I hope I didn't make a mistake. getting mine tomorrow

cloudy

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
Zimmerman, MN
From what I've read on a lot of threads, it sounds like a lot of people regret having upgraded to the 922.
Well, my system is getting updated tomorrow with the EA and 922.
I sure hope I didn't make a mistake.
When I saw this thing show up at CES of 2009, I wanted it pretty bad.

I just hope it runs properly. I really don't care if I have to learn to do things differently.

i love the 922
although i love having the best/newest tech
i don't regret getting it at all and i bet you wont either

Thank you for that. I was hoping to hear that from people.
I do have a feeling I'll enjoy it. I just think too many people get frustrated when things change too drastically from one generation to the next (622 to 922).

Got mine in May. I wish now I had gotten it when it was first available. Yeah, there are some problems but I was aware of each and every problem before I got mine. The only thing I'm really anxious about now is the ability to write to an EHD. And the proper code for the yellow and blue buttons on my Harmony remote :p.

I'm sure you've read on the various forums to not get too concerned about some of the functions not working when you first turn it on. Just note what isn't working today and then try it again tomorrow afternoon. Time and a reboot or two seem to cure the start up problems :).

mine works fine also. But If the 922 is the best that dish has to offer I will be going back to dtv when my contract is up.

Just got upgraded to 922 today.
2 problems so far. First off, the remote freezes up the system sometimes if hitting a "sling" button. Installer re-set to default. Hopefully that fixed it.

And what's really bugging me is that the logo's aren't showing up in the guide (Just get grey boxes with the number, channel name and HD log, but not Station Logo's). I really liked the idea of that feature, but it's not working.
Does anybody think it might correct itself after a forced guide update tonight?

Also is there a way to force an update? Haven't figured one out for the 922. And not sure if it would work anyway.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Just got upgraded to 922 today.
2 problems so far. First off, the remote freezes up the system sometimes if hitting a "sling" button. Installer re-set to default. Hopefully that fixed it.

And what's really bugging me is that the logo's aren't showing up in the guide (Just get grey boxes with the number, channel name and HD log, but not Station Logo's). I really liked the idea of that feature, but it's not working.
Does anybody think it might correct itself after a forced guide update tonight?

Also is there a way to force an update? Haven't figured one out for the 922. And not sure if it would work anyway.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
The issues you mention should fix themselves when the 922 updates to the latest software. You could try to force an update by going into the menu and changing the time it automatically updates to a time in the near future, instead of in the middle of the night. I'm not sure if that is an option before it updates, though. It still may take a day or two for all the issues to resolve, however, like the freeze-up when trying to access certain menu items like Sling, My Account, and Weather.
Try to be patient and let the box resolve things, and you should be happy with it.

The issues you mention should fix themselves when the 922 updates to the latest software. You could try to force an update by going into the menu and changing the time it automatically updates to a time in the near future, instead of in the middle of the night. I'm not sure if that is an option before it updates, though. It still may take a day or two for all the issues to resolve, however, like the freeze-up when trying to access certain menu items like Sling, My Account, and Weather.
Try to be patient and let the box resolve things, and you should be happy with it.

Thanks for the heads up.
I'd much rather get FORUM suggestions than bug the crap out of the CSR who have little knowledge of the unit in the first place.

I'll just go about getting my new 722 set up to my preferred favorites lists and DVR settings. And hold off on my 922 until tomorrow.

I also can't use the sling feature yet. My PC does see the DVR and such but it won't let me watch yet. I expect that's also part of the "let it sit for a day to update" way of going about things.

As mentioned above be patient, most of the issues you have mentioned are better the day after the installation. Tomorrow morning you will likely have a smile on your face.

yeah, give it at least a day to fully load everything. my channel logos took a day or two i believe. the one thing that is bugging me is that in the guide, the channel logos are cut off on the left of the screen, so if a fox channel is on there it just says ox. not a big deal but an annoyance. there is a screen in the settings menu to adjust the screen position but i've tried every tweek to it and still can't find a happy position. it lets you move it to the right, left, up, down but what it needs is a shrink function. kind of like resizing an open window on your pc. i can live with it for now.

yeah, give it at least a day to fully load everything. my channel logos took a day or two i believe. the one thing that is bugging me is that in the guide, the channel logos are cut off on the left of the screen, so if a fox channel is on there it just says ox. not a big deal but an annoyance. there is a screen in the settings menu to adjust the screen position but i've tried every tweek to it and still can't find a happy position. it lets you move it to the right, left, up, down but what it needs is a shrink function. kind of like resizing an open window on your pc. i can live with it for now.

Well, from reading many forums. Patience does seem to be the key.
got logos now, but can't get past the history channel on organizing a favorites list.
I think I'll just make it a Netflix instant watch night, and hope for good things in the morning.
I did find the settling allowing to move the picture. I've got the logo's cut off as well. I just assumed that happened because my HDTV is so old (10 years).

Thank you everybody (really) for all the messages on patience.
But wow, it sure makes you wonder what all is going on for the MANY hours in the background as everything updates.

Try the format button on the remote to change screen size, it is by the 0 button.

I did find the settling allowing to move the picture. I've got the logo's cut off as well. I just assumed that happened because my HDTV is so old (10 years).
Overscan is a known problem for some TVs, including my Mits that was manufactured this past April. A CSR told me it is being worked on. Guess that's another solution coming "soon". :D

Overscan is a known problem for some TVs, including my Mits that was manufactured this past April. A CSR told me it is being worked on. Guess that's another solution coming "soon". :D

that's what i figured it was. it is only on the dish menus, guide and such. the shows i watch seem to be in the full frame, just not the dvr menu, guide, etc. i had moved the screen position to the right and down, but that cuts off the program info a little at the top of the screen when you hit the select button. that is my only major complaint about it so far. had a problem out of the box but was resolved after setup was complete. so far so good

I was told when I called about this after 2 or 3 days that it is a known problem with some TVs. Something to do with the way the TV and source combined deal with the native overscan in the TV. The csr added my Mits model to the list.

So far most things are working.
Sling is working, Weather, broadband, DVR.

Only problem at this point (only been 20 hours, so I realize I've got another 48 or so to be patient for), is the Channels between about 110 and 157 seem to freeze things up.
I Can search through them using the right arrow button while in live tv.
But the Guide will lock up anytime I attempt to scroll through ANY of those channels.
Also, I can't get past 110 without locking up, while tryng to make a favorites list.
Oh well. If it's not working by Monday, I'll just have them bring out a new on next weekend.
But from what I've seen from you all, it should take care of itself.
I also don't think it ever did a guide update last night.
Unless the 922 does it quietly (unlike the 622 which sounded like a jet engine every night when it updated.
How many days can I look ahead, to know if I've got the full update?
Thanks again everybody for all your input.
It really has been helpful.

Im on my 4th receiver, every morning the receiver is in a power cycle and does that through out the day. Sometimes 1-2 times a day when I turn on the tv to watch it will show the Dish and sling logo saying starting up... All 4 receivers do that, never had one issue with the 722 I had. Requested dish to apply 200 dollars credit to account and take the POS back and give me back the 722, but they declined saying it is non refundable. I informed them that I will call everyday to get a new receiver with a tech until they do so. So we will see what happens. Another call going in today.

I got my 922 shortly after moving to Northern Cincinnati. We hadn't moved yet and Dish came out to install the dish a week before moving in.

The box was buggy as hell during the install.... I let it set for an entire week running without touching it and when we moved in the following week the box has been generally stable.

There are some issues with the box that I am ok with. However, I think it's a ripoff that they charge $200 for a box with so many issues after owning one for about 5 months now. Dish needs to get the sling issues fixed as well as the EHD recording problems.

This box is more stable than than a 921.... I would compare it to the old 721. The 721 had a ton of "features" that were either removed or simply never enabled but was overall a decent box.

I hope you enjoy the 922. It really isn't a bad box. Dish WAY overhyped it and therefore it will always have a bad reputation due to the fact they never got all the promised features into the box. For $200 you get the equivalent to a gimped 722k with a 1 TB hard drive, and a new guide interface. However it's missing several of the 722's features and also missing a decent TV2 output (Sling issues). The flagship box from Dish is still the 722k IMHO.

Well, by mid day yesterday, my guide and favorites list editing stopped freezing on me.
Finally I can spend some time enjoying my new 922.

With Dishonline.com going live this week, hopefully it will open up better streaming with the 922 slingbox functionality as well. Here's hoping anyway.

Cloudy.

Once the bugs work themselves out, you'll dig it.

I have had mine since beta testing and word has it that this receiver is just going to get bigger, better ans badder.

Cheers.

Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)