I hate my Joey!

VegasVoomer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2004
Las Vegas
I really do. Everything it does is in slow motion. Push any remote button and it takes 2-3 seconds to respond. Hit the "Skip Back" button and instead of going back 15 seconds it goes back a full minute. Right when it gets to the part I skipped back to see again it automatically skips forward to live tv so I miss it. Pause for any less than 30 seconds and hit play and it automatically skips forward to live tv. In the guide using the page up or down button sometimes does nothing unless I use the arrow up or down button first. When page up or down does work it scrolls 2 pages at a time with one push of the button so if I page down I have to hit page up immediately to see the page it skipped over. The search function is absolutely useless. Cursor arrow jumps all over the place except where I want it to go. Can't use the keyboard and cursor to enter anything. It's near impossible. I try to enter a search term using the keys on the remote and the delay time from pushing the button to the response from the Joey causes it to enter the wrong letter. It wont store any search history. At least once a week it looses contact with the HWS and sits there wondering what to do about it. I think the only thing it DOES do right is play back recordings. The skip back works on recorded shows perfectly. The HWS has none of these issues and has been flawless. I don't know if the Super Joey will be any improvement so I'm wondering if I can have the Joey replaced with another HWS?

I would be happy to look into this for you. Please PM me with your account or phone number and your 4 digit PIN.

Sadly, other than the part you mentioned about losing contact with the HWS weekly, most of what you describe is perfectly normal for a regular Joey and has been since day one. :( I banished mine to the Garage when the Super Joey came out. The Super Joey is MUCH faster; however, it does still have those same trick play issues (skip back not working, skipping back to live, etc).

To me, the Super Joey is much more liveable, just because it is so much faster, but the trick play issues drive me nuts. :confused:

(BTW...Nice toy in the avatar! Had one just like it for a while. :D)

I really do. Everything it does is in slow motion. Push any remote button and it takes 2-3 seconds to respond. Hit the "Skip Back" button and instead of going back 15 seconds it goes back a full minute. Right when it gets to the part I skipped back to see again it automatically skips forward to live tv so I miss it. Pause for any less than 30 seconds and hit play and it automatically skips forward to live tv. In the guide using the page up or down button sometimes does nothing unless I use the arrow up or down button first. When page up or down does work it scrolls 2 pages at a time with one push of the button so if I page down I have to hit page up immediately to see the page it skipped over. The search function is absolutely useless. Cursor arrow jumps all over the place except where I want it to go. Can't use the keyboard and cursor to enter anything. It's near impossible. I try to enter a search term using the keys on the remote and the delay time from pushing the button to the response from the Joey causes it to enter the wrong letter. It wont store any search history. At least once a week it looses contact with the HWS and sits there wondering what to do about it. I think the only thing it DOES do right is play back recordings. The skip back works on recorded shows perfectly. The HWS has none of these issues and has been flawless. I don't know if the Super Joey will be any improvement so I'm wondering if I can have the Joey replaced with another HWS?
mine does the same thing..I hate that joey..keep hoping they will fix it...

Reactions: Troch77
Well, I hate a lot of things in my life. My slow Joey is near (or at) the bottom of the list.

Agree, I have one that works Good, and another that works like crap.

I'M sending you a PM too Andrew.
I like everything about your services, so this issue that remains unresolved is a bit of a let down.

My Joeys are slow too, but I haven't had the issues with trick play. The Joeys weren't slow when I first got my system. They slowed down considerably after one of firmware updates a while back.

I only hate it when my daughter bitches about on a daily basis. Lol
It's almost unusable, the Netflix service takes forever, as does the OnDemand ,and the using the search function is almost impossible.

Yep, my Joeys are annoyingly laggy. It really is a pain and makes the whole experience very negative. While I don't quite hate my Joeys, yet, I am getting there. RIght on, OP. Let's hope Dish fixes this, and they just might in the next big update.

I wish I could disable the blue button. Accidentally hit it last night and had to wait several minutes while it attempted to load the apps screen.

I wish I could disable the blue button. Accidentally hit it last night and had to wait several minutes while it attempted to load the apps screen.
Oh yeah. That's one I forgot to mention. I hit that button on purpose last night looking for a ball game. I'm sure I missed half an inning waiting for it.

I love my Hopper system but you'd think after almost two years they would fix the Joey. It's tolerable but shameful Dish doesn't fix it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)