I have some questions!! PLease help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

13babul13

Original poster
May 22, 2008
:confused:Hi, I am new to this forum,
After seaching and searching in google a found this site. I have a couple of questions regarding C band dish. I have one but it has not been in used in over 6 years. Are those type of dishes still been use? My parents threw the black box, I believe it call the receiver, and now I can't connect the dish to see if it works. Can I just buy any type of black box ( receiver), and will it work properly with the satellite? How much do thise receivers cost, at proximately? I also been trying to search for a local type pf service for my satellite, I live in fresno, Ca. do any of you know were I could find one? It is true that with the reansition to digital cable, The C band won't work? Finally, do satellite service cost less than comcast, dish network or diretv? I'm tire of paying over $120.00 per month for cable and internet.

But, hopefully with the information that I receive from this forum, I will say good by to comcast. I'm sorry for asking that many question. But after reading some post, I just want to learn as much as possible. And maybe not have to pay to have it install. :)
Thank You, Very Much.
fill.gif

Big dishes still work. You need a Motorola DSR-922 4dtv receiver for subscription cable type programming like HBO, USA, HGTV, etc.

A free to air receiver will get special interest channels and foreign language stuff.

Most of us run two or three receivers. There are a few different types of digital signals that can be received on your big dish from several satellites.

Read the FAQ section.

Welcome to the forum.

the more you tell us, the more we can tell you

Show us some pictures of the dish from the front, side, and back.
If the dish has any dents, holes, or missing panels, tell us if they don't show clearly in the pictures.
Measure across the dish, and tell us how big it is.

Get some close ups of the feedhorn (that thing at the focus point of the dish)
Remove the cover, if it has one, and watch out for bugs, spiders, and wasp nests.
Get clear pictures from several angles.

Then, if the dish has a motor (on the back side of the mount) , take some pictures of that from various angles.

Is the dish still installed in its original location, or are you planning to move it to your house?

From my experience, Monday and Tuesday, receivers to move the dish can be plentyful and cheap. A Mercury II receiver to watch digital signals is reasonably priced and easy to use. By some definitions of expert === an ex is a "has Been" and a spurt is a "drip under pressure", then this was an ex-spurt opinion! SO KEEP READING. Then enjoy the hobby and free to air TV. WELCOME!

The dish has been at the same location in my yard. The only thing that happend was that my parents got tire of changing channels from Galaxy to Galaxy, and decided to stop using it. I am embarass to say this, but I don't have a camara or cellphone to take pictures. I will get a dispossable camara and scan the pictures to show then to you guys. I don't thing I could open the satellite, I will try, because its to high, its probably 10 or 15 ft high. I will try.

I take it that the Dish is in good condition and you still have the receiver?
C-Band is not going away, "analog" is fading away. C Band is probably expanding with High Definition.
Sat AMC 18 was just launched, it's brand new and has both C and Ku band.
Most of what I watch(sports) in C Band HD.
To put a list together of what you need, you need to list what you want / expect.
Also, you need to do find out which LNB / Feedhorn you have.

Lak7, I believe the receiver is gone, according to the first post.

If it is still where it was when power was turned off 6 years ago, hooking a decent digital receiver to it and blind scanning may tell a lot about what is going on. I will presume that the LNB probably will still work, and since it was only 6 years ago, it probably is an LNB, not an LNA.

So, 13babl13 give us as much information as you can, do not get hurt trying to get information and give us an idea of where you are. Lat/Lon or city, state and we will help.

WELCOME to the best source of clean information around -- and from my experience, the best group of helpers you can find!
POP

:confused:Hi, I am new to this forum,
After seaching and searching in google a found this site. I have a couple of questions regarding C band dish. I have one but it has not been in used in over 6 years. Are those type of dishes still been use? My parents threw the black box, I believe it call the receiver, and now I can't connect the dish to see if it works. Can I just buy any type of black box ( receiver), and will it work properly with the satellite? How much do thise receivers cost, at proximately? I also been trying to search for a local type pf service for my satellite, I live in fresno, Ca. do any of you know were I could find one? It is true that with the reansition to digital cable, The C band won't work? Finally, do satellite service cost less than comcast, dish network or diretv? I'm tire of paying over $120.00 per month for cable and internet.

But, hopefully with the information that I receive from this forum, I will say good by to comcast. I'm sorry for asking that many question. But after reading some post, I just want to learn as much as possible. And maybe not have to pay to have it install. :)
Thank You, Very Much.
fill.gif
Google found you the best forum you can find for help. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts