I heard the Shuttle this morning! And saw it too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

delta_charlie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Hi all, what a great morning for a shuttle launch! Clear as a bell and very quite. About 6:10 AM I had HQ5 (NASA HD) on the BUD and the announcer said you could see the space station flying over and sure enough I ran out side and could see it ripping across the sky to the N.E from near Orlando. Then the launch - saw it first on NASA then ran outside and watched it go up. Managed to snap a few pictures using only a 55 mm zoom on my Pentax digital camera from the back yard. If you look close in one of the pictures you can see the BUD that had NASA on it. About a minute after the launch I could clearly hear it. What a morning!

PS - the two pictures of the contrails were taken about 20 min. after the launch.

Got to start getting ready for work, DC

Attachments

• croppedIMGP9748.JPG
    croppedIMGP9748.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 292
  • croppedIMGP9754.JPG
    croppedIMGP9754.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 266
  • rescaleIMGP9755.JPG
    rescaleIMGP9755.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 285
you're lucky you live where you get to see launches on a frequent basis.

thanks for the pics.

I'm hoping to plan a trip to the Space Coast to watch one of the remaining launches in person. The last launch I saw in person was way back in 1985... It was a night launch.

We all take way too much for granted. Our lives here in America parallel a Jules Verne tale.
"Our" shuttle is making regular space flights much like airliners fly every day.

Just think about how much we have to be thankful for! I read on yahoo where almost 50 percent of America pay no taxes to the IRS a couple of days ago. Funny twist, isn't it?

I've always regretted not making it to a Saturn V launch. I've seen two shuttle launches and hope to make it back down for one of the remaining 3.

Awesome pics Charlie! Took the family to watch a launch back in '98. It was an early morning launch...just before daylight. We stayed in Cocoa FL. Had to wake the kids up at about 4 AM to get to a designated observation site. Someone had a small portable TV next to us watching the countdown. At liftoff, the early morning skies turned a beautiful orange glow over the small lakes on the horizon. Beautiful! I too want to go back this year, before project Space Shuttle ends.

Yep, Cocoa Beach is where we stayed as well. A relative got us a pass to view the launch from Cape Canaveral AFS, as close as people were allowed to be. I still have the pass, it is for mission 61-B and has a warning on the back about what to do if the cloud from the launch moves in your direction :D ...

Yep, Cocoa Beach is where we stayed as well.

Well actually we had to stay in the town of Cocoa(just a few miles from Cocoa Beach), CB was booked up. :)

A relative got us a pass to view the launch from Cape Canaveral AFS, as close as people were allowed to be. I still have the pass, it is for mission 61-B and has a warning on the back about what to do if the cloud from the launch moves in your direction :D

Wow! Nice. I have no relatives with connections to anything. :( But I have what they called a "car pass" back then(STS-88 launch) that I sent off for...but we never made that trip so I just kept it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)