I have mode 1080i on, but the screen looks like its zoom in.

popshark86

Original poster
May 24, 2004
I have mode 1080i on, but the screen looks like its zoom in. I know thats the best mode there is for Voom. Only when I have it on 1080i the screen is zoom in or pushed to the left. I don't think my tv supports 720p cuz when i set it to 720 it looks black and white. When I use 480p or 480i the screen fits correctly to 16X9. I really don't know whats wrong with it. Is it my tv or the receiver. I really want to use the 1080i cuz it has the best picture compare to the 480s. :confused:

i have the same problem, what TV are you running? My RCA D52W17 seems to not like the 1080i, pushing the pic off to the left as well

I have written a couple of post regarding this problem. I believe that it is a signal problem, since it is occurring on sets and that it is the same problem (mostly RCAs).

With that being said, we are in the minority and most people on the forum believe that it is an overscan problem. I hope Wilt or someone at Voom is reading and does something about it
Mike

RE: [VOOM] Re: I have mode 1080i on, but the screen looks like its zoom in.

I have a Hitachi and have NO problems with 1080i. I LOVE VOOM HD!!

:)

_____

Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 10:01 PM
To: VOOM@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [VOOM] Re: I have mode 1080i on, but the screen looks like its
zoom in.

I'm reading it but don't see the issue at all, or in general. There have
been some overscan issues, HDN had some a bit ago, but I'm not aware of any
other chronic ones.
Stupid question perhaps but are you sure the Model you have supports 1080i?
What model is it, if I may ask?
Thanks,
Wilt

_____

From: mkwillia [mailto:mkwillia.17z57b@nobody.satelliteguys.us]
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 10:55 PM
Subject: [VOOM] Re: I have mode 1080i on, but the screen looks like its zoom
in.

I have written a couple of post regarding this problem. I believe that
it is a signal problem, since it is occurring on sets and that it is
the same problem (mostly RCAs).

With that being said, we are in the minority and most people on the
forum believe that it is an overscan problem. I hope Wilt or someone
at Voom is reading and does something about it
Mike

--
mkwillia

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

ADVERTISEMENT

<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294h5b7h/M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=gr
oups/S=1705036932:HM/EXP=1087527640/A=2164331/R=0/SIG=11eaelai9/*http://www.
netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183351> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=groups/S=
:HM/A=2164331/rand=492137239>

_____

Yahoo! Groups Links

* To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VOOM/

* To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
VOOM-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:VOOM-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>

* Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

RE: [VOOM] Re: I have mode 1080i on,but the screen looks like its zoom in.

I'm reading it but don't see the issue at all, or in general. There have
been some overscan issues, HDN had some a bit ago, but I'm not aware of any
other chronic ones.
Stupid question perhaps but are you sure the Model you have supports 1080i?
What model is it, if I may ask?
Thanks,
Wilt

_____

From: mkwillia [mailto:mkwillia.17z57b@nobody.satelliteguys.us]
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 10:55 PM
Subject: [VOOM] Re: I have mode 1080i on, but the screen looks like its zoom
in.

I have written a couple of post regarding this problem. I believe that
it is a signal problem, since it is occurring on sets and that it is
the same problem (mostly RCAs).

With that being said, we are in the minority and most people on the
forum believe that it is an overscan problem. I hope Wilt or someone
at Voom is reading and does something about it
Mike

--
mkwillia

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

ADVERTISEMENT

<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129kmu7q2/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
oups/S=1705036932:HM/EXP=1087527367/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
anion.yahoo.com> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=
:HM/A=2128215/rand=643407646>

_____

Yahoo! Groups Links

* To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VOOM/

* To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
VOOM-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:VOOM-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>

* Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

Wilt,
The reports have been mostly with RCA HD set. Yes, all are capable to receive/handle the 1080i signal. My set is the RCA P61310. It is a noticable overscan/zoom issue. If I am looking at a Voom exclusive channel, premium channel, or Discovery HD, it all is the same. I verify this by pushing the Voom button and when I compare what I see in the caption (when the programming it in the upper right hand corner) to what I see in full screen, there is a considerable difference.

Now, I know that there is some overscan that is suppose to naturally happen, but I believe that this is a problem. I also believe that this problem is possibly causing me not to get the full glory of the Voom signal. (though I am still impressed by what I am getting) It almost feels as if some pushed a zoom button and with that some of the picture clarity is sacrificed.

Any help and/or research that you can do would GREATLY appreciated. I am a happy voomer and wish for the success of this venture.

Thanks.
Mike

PS - Wilt here is a link to the discussion of this issue.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=12275&page=1&pp=15

stevo714 said:
How do you change from 1080i to 720p on the Voom Receiver?
How do I switch the video resolution? Where is that "Red Button"?
Open a small door with the Motorola logo at the bottom right corner of the front panel of the STB. Press the small red button several times. Each time you press this button, one of four horizontal bars on the front panel will blink orange, indicating a resolution change. The upper bar means 1080i, the second one - 720p, the third - 480p, the bottom bar means 480i. All four bars at once means "Native" mode, in which the output resolution follows the source.
RedButton.jpg

Hidden Red Button.

I've gone to the 480p mode, it seems to work well. Hardly any pq drop that I've noticed and it's not annoyingly pushed off to the left. My tv doesn't support the 720p, it displays three images.

subdude 212... I like your picture... but, it may be just my STB (or maybe my tv), but on mine where you have 720p, mine goes to native scan rate and does not recognize 720p... I have to put it on one of the others to get my local ABC DT(720p) to come in, but that's ok for now, cause I only watch their college football... on the otherhand ESPN comes in, but I think voom upconverts it to 1080i...

rgarbonzo said:
I've gone to the 480p mode, it seems to work well. Hardly any pq drop that I've noticed and it's not annoyingly pushed off to the left. My tv doesn't support the 720p, it displays three images.
Using 480P you are depriving yourself of almost 2/3 of the signal! 480P is actually displaying 483 x 720 = 347,760 pixels per frame. 720P on the other hand is 720 x 1280 = 921,600 pixels per frame and offers arguably today's best HD viewing experience. 1080i is supposedly 1080i x 1920 pixels but in reality is interlaced and therefore only displays 1 of 2 fields at a time so it only displays 540 lines at any time. Also, 1080i is currently being subsampled to 1440 pixels in width so it isn't all that it is cracked up to be.

Nonetheless, my tv displays 720P from the VOOM box with a 1/2" to 1" border around the image whereas 1080i fills the screen. I find the difference between 480P and 1080i or 720P to be more than noticeable. I don't find the difference in PQ between setting my VOOM box to 1080i versus 720P to be objectionable so I leave it on 1080i as it fills the screen with no border.

voomvoom said:
but on mine where you have 720p, mine goes to native scan rate and does not recognize 720p... I have to put it on one of the others to get my local ABC DT(720p) to come in, but that's ok for now, cause I only watch their college football... on the otherhand ESPN comes in, but I think voom upconverts it to 1080i...
The VOOM STB's second bar down is definitely 720P and not native (that's all four bars). I have my VOOM STB set to display 1080i even though the native resolution of my TV is 720P and the picture is awesome, no misaligned images, no need to ever change the VOOM resolution settings, no distortion on SD channels that don't broadcast bars and no overscan issues. I've never polled the group but I don't recall anyone stating that they leave their VOOM STB in 720P mode. I've only heard of people using 1080i or some who want to always fill their screen even though it distorts on some broadcasts use native mode. Maybe users of the 720P setting will chime in and we can learn from their experience.

So, I guess the real answer is that if you have a RCA set, you either have to downgrade your Voom signal to 480p to see the full picture (though Video Quality will be downgraded), leave it at the 720P or 1080i signal and see a zoomed in picture, or have you set professionally adjusted to deal with the signal overscan problem.

Mike

I have not seen this problem yet.
Have you gone into options - Video and moved the screen to the right?

----
Another Voom Installer.

subdude212 said:
Using 480P you are depriving yourself of almost 2/3 of the signal! 480P is actually displaying 483 x 720 = 347,760 pixels per frame. 720P on the other hand is 720 x 1280 = 921,600 pixels per frame and offers arguably today's best HD viewing experience. 1080i is supposedly 1080i x 1920 pixels but in reality is interlaced and therefore only displays 1 of 2 fields at a time so it only displays 540 lines at any time. Also, 1080i is currently being subsampled to 1440 pixels in width so it isn't all that it is cracked up to be.

Nonetheless, my tv displays 720P from the VOOM box with a 1/2" to 1" border around the image whereas 1080i fills the screen. I find the difference between 480P and 1080i or 720P to be more than noticeable. I don't find the difference in PQ between setting my VOOM box to 1080i versus 720P to be objectionable so I leave it on 1080i as it fills the screen with no border.
My 720p splits the image into three and the 480p gives me snow everytime I change channels so it's back to 1080i with the zoom in.

rgarbonzo said:
My 720p splits the image into three and the 480p gives me snow everytime I change channels so it's back to 1080i with the zoom in.
If you are feeling a bit intrepid I bet you could find posted on SatelliteGuys or in the AVSForum the steps needed to get into the service menu of your HDTV and to the right adjustment controls to change the amount of overscan with your set. Mitsubishi and RCA owners seem to be plagued by too much overscan - you are definitely not alone in bringing up the issue. If you bought a long term warranty you might be able to get someone to pay you a visit at your house to recalibrate it for you.

I think the issue is RCA's legacy to their old HD rcvr. I used to have a 4:3 RCA HD set and their HD rcvr put out a cheap version of the timings, not true 1080i. I think the RCA is seeing it as 540p not 1080i, but I could be wrong. I found every HD design in that set to be cheap and budget so I wouldn't be surprised

occammd,
I somewhat agree with you to the fact that RCA was and is one of the lower cost HD set manufacturers out there. But, I believe that your timing reference isn't correct. For the longest, the RCA DTC-100 (I believe that is the HD receiver) was used in most high end reference testing when review OTA reception and PQ. Now, that has changed with everyone having a HD receiver now.

I do believe that it probably is something with the Mits and RCA's. With that being said, I will probably be getting a new set soon and this problem is more of a bother than a deterrent.

But just for the record, if Voom is to succeed, their signal better be FULLY viewable with all sets (high end, low end, or otherwise) to deliver the value that I think is there.

I know that RCA DTC100 was used extensively 'cause it was one of the first, but I am fairly certain I remember numerous discussions about timing issues. Both on the sets and the rcvr. My 4:3 RCA HD monitor would only accept a 4:3 HD input, not 1080i. I had to send it 800x600p to get it to run. The DTC would put out the right timing, but it was not standard. It was 520 or something like that.

Anyway, it quit after 2 years. Fortunately I had a warranty, which I almost never buy, and got the Panny LCD RPTV instead