I heard the Shuttle this morning! And saw it too.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

delta_charlie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Hi all, what a great morning for a shuttle launch! Clear as a bell and very quite. About 6:10 AM I had HQ5 (NASA HD) on the BUD and the announcer said you could see the space station flying over and sure enough I ran out side and could see it ripping across the sky to the N.E from near Orlando. Then the launch - saw it first on NASA then ran outside and watched it go up. Managed to snap a few pictures using only a 55 mm zoom on my Pentax digital camera from the back yard. If you look close in one of the pictures you can see the BUD that had NASA on it. About a minute after the launch I could clearly hear it. What a morning!

PS - the two pictures of the contrails were taken about 20 min. after the launch.

Got to start getting ready for work, DC

Attachments

• croppedIMGP9748.JPG
    croppedIMGP9748.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 290
  • croppedIMGP9754.JPG
    croppedIMGP9754.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 266
  • rescaleIMGP9755.JPG
    rescaleIMGP9755.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 283
you're lucky you live where you get to see launches on a frequent basis.

thanks for the pics.

I'm hoping to plan a trip to the Space Coast to watch one of the remaining launches in person. The last launch I saw in person was way back in 1985... It was a night launch.

We all take way too much for granted. Our lives here in America parallel a Jules Verne tale.
"Our" shuttle is making regular space flights much like airliners fly every day.

Just think about how much we have to be thankful for! I read on yahoo where almost 50 percent of America pay no taxes to the IRS a couple of days ago. Funny twist, isn't it?

I've always regretted not making it to a Saturn V launch. I've seen two shuttle launches and hope to make it back down for one of the remaining 3.

Awesome pics Charlie! Took the family to watch a launch back in '98. It was an early morning launch...just before daylight. We stayed in Cocoa FL. Had to wake the kids up at about 4 AM to get to a designated observation site. Someone had a small portable TV next to us watching the countdown. At liftoff, the early morning skies turned a beautiful orange glow over the small lakes on the horizon. Beautiful! I too want to go back this year, before project Space Shuttle ends.

Yep, Cocoa Beach is where we stayed as well. A relative got us a pass to view the launch from Cape Canaveral AFS, as close as people were allowed to be. I still have the pass, it is for mission 61-B and has a warning on the back about what to do if the cloud from the launch moves in your direction :D ...

Yep, Cocoa Beach is where we stayed as well.

Well actually we had to stay in the town of Cocoa(just a few miles from Cocoa Beach), CB was booked up. :)

A relative got us a pass to view the launch from Cape Canaveral AFS, as close as people were allowed to be. I still have the pass, it is for mission 61-B and has a warning on the back about what to do if the cloud from the launch moves in your direction :D

Wow! Nice. I have no relatives with connections to anything. :( But I have what they called a "car pass" back then(STS-88 launch) that I sent off for...but we never made that trip so I just kept it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)