I Have Reached My Limit!!!...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishman Dan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 22, 2008
N/A
We have had extreme weather and extensive damage due to the weather. :( Do not worry my BUD survived! :) Our power was off for a couple of days so all of my electronic stuff was useless. :mad: I have to get a generator!!! :eureka I have a DSR922 receiver which is still working BUT... :eek:

I can receive the satellites west of W5 just fine. :up W5 is near being tuned in but the receiver says that the east limit has been reached. :( I have tried several times to reset the east limit with no success. :mad: The west limit can be moved around with no probem and tunes in fine. Could there be a sensor probem??? I am within a few clicks of W5 being tuned and have more sats to the east to tune but cannot get there!!!... Any ideas??? :confused:

if not the receiver:

I believe some H-H motors have limit switches (AJAK, or that monster on the Pinnacle?)
And I know some H-H motors don't have limit switches and can be run off the gears (Birdview).

My knowledge of the screw jack motors is limited, but in pictures I believe I've seen mechanical switches for the same reasons mentioned above.
What kind of motor do you have?
Maybe someone has experience or pictures of that kind?

OH, and about the 4D receiver... do you have anything else (old analog?) that could drive the dish more eastward?
That would help determine if it's a problem with the motor, or with the Moto. :rolleyes:
last thought: maybe the motor or mount is binding now (iced up?) where it wasn't before?

The motor is part of a 36" VENTURE screw type actuator. I thought that I had a VON WEISE on it until I checked. The thing has been working great even when we were 10 degrees below zero. Today it is above freezing and it just will not go to W5 or further east. I checked the switches but I will be checking them even closer. I have other "stuff" including receivers in my barn but unfortunately the wind took the roof and made a terrible mess and I have to salvage what I can. I think that I will become an expert on these once I figure this out. The thing stumping me is when (sometimes if) I get the east limit moved to a lower number the dish and motor will move to that position. If the limit is set higher it works but just will not set past a certain number (near W5). During the day I tried a few times and managed to gain a couple of numbers of movement closer to W5. If the switch was stuck, should it move like that??? Is it up to the receiver to set/call the positions and the dish is supposed to follow the instructions??? I will try finding something else to hook up and move the dish when I get a chance. The motor seems to move fine until it hits that east limit and quits wherever the limit is set except I need it further east!

Is the actuator straining to move? Making unusual noises? Worked OK until the storm tells me something happened outside.

If both limits moved, did the clamp slip on the tube? In that case the motor may be at it's physical limit. There are micro switches that open the motor circuit to prevent damage in addition to the receiver's limit settings.

I'm posting the inside photo of mine. In the photo they are behind the brass color vertical screw. The white edge is barely visible on the lower switch. They are contacted as the threaded sleeve moves up or down on this Venture model. The pulse count sensor is visible behind the magnetic wheel.

Attachments

• Picture 165.jpg
    Picture 165.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
A couple questions...
If you motor to your most westerly sat, is your actuator nearly completely retracted?
Is it possible that the actuator slipped in the collar that clamps around the outer tube?
Ie normally, to get the most range, you should adjust the position of the actuator in the collar such that when it is at it's western limit (for someone in the east)and nearly fully retracted, that it should be aiming just past your far western sat. Ie loosen the collar and when the receiver says that it's at your western sat, slide the actuator within the collar to find that sat. This will give you the maximum range to your eastern side.
What I was thinking is that perhaps during wind, or rough movement (dish frozen, but actuator still pushing or pulling), that it slipped in the collar. If it isn't at the proper position in the collar, it will be impossible to reach some sats one one or the other end of your normal range.
If it looks like it isn't retracted when aiming to the far west, then I'd re-adjust that. You may have to manually motor almost to the west hardware limit, set the software limit, find your western most sat bu sliding the tube in the collar, and then do a resync command for that western sat on the receiver .
Of course, if it looks like your actuator is retracted properly when aimed west, then ignore everything I've said. :)

Another possibility, is that there may have been physical damage to the hardware limits. I'm not familiar with that actuator, but maybe you got ice or something in the actuator motor box, and when you tried motoring, the ice moved the limit switches. Usually, you'll have software limits on your receiver, and you should never reach the hardware switches, but if there was damage to the thing that runs along the screw in the box and pushes on the limit switches, perhaps the hardware limit is being reached before it's supposed to.

Anyway, just a couple more things to think of.

EDIT: Oops. Looks like it took me so long to write the above that Corrado said almost the same thing. Sorry.

I got something!!! :D The rod that contacts the limit switches seems to have moved or something changed to cause this problem. The rod was touching the switch to prevent further movement and upon a quick inspection I did not see anything damaged which is good news. The set screw that holds the rod in place was tight not loose. I backed the rod off alittle bit and was able to get W5! Anyone know the right way to adjust the rod??? I did not play with it too much more because it was getting dark (and colder) out there. I am scratching my head wondering what could of changed to make this happen. :confused: The motor does make some noise but it has done that for quite some time . I am now able to receive the birds from G3 to C4 which covers most of what I watch in my subscription package. I am going to really look into it much further! Hopefully I will have a chance tomorrow in daylight to watch it move as I try the whole arc. Any input is much appreciated!!!... THANKS! :)

Try to get some good lighting on the guts, and shoot a few pictures from different angles.
Also, pull back and shoot the whole motor/dish combo from several angles. May help.
Maybe someone with the identical hardware will be able to point you to the answer, or see something you've overlooked.
I find high resolution picures a really wonderful troubleshooting aid!

Thanks! I will see what I can do for pictures. I do not know what would be easier to do, figure this out or put a VON WEISE on there since the motor is a little squawky. I have a lot going on with cleaning up the downed barn but I still need my BUD!!!... :D

The motor does make some noise but it has done that for quite some time .

My Saginaw's motor made noise for years till it quit about a month in a half ago. I bought a new actuator and then found out what stopped the Saginaw, the brushes are shot. Im still going to replace them and lube it up as a spare when I get some time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts