I guess they are still installing Hopper without sling. (But I am happy now.)

jeepers94

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
I am strongly thinking of going to Direct. I am a 6 year Dish subscriber no contract.
I thought I would check with dish loyalty to see if they could offer something to
stay with them. They offered a free hopper and tech service. I was ready to say yes
but then asked if it was the hopper with sling. They said no,it was the plain hopper.
I said if it is not with sling,it was no deal. It would cost $50 for the sling version.
So,for $50 they will lose a $90+ monthly account,with auto-pay.
I will save over$18 per month averaged out over the 2 year contract with Direct.
I don't want to leave Dish,but I see no choice!
Of course I will get the genie with dvr from Direct.

The new one costs more, I paid $199 for mine. Man, not really seeing the big deal here.

Also keep in mind not everyone gets the newer HR44 which is faster than the slug HR34, so just jumping ship doesnt mean a whole lot. And both models have their issues.

You have to do what makes sense to you but if you look at what is realistic for an upgrade to the newest equipment then you may find that $50 for and upgrade isn't that bad at all.

I could reverse your statement and say "Is putting up with a service you may not like at all for 24 months worth $50 to you?" Not saying you are wrong but you may want to make sure you make the right choice.

Well, Dish called and told me that I WILL get the sling version after all.
They also told me my owned 211k is compatible with it. I am paying
more than I would for Direct, but I am staying with Dish. I am not one
to jump around services just to save a few bucks, as long as they give
me good service.

Until just recently, anyone who went from a 722 to a Hopper, sling or no sling, PAID for it. So ....

I think you're lucky for staying with Dish. I've had both services and they have advantages and disadvantages but I quit D* because of their bad hardware, and I saw a thread the other day where a D* subscriber was happy because they swapped an H25 for an HR21-700 for him. Good luck with that.

I had a 722K ... upgraded to a HWS + Joey. HWS cost $100 at the time.

Got $25 off for 10 months. Got 3 movie packages for 3 months.

Because I knew I was going to upgrade, for a month prior I paid for the Dish Protection (or whatever it is called) so the tech visit would be free.

I feel I got hooked up pretty good. I did this via chat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)