I had no idea that older 4K models only upscaled from 1080p to 4K...

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I got my Sony XBR-65X950B yesterday and when the DirecTV tech came to upgrade my equipment I find out that my TV only UPSCALES to 4K. It cannot play 4K natively! Aargh! :( I bought an older model for the simulated 3D effect but in the process lose true 4K!!

Welcome to the hot mess that is 4K! And you can nearly bet the farm that there will be more issues as the big boys try to screw it up some more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That doesn't sound right. None of the reviews I read say that.
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/sony-x950b-65inch-4k-tv,review-2694.html
Sony hasn't neglected any needed connections in the design. The set has built-in Wi-Fi (a/b/g/n) and four HDMI ports, two of which are HDCP 2.2 compatible. HDCP stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection and means those two ports support the latest 4K copy-protection schemes. Many earlier sets do not. Still, we wish all 4 ports were HDCP compatible to prevent any confusion.

Image Quality: Serious upscaling skills

It's one thing to have great Ultra HD chops when displaying the latest 4K movies and streaming shows. But Sony's X950B also excels at upscaling regular HD content, which boosts detail, brightness and even color.

Bottom Line

With the possible exception of LG's OLED sets, Sony's 4K X950B displays the best picture we've seen yet. Not only does it perform an outstanding job with Ultra HD content, the TV is also unsurpassed at upscaling lesser-resolution programs to a big, 4K screen. Until more 4K content is available, that may be the X950B's most important feature.

Well I do know that if you have the picture settings wrong, it will only play in 2K, but to the best of my knowledge they are correct.

I'll try and get a new HDMI cable in the next few days and see if that works. Geek Squad is looking at it on Wednesday and I still have time to exchange it

If you decide to return it, look into the 3D capabilities of the Samsung models. I bought mine last fall, and it does 4K natively AND is capable of simulated 3D. Honestly haven't used it, and not sure if the 2016 models still do or not...but might be worth a look.

It cannot play 4K natively! Aargh! :( I bought an older model for the simulated 3D effect but in the process lose true 4K!!
Make sure you don't have one of the goofy picture modes set (Sim-3D or Panarama mode). The TV can do 4K but it may be limited to 24, 25 and 30fps.

You may be happier (though have a lighter wallet) with an HDR/WCG model and an outboard 3D simulator.

Full specs of the Sony X950B indicate that Panorama mode and Simulated 3-D are 2K only.
http://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-x950b-series/specifications

The world of 4K right in front of you

Immerse yourself in 4K — movies and dramas from Netflix*, stunningly beautiful photos from PlayMemories Online* or 500px, and your precious memories shot with 4K Handycam*. The new 4K BRAVIA® series are also compatible with future 4K standards, including HDMI 2.0 for smooth 4K/60p action, MHL 3.0 for 4K mobile data transfers and HEVC codec support up to 4K/60p for the upcoming 4K distribution services.*Note: service depends on region.

Looks like my TV works. (I connected directly to the TV.) The A/V receiver was defective and luckily I purchased the extended warranty from Geek Squad so I took it in and they'll look at it. Hopefully they can't fix it, so I can have a junk out so they can give me a new one.

What receiver is it, the model and number?

Thanks for the input. Hopefully they'll replace it anyways. I'm a little pissed because the device is advertised as 4K capable.

It was advertised as up scaling to 4K which it will do. It just isn't capable of the current requirements. While I wish you luck, I don't think it will get replaced as it is doing all it was med to do. I ran into the same issue with my Denon AVR.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully they'll replace it anyways. I'm a little pissed because the device is advertised as 4K capable.

from the cnet review in 2014

"While Sony does support HDMI 2.0, if you're a stickler for future-proofing, you may want to know that the Onkyo TX-NR626 also has HDCP 2.2, and Dolby Atmos. I don't consider them very important, however, so I'm not dinging the Sony for their absence"

hdmi2 and hdcp 2.2 are required for current 4k

The 1050 does not have HDCP 2.2, expanded 4k color space, or H265 video support. Those are important things. The review in the post above is from 2014. In 2016, even 2015 those things matter. It isn't so much that it was inferior, it's technology was new then and has moved ahead too fast for that receiver. HDR is still not completely resolved yet. (The 1050 it appears anyway will not play (or pass) HDR.)

Because 4K is still in change mode, it is difficult to figure out what exactly to buy these days. Yeah we know what they are saying right now, but they've said many other things as we've transitioned to 4K.

Which means whatever you buy today may or may not support whatever becomes the 'final' specifications, and while 'they' keep changing things, it is affecting our wallets as we try to keep up.

For me I've decided that I'll stop right here for awhile. I have a perfectly good 2015 4K Sharp TV that doesn't support HDR and probably won't. But since the vast majority of actual 4K content is via streaming it isn't a huge issue for me as I have no intention of ever getting a 4K BluRay player.

The prime benefit these days for the 4K TVs is up scaling 720/1080 content that is the vast majority of content out there.

Unless you just want to spend money to get that 4K tv and buy a new AVR you could do what I've done. Attach my 4K content box directly to the TV and use optical to get the audio. Since all the streaming and sat provided 4K is only providing DD anyway, it works just fine. Just makes diddling with remotes a little more, uh, 'challenging'!! :)