do you not have any feelings?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have to say I don't understand this attitude either. I've been with D* since '94 and I'm very close to telling them to KMA. I've seen what Comcast offers here and it looks damned good and the price difference just isn't there any longer. Plus there isn't a $500 up front fee for a HD DVR!!!

Ryu said:

"by activating a premier device like a DVR or an HD box you are automatically renewed for 2 year deal"

You have got to be kidding me. What a bunch of crap. How can they lease something that they didn't sell me?

I said " what if i bought it at a garage sale or eBay?" they responded with the same rhetoric.

Sorry to hear that. I'm extremely frustrated with the policy of a 2 year commitment when you add new boxes to your sub. I have 2 HD boxes now on a month to month plan. No commitment. If I wanted to try a new box or DVR under the new lease just to see if I like it or not I'm roped into 2 years or huge cancellation fees. This is my biggest issue with Directv at the moment. I want to buy equipment and add it to my plan without a commitment. They do this to keep churn rate down, but it seems a little like extortion. Under the old plan I could buy a used box and add it to my account and try it out. I did this several times until I found a boxes I liked. I just don't see why I need to commit to two years for changing equipment. It doesn't make sense.

I've had to correct my account several times over the last couple of years when Directv had glitches and changed my account to a two year commitment without any account activity. If this is happening for a lot of users and some users are actually paying termination fees when they shold not have I'd imagine that there will be lawsuits.

Last edited:
Ryu said:

Sounds more like the two year commitment I got jabbed with. I don't think that's consider leasing. After two years, if your done, you keep your box still.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)