I hate Roku

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
I just got a Roku 3 and when I went to set it up I *had* to provide my credit card number in order to use it. Just like Apple does when setting up an iPhone account. I don't remember having to do this for the Roku 2 or my other TV (that is a Smart TV). Then, when I went to add PBS Kids to my channel list, I *had* to provide my e-mail address in order to add it. I don't want to provide my credit card number and there should have been an opt-out for that. Now, my credit card info is on yet another database. And now I'm waiting to see if I'll be spammed by PBS. :oldmad

I did the same thing almost a year ago. I haven't been spammed, and I haven't had my card info stolen. Be aware though, that not ALL channels are free, some have a charge. Now that they have your card, if you add a pay channel, they'll take the fee from your card automatically.

I think you can setup a pin (If I remember right) to stop anybody else in your household from adding pay channels.

Reactions: Mr Tony
You can do it without cc on roku 3, helped a friend set his up that way.

While not fond of the practice, I think saying I hate them is a bit harsh. Roku revolutionized the streaming TV market and I have a couple of their units. I even participated in a beta for them and they are top knotch in support for their products.

While not fond of the practice, I think saying I hate them is a bit harsh. Roku revolutionized the streaming TV market and I have a couple of their units. I even participated in a beta for them and they are top knotch in support for their products.

Except Roku TV by Hisense, which they advertise on line showing Watch ESPN, but the TV does not support it. I love their stand alone units.

I'm not sure I'd ever buy a Hisense TV anyway. I'd have to be pretty desperate to drop all the way to a 3rd tier manufacturer...
Picture quality and sound are top notch. The only reason I bought it was because it was only Roku TV I could find in my town. Like the TV, just not that they didn't advertise that you could not get Watch ESPN on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts