Status
Please reply by conversation.

n1wbd

Silent Key - RIP 1/2/2012
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Grafton,NH
I won a Geosatpro DSR200 sat system. I was wondering could I hook it up to my existing Dish network dish I have a Dish 500 and a Dish 300 looking at 110, 119 and 61.5 just to try out the receiver? The lnbs I believe are Dish pro plus lnbs. I know most everything is on those bird are encrypted but maybe 1 or 2 channels are FTA.

It appears that I won't be able to install my dish easily as it would have to go on the roof and I'm disabled so I don't climb roofs anymore. So I thought I'd try this first just to see the receiver working

There is nothing on those satellites that you can decode. All the programming in encrypted . You'll need at least a 30" ( I'd say 36" dish ) for linear polarity, FTA programming. You should be able to scan the satellites in question, but only get back scrambled channels.

If you try it, be sure you have the power off to the receivers before you unplug/plugin the coax! And you'd have to set whatever satellite you want to try, in your receiver (the LO freq is not 10750 for circular satellites, I believe it is 11250). Don't know if having DN switches in the system will allow it to work or not though. But sure, you can scan in a bunch of scrambled channels, maybe a preview channel is still in the clear, just for a test.

The dishnet 500 uses Diseqc 1 for 119W and Diseqc 2 for 110W . the other sat, Perhaps Diseqc 3, I don't know how they're connected . You should get a lot of scrambled channels, that's for sure.
:)

YES

I used to plug my new FTA receivers, cards, and USB boxes into my DishNetwork DP-34 switch, to get a feel for them when I first started.
Running some of the software packages back then was a big learning experience!
They had a nice strong signal, and there were a few in-the-clear channels (NASA for one, and some audio-only music).
Now days, I think about all you'll find is channel 100 or 101 (?), and a few barker channels.
I haven't looked in a couple of years.

If you're dishPro, and if you have a dp34 switch, and if you pay attention to which inputs each dish goes to ...
A lot of -if's- , oh, and if you set your receiver for bandstacked or whatever it's called, then you should be good to experiment.
Normal Dish installations put 119° on diseqc 1, 110° on diseqc 2, and whatever is left on diseqc 3.
However, nothing is written in stone, so check at the switch!

On the other hand, if you have a DP44 switch, or one of the 119°/110° heads on a Dish 500 that has an additional input for the third bird, I couldn't help ya.
That's all DishProPlus, as I recall.

And leave your Dish receivers plugged in, to supply power.

Last edited:
Well I know I don't have any external multi switches they are builtin to the lnb assy on both the dish 300 and 500. I know the lnb for 61.5 has the single coax running from it and is connected to the tap on the Dish 500 lnb assy and I assume it's combined together and I have 2 single coax runs to my vip211 and 222 on the 222 there is a DishProPlus separator on the back of the 222 to feed both inputs of the receiver.

I believe this is the Dish Pro Plus system they use.

I have another question because I don't want to damage my Geosatpro or my DishProplus lnbs does the Geosatpro have the ability to switch between the lnbs on my Dish 500 and 300. Has anyone ever tried this? I just do not want to blow up anything.
Thanks
Bob

Bob you wont blow up anything. It just wont work ;)

I have never tried using a DishProPlus so I dont know how well it will work. You could try 119 as Diseqc1 and 110 as Diseqc2

I think the Dish Pro Plus's are similar to the regular Dish Pro LNBs. They're bandstacked, so scanning it may get something like channel 101 Info, but not at a published transponder frequency.

If you'll click on The List at the top of any page, and go to Subscription List, you'll see the DishNetwork birds listed by orbital location.
Pick 61°, or 110°, or 119°, and look at the transponders on it.
Any transponder that's operated in Mpeg2, QPSK, and ConUS Beam, (but not spotbeam, 8psk or MPEG4), would be a good candidate.
Input that transponder freqency, and give it a scan. Might turn up a barker channel.

Now as to a dish to use.
You could disconnect the 61° dish from the Dish500 and use the 61 signal for a test.
If that's not convenient, what about a left-over Dish or DirecTV 18-22 inch dish.?
I have a bunch of 'em, and I'd think you might have a few laying around , too.
Consider a single-lnb model, or put a single LNB on any dish, if there's a choice. (not the Dish500 dual-head)
Go for bandstacked if DishPro, or even any regular old LNB .
That's what Dish calls: Legacy (V & H controled by 13/18 volts respectively).

I've been able to find a Dish bird by hand-holding a small dish, during some LNB testing I once did, so we're not talking difficult, at all.
You could mount your dish on pretty much any small pole, C-clamp the base to a fence or table (I actually did that twice: table and ladder)!
Or, I've seen some lay them on the ground, propped up with some cinder blocks.
Again, not much of a challenge.

The receiver, LNBFs and switches will not be damaged. Set the LNB type to DishPro, connect the 61.5 and blind scan. The GEOSATpro will correctly recognize tbe bandstacked DishPro LNBFs, list the found transponders and log a few unencrypted channels. Several channels can be watched at this time!

I believe that you could instead disconnect one of your existing receivers and connect to the GEOSATpro receiver and select LNB type to DishPro and DiSEqQ to 3. This should allow you to control the existing switching LNBF to view the 61.5 satellite.

Last edited:
As long as you leave one of the dish network receivers on to power the dishpro plus setup then yes it should work.One thing you need to do is remove the separator and feed the cable directly from the lnb to your geosat and setup your lnb type and diseqc settings accordingly "119w-port#1","110w-port#2" & "61.5-port#3.

Thanks everyone for the info. I have one more question. So I can disconnect for example my vip222 dish receiver and hook up my geosat but how does the geosat know which lnb to get it's signal from. is it done in the menu and I just specify 61.5 and I believe someone said set the diseqc to #3? Sounds like you basically for the lack of a better term assign a diseqc address to each of my lnbs. Or SatAV as you just mentioned set the lnb type to DishPro, I assume the DishPro mode also supports the DishProplus lnbs that I have? As I have said before there are no external multiswitches it is builtin to the lnbs.

Sorry if I'm being too cautious or asking too many questions I just don't want to screw up my system. I'm from the old school of the BUD days it was so much simpler to setup. :) I would love to get my FTA system setup but because of my disabilty (neuropathy and diabetes which has left me with no feeling in both feet and part of my left hand) I don't dare climb roofs anymore and there is no FTA installers in my area locally.

I really appreciate the info and all the help. I may just bite the bullet and dive head first into this and hope I don't see smoke. :D
Thanks
Bob

The receiver, LNBFs and switches will not be damaged. Set the LNB type to DishPro, connect the 61.5 and blind scan. The GEOSATpro will correctly recognize tbe bandstacked DishPro LNBFs, list the found transponders and log a few unencrypted channels. Several channels can be watched at this time!

I believe that you could instead disconnect one of your existing receivers and connect to the GEOSATpro receiver and select LNB type to DishPro and DiSEqQ to 3. This should allow you to control the existing switching LNBF to view the 61.5 satellite.

Yes I figured I disconnect the coax from the separator from the back of my vip222 and connect it to the Geosat.

As long as you leave one of the dish network receivers on to power the dishpro plus setup then yes it should work.One thing you need to do is remove the separator and feed the cable directly from the lnb to your geosat and setup your lnb type and diseqc settings accordingly "119w-port#1","110w-port#2" & "61.5-port#3.

Yes the dishpro plus lnb has a bulit in switch and you would need to set the diseqc ports in your receivers antenna setup menu along with the lnb type "dishpro".

I have it hooked up and currently scanning however there is NO DishPro in the LNB setting so I'm trying it as a sw64

I got it!! So far so good it works!!! YEE HAA!! :) Thanks alot guys your great!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)