I-Independent Television off D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.
ADent said:
BTW its not just 255. It is most of* the local i/PAX stations - they apparently didn't file for Must Carry status at the last election. Looks like 58 local stations to be pulled.

http://www.directv.com/see/landing/pax.html

(Thanx to post at DBSForums for link).

* - Edit - replaced "all" with "most of"

Our local (memphis) pax channel has the crapiest picture on directv. It literally looks like something off of analog cable. I didn't even know we had it until TiVo recorded early edition--I think that is the name of it. I was like WTF?!?!?

I just checked and right now (930am on thursday), there is a Quizno's subs infomercial on. WTF does quiznos need an infomercial for?

chadzx11 said:
Our local (memphis) pax channel has the crapiest picture on directv. It literally looks like something off of analog cable. I didn't even know we had it until TiVo recorded early edition--I think that is the name of it. I was like WTF?!?!?

I just checked and right now (930am on thursday), there is a Quizno's subs infomercial on. WTF does quiznos need an infomercial for?

"looks like something off analog cable" ? DirecTV and Dish both receives the signal in analog through a head end site, then use fiber to the up link. Here DirecTV carries UPN which is out and away from the rest of the networks and you can really tell it is pulled in off antenna. there head ends (tower site) are usually right there close to the towers so it doesn't have all the electrical and atmosphere interference. In another adjoining DMA, they have fiber pulled from one station into the head end site because the signal over shot the tower.

this is terrible news! my family loves pax, their shows are valued by all in my family. i will call d* immediately to ask them to reconsider and get everyone in our church group to do the same.

tobyanders said:
this is terrible news! my family loves pax, their shows are valued by all in my family. i will call d* immediately to ask them to reconsider and get everyone in our church group to do the same.

with I channel not agreeing to their original plan (to have more family friendly programming) and instead showing 90% infomercials, the DBS companies had to do something

Some of the local Pax stations are staying

cablewithaview said:
The cable system I work for has decided to drop iTV for America One at the first of March. For those that don't know what America One is, go here: http://www.americaone.com/

(Music starts playing)

Who's that riding into the sun.
Who's the man with the itchy gun.
Who's the man who kills for fun!
Psycho Dad. Psycho Dad. Psycho Dad!
He sleeps with a gun, but he loves his son.
Killed his wife 'cause she weighed a ton... Psycho Dad!

tobyanders said:

We had compliants about our local station showing infomercials. WPXH, Birmingham, AL is coming off and gone March 1st. There is enough infomercials as it is, why have more ?

chadzx11 said:

Franchises. That's where the real money in fast food is. :hungry:

projectorsrule said:
Columbus i doesn't have near as much paid programming as other i locals or the national i. The list seems to indicate Columbus i will still be carried in the locals.

We watch it a fair amount of the time with our child since their shows like Green Acres and Mr. ED are much more family friendly than "kids" shows like "Teenage Blatant Homosexuals" and "Yu-Gi-Oh I wanna puke".

I dont even know if the Columbus affilliate of I-tv is even running Itv programming anymore (they run SAH overnights but that's seperate from being i-tv) after PAX folded into "I-TV" WSFJ 51 Columbus reimaged themselves as "GTN 51" Gardian Television as they call it (their own in house production company). WSFJ is not owned by PAX and never has been (they used to have someone SCREEN pax programming for "family friendlyness" and "edit out" "possibly non family friendly content" they are not owned by Pax so I dont think D* would drop them.

I did a quick look through my onscreen guide and found 7.5 hours of "real" programming and 16.5 hours of infomercials on the Atlanta iTV affiliate.

I wish they'd replace it with The Men's Channel.

dervari said:
I did a quick look through my onscreen guide and found 7.5 hours of "real" programming and 16.5 hours of infomercials on the Atlanta iTV affiliate.

I wish they'd replace it with The Men's Channel.

Birmingham affiliate isn't much better. Where I am at, I can pick up WPXA and WPXH. The only thing I liked about WPXA Rome/Atlanta was the delay taping of WXIA news. I can pick up that channel with an antenna pretty good.

I'm sure this will make lots of people really unhappy. The last I knew...the Florida Marlins and the Tampabay Devil Rays had about half of their games broadcast over their local Pax channels. :mad: Then again...maybe it's a blessing in disguise. :)

The Devil Rays are supossed to move to Sun Sports so that they can have all their games there and not have to share FSN florida with the marlins, but I don't think that has happened.

Yes, the Rays games are my only concern with dropping the channel, even given the generally poor picture of the channel. Maybe this will motivate the Rays to find a better home for this portion of their TV schedule.

Larry said:
I'm sure this will make lots of people really unhappy. The last I knew...the Florida Marlins and the Tampabay Devil Rays had about half of their games broadcast over their local Pax channels. :mad: Then again...maybe it's a blessing in disguise. :)

BFG said:
The Devil Rays are supossed to move to Sun Sports so that they can have all their games there and not have to share FSN florida with the marlins, but I don't think that has happened.

Nope, it hasn't happened yet. Games this year are split between FSN and PAX-66. Maybe you have the gameplan for next year. :)

bwaldron said:
Yes, the Rays games are my only concern with dropping the channel, even given the generally poor picture of the channel. Maybe this will motivate the Rays to find a better home for this portion of their TV schedule.

You are right...the PQ is horrible. I can get the digital feed (66-1) OTA and it's a bit easier on the eyes.

What's going on? It's march 1st and I am still getting both of my I's (local and national.) Did they change their mind?

kdarcangelis870 said:
What's going on? It's march 1st and I am still getting both of my I's (local and national.) Did they change their mind?

Word going around is that it will be gone after today. This according to a crawl on the I national feed on ch.255 and on some of the local stations. I say good riddance.

I still am recieving the Pax stations here in the Los Angeles market. Are the stations only being pulled in certain cities?

Directvisforme said:
Channel 255 will end on 2-28-06.This has been confirmed by a CSR.Its no suprise since most off the night and morning is paid programs.I hope Sleuth goes on in its place.The CSR couldnt tell me what it would be replaced with.

SPECIES11703 said:
I still am recieving the Pax stations here in the Los Angeles market. Are the stations only being pulled in certain cities?

this is the text of the link posted in the 2nd post of this thread, LA being one of them:
We're committed to making DIRECTV your family's ultimate entertainment experience by offering you the best programming at the best price.

When DIRECTV agreed to carry iTV (formerly the national PAX TV network) and PAX local stations, the owners promised that their programming would consist of general, family-oriented entertainment. Now, most of their programming consists of infomercials and other promotional shows. As a result, we have terminated our agreement to carry iTV and local PAX stations. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. We believe that this change was necessary to uphold our standards and meet the expectations of our customers.

The PAX stations affected by these changes:

Atlanta, GA WPXA 14
Birmingham, AL WPXH 44
Boston, MA WBPX 68
Buffalo, NY WPXJ 51
Chicago, IL WCPX 38
Cleveland, OH WVPX 23
Dallas, TX KPXD 68
Denver, CO KPXC 59
Detroit, MI WPXD 31
Grand Rapids, MI WZPX 43
Greensboro, NC WGPX 16
Houston, TX KPXB 49
Indianapolis, IN WIPX 63
Kansas City, MO KPXE 50
Los Angeles, CA KPXN 30
Louisville, KY WBNA 21
Miami, FL WPXM 35
Milwaukee, WI WPXE 55
Minneapolis, MN KPXM 41
New York, NY WPXN 31
Norfolk, VA WPXV 49
Oklahoma City, OK KOPX 62
Orlando, FL WOPX 56
Philadelphia, PA WPPX 61
Phoenix, AZ KPPX 51
Portland, OR KPXG 22
Raleigh-Durham, NC WRPX 47
WFPX 62
Sacramento, CA KSPX 29
Salt Lake City, UT KUPX 16
San Antonio, TX KPXL 26
San Francisco, CA KKPX 65
Seattle, WA KWPX 33
Tampa, FL WXPX 66
Washington, DC WWPX 60
WPXW 66
West Palm Beach, FL WPXP 67

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)