I got quoted in a PC World Broadband Article!

It may be overkill for some, but I blaze through huge downloads like HD movie trailers and the like....

It would be cheaper too if you subscribed to cable. They charge more to us broadband only users in a passive aggressive way of trying to make us switch.

But it is real nice for me to be on XBox live, while my wife checks her email online, AND my daughter plays on Nick.com all at the same time with no glitches.

I was getting about 10 MB downstream when I got the boost. I average between 25-30 MB down and 1.5 MB upstream now, based on the following testing site...

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

It depends on what you use it for and how many users are on it at any given time. Given the XBox360 (that 1.5 Meg upstream speed is valuable there.... not a single glitch playing any online games), and the number of large media files I download, it was worth the cost to me....

BobMurdoch said:
It depends on what you use it for and how many users are on it at any given time. Given the XBox360 (that 1.5 Meg upstream speed is valuable there.... not a single glitch playing any online games), and the number of large media files I download, it was worth the cost to me....

Bob you should be getting the new speed, if not yet within the next week or so its now going to be a 5Mbps upload :)

I was reading the article and noticed this:
"DSL service is slower than cable on average, with home users
typically getting downstream speeds that max out at 6 mbps--about
where cable begins."

Is there anyone who has a 6 mbps DSL connection?? I thought the fast DSL service currently available was 3mbps and they were starting to beta test a 5mbps connection.

We pay for the upgraded DSL service at work and we max out at 3 MB downstream about 750 KB upstream (9 computers share a connection).

I'll check about the upgrade to 5 MB upstream on my Boost service. They interviewed me about 3 months ago for the article and that was accurate at the time...

BobMurdoch said:
I'll check about the upgrade to 5 MB upstream on my Boost service. They interviewed me about 3 months ago for the article and that was accurate at the time...

I figured it was a while back just wasnt sure if you were aware that with the past week they start upgrading the upload speed on boost. I made a post in the cablevision forum showing the rollout schedule.

I'll keep an eye out..... I checked my speed two weeks ago and it was the same (a little slower on the downstream throughput actually)

I have Verizon DSL at work. Slow as molasses and the upload speed craps out to 250kp every now and then..... Especially compared to my Cablevision service at home.

If you can live with the slower speeds than go for the cheaper alternatives. I do a lot of streaming media so I prefer the faster streams....

.....and in other breaking news, I just found out that an email I wrote about using early online credit card payments to boost your credit score to "Ask Kim" at Kiplinger's Personal Finance is going to be featured in their "Letters" section of their November issue.

Too funny, my wife is joking that I should be hiring a publicist at this rate...

Oh, and Scott.... I'm sure they edited down my comments, so SatGuys PROBABLY didn't get mentioned again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts